3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HTT 62, & boost#'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTT 62, & boost#'s

I put an HTT 62/13ss/65 on when I upgraded to the Sr. The rest of my mods in sig. I have run it now for about a month, & have some ?'s.
On Smarty Sw9 Aftermarket Turbo/Stock Inj Mod TQM I have trouble reaching 40# boost with the truck empty. I can hit 30# easy,but @ WFO I can only get 38-39#. With a heavy load on ,I can hit 40#. I'm pretty sure I don't have any leaks. Does this sound normal?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:58 PM

My HTT 64/65/13ss would only hit 38 lbs with Smarty. Stacked with TST it will make easily make 48lbs of boost. Odd thing was, I set TST to 0 on power and torque, with 12 degrees of auto timing and Smarty on 8 and was still able to make 48 lbs of boost. So I'm not sure myself. I initially thought is was the extra fueling, but I have heard some people say that they tend to make boost easier/faster once "broken in". I believe you can change the boost elbow to an adjustable one to make more boost without having to adjust the wastgate actuator. You can call HTT to find out for sure. I'll post up if I find out anymore. Tac
Old 03-23-2008, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's odd, I can spool my 62/71 to no tomorrow, and i'm running 3.11 aft. turbo/stock inj. it takes a little time to get there from 30psi, but it still gets there quick. You could try adjusting your wastegate, it should be set at 40-42psi from HTT, so if you turn it up you will have more boost while towing. I would suggest turning it up to about 44-46psi.

How long have you had the turbo in? I know mine is loosening up now, gets quicker everyday!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:51 PM

Interesting. I talked to my Diesel guy yesterday. We have decided the 61/65/13ss would be good for me at this time. He did tell me that my boost might be a tad less with the new turbo (compared to the stocker), but power will definitely be better, DP's will be lower, and EGT's will be better.

I hope I am recalling the conversation correctly regarding boost. There might have been other lil' tidbits of info that I am forgetting.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:02 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Smarty 4.11 Stock inj/ aft turbo program mild torque management. ATS exhaust manifold

38# end of story.

but thats on an 03 305/555 truck. gets to 34 right quick little slower to build up from 34-38. i think mines opening up a hair too early. thats alright 10k on since i bought it and it spools just like it did on day one.

DD
Old 03-23-2008, 04:36 PM

htt 62/65/14 mine spooled to 38-40lbs with orignal boost fitting and i took it out and put in the boost fitting that comes with an edge ez now the highest ive seen is 46-47lbs with the mods in my sig
Old 03-23-2008, 05:07 PM

My turbo has only been on for about 600 miles. It is loosening up some. The power is awesome. I think it may be that with the truck empty, I can't stand on it long enough to get it there. Allmost as soon as the pedal hits the mat I have to get out of it or over rev the engine. With the camper on, I can hold it down for a little while longer, & I'll see 40#. Spools fast, just won't get to 40# when it's empty. I called HTT, & asked them about turning up the boost, but they said It would not be a good idea. He said this turbo is set for 40# because if you turn it up te extra psi is from heat expansion, & will in turn raise drive psi, & I'd lose HP. In a few weeks I'll be loading my camper for turkey season, & that should get it broke in good. I have 4 mountain passes to cross @ highway speeds to get there.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 PM

I agree, i just suggested it so it would allow for 40psi max when empty. But as said above, these turbos are more effecient w/o the high boost.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
read my troubles.....

http://www.nwbombers.com/forums/inde...6&#entry425026
Old 03-23-2008, 10:14 PM

I'm not as impressed with my HTT 62 14 as I thought I would be. At my elevation 6500 ft it still spools well but struggles to keep egts reasonable now that I have bigger tires. I can see spikes to around 50 psi with a edge boost elbow installed. I took the truck down to 2000 ft and this turbo was awsome it spooled fast and I saw my 60 psi boost gauge spiked a couple times. It runs cooler than my stocker but not near as cool as I want especially since I know what a pain it is to swap a head when you drop a valve seat.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:50 PM

Got Juice. I don't have any problems like that. Mine spools up fast, & once all the soot is burned out from a few weeks driving around town It cleans up to a haze @ WOT. Haven't seen above 1250* either, & that was @ WOT with my camper in the box. (12K#) going up hill. I was able to hit 40# easy with the camper on. Just can't seem to get it there empty. Maybe I got a 62/13ss/71? Don't know for sure, & I'm not removing it to find out. All things considered, I like the turbo. Just getting used to it. I'll say one thing. This set up REALY PULLS!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:02 AM

What are you using to monitor the Boost? Is it a mechanical gauge? My edge juice would only ready 35 pounds of bosst and when I put my mechanical gauge on I figured out I was hitting 50+. Sounds like your doing ok though. No excessive amount of smoke at WOT, low egts and 430hp sounds like a decent number with what you have. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by bigwheels94
Got Juice. I don't have any problems like that. Mine spools up fast, & once all the soot is burned out from a few weeks driving around town It cleans up to a haze @ WOT. Haven't seen above 1250* either, & that was @ WOT with my camper in the box. (12K#) going up hill. I was able to hit 40# easy with the camper on. Just can't seem to get it there empty. Maybe I got a 62/13ss/71? Don't know for sure, & I'm not removing it to find out. All things considered, I like the turbo. Just getting used to it. I'll say one thing. This set up REALY PULLS!
All I can think of is one of 2 things. I have ruled out boost leaks, and exhaust leaks. I have used regulated air to set the gate, and adjusted the elbow. Both boost foolers are installed and working fine. I have enough fuel so I do not clean up which leads me to believe it is only one of 2 things.

1. Flappers are not completely closing off the Wategate port. That would cause slow spool issues, and limit boost to the higher rpm range. Since the gate does not fully seat it never makes it past the point where the wastegate will trip open. Since adding more preload to the wastegate itself, I should see more boost. Instead I am seeing more drive pressure. That tells me the gate itself *MIGHT* be the problem.

2. I might have a wheel issue. It could be a 1.5-2mm difference between housing and wheel. This makes the most sense. It would explain both the low boost and slow spool issue. without equivocation, this, more than the wastegate issue makes the most sense since adjusting the gate has increased drive pressure, egt's and boost has stayed the same.

I might add, Brett and Industrial, and Jason Burton at Northwest Customs have been great at their troubleshooting suggestions, and have a new turbo en route as we speak. If it is the wastegate, we can simply swap housings and be on the road again, and send the new turbo back with the problem housing. If it is a compressor section issue, we will simply swap out the turbo and send the other one back.

I am happy to say that neither company gave me any grief in regards to this. I had tested the turbo before and found no drag, and there was no movement in the shaft. In fact this turbo is smoother than my NIB Holset turbo is, so I expect that this is nothing short of a fluke. EVERYONE at some point lays the odd egg. And when I go back down, I fully expect Jason to retest my truck for DP, Boost Fooling, Boost Leaks and Exhaust leaks just to be sure. I myself am not above making a mistake either.

Bottom line is they are both stepping up and making sure that their customer is happy.
You don't get that from Ebay, or 'net only companies' . That speaks volumes to me of their character, and will influence my purchases from them in the future as being a positive experience.

So in 2 weeks time, all should be well in turboland.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kman9090
What are you using to monitor the Boost? Is it a mechanical gauge? My edge juice would only ready 35 pounds of bosst and when I put my mechanical gauge on I figured out I was hitting 50+. Sounds like your doing ok though. No excessive amount of smoke at WOT, low egts and 430hp sounds like a decent number with what you have. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
Good question, but I know the limits of the MAP sensor. Previous truck was a Twin Turbo Duramax by MPI Turbosystems, so I am well acquainted with their resolution and range.

Gauges are : Isspro 0-60 Boost, 0-1600F Pyro, and 0-300F Temp.

Gauges are: Isspro PERFORMAX BETA 0-100 Boost, 0-2000F Pyrometer, and 0-280 temp.

So I am well covered on the Gauge front. Next up is the CAC Temp Gauge similar to the one found in ANDIAL 935DP Flaschbau Porsches.

All things being equal, I have been well taken care of. And I am grateful to the advice given here and on NWBombers.
Both places were very thorough in helping me troubleshoot this issue.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tacsavage
My HTT 64/65/13ss would only hit 38 lbs with Smarty. Stacked with TST it will make easily make 48lbs of boost. Odd thing was, I set TST to 0 on power and torque, with 12 degrees of auto timing and Smarty on 8 and was still able to make 48 lbs of boost. So I'm not sure myself. I initially thought is was the extra fueling, but I have heard some people say that they tend to make boost easier/faster once "broken in". I believe you can change the boost elbow to an adjustable one to make more boost without having to adjust the wastgate actuator. You can call HTT to find out for sure. I'll post up if I find out anymore. Tac

If the TST was not even installed on your truck, and you were on level 9, any idea how similar the results would be? Does the Smarty add a similar amount of timing compared to the TST? This might be s stupid question, as I am unfamiliar with the TST.

Thanx.

Quick Reply: HTT 62, & boost#'s