3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How much timing is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much timing is too much?

I have a Quad Race box with a pressure only tune and can tell the difference between settings using the fuel and rail pressure guage. I was wondering about timing though. I have read many posts were people worry about to much timimg with the Edge Juice that I have. I have recently added the Diablo Predator to my truck and was wondering what was safe. I used to run the Edge on 3/5 and the Quad Race on 1 and got great performance and mileage. I have run the regular Performance and Extreme tune on the predator and I think they are great. I did add the Juice to the Predator the other day on 1/5 with the predator on the extreme toon on the highway and he boost went down 1lbs. Without a custom toon can I run all my chips? What about for short racing bursts?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:48 PM

i'm running the edge hot juice and a rokktec crank sensor and haven't had any timing problems yet. i have asked edge how much timing the hot juice adds and they won't say.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
scary larry adds about 23 or 24 degrees of timing and that is about the limit on 04.5 and 05 the 06 can take a little wore but not much
Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 AM

This raises an interesting question I've been thinking about for a little while. How do you know (or do you know short of damage?) when you are getting into terrortory that is dangerous to your engine? Is this a lot of "pinging" from timing or do you get too high EGT's or is there any warning signs?
I've seen pictures of damaged engines with their heads off, close ups show small pits in the pistons, somebody said that these were signs of overfueling.
Another question that hopefully somebody knows the answer too-Any way to tell your timing by measurement that would be inside the cab? I've heard of tools that check it under the hood, how expensive are these tools?
Do you just increase your parameters until you don't get anymore performance increase and then turn them down until you start to lose performance and leave them there? How do you tune this things because I'm reading that some tunes (Smarty, TST, etc.) don't work as well for some engines as others (In my case I've heard it's possible that what works on my 05 might not work on somebody else's 05, and vice versa. Lotta questions, can anybody answer one or two?
TIA.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Banned

Sometimes you will get a warning sign like the pinging or rattlling, but not always. With too much timing it can seem to run great with safe EGT's and people have melted pistons without knowing anything was wrong.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:09 PM

Well I am at my fathers shop for the week so I can play with some handheld scanners and such to see if I can get an answer. If I find out anything I will let you know.