3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How Fast Is Fast?

Old 12-06-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Fast Is Fast?

I'm wondering how fast our trucks get...I mean, what would it take to put a sports car to shame, like say maybe a viper or a vette...is it even possible or are those speeds reserved for the really modded race-only trucks?

I know it is a really open question. But let's say one does the basics (tuner, intake, exhaust). Then the next step: compound turbos, more fuel, more programming, head studs, etc.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:14 PM

What does it take? Money, money and some more money.

Line up a 600hp Vette and a 600hp Cummins and I bet the Vette takes it almost all the time. Mainly due to weight. Of course their are exceptions to this.

You have exceptions like the Dreaver truck that runs low 10's (maybe even better times now), but those are purpose built trucks. I don't think trucks like that get driven on a daily basis.

You might see alot of guys bragging about eating sports cars for lunch but those that are bragging are probably double the HP of that "stock" car they are racing.

But I guess to answer your question, yes for a truck these vehicles can haul the mail.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:39 PM

there are ten sec daily drivers out there. id say its fairly easy with a common rail, because of the big tuners like smarty that can add 200 plus hp and you have the option of turning them up or down.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
John P routinely puts vipers and vettes to shame with his 96 12 valve, but he is pushing 900 HP
Old 12-06-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by lvmknsmoke..
there are ten sec daily drivers out there. id say its fairly easy with a common rail, because of the big tuners like smarty that can add 200 plus hp and you have the option of turning them up or down.
No I doubt there are many 10 sec daily drivers out there. A 10 sec 1/4 mile is really fast. Takes a lot more than a smarty to go that fast. Low 13s and high 12s are pretty easy to get to, but faster than that gets really expensive.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EdmontonCanada
I'm wondering how fast our trucks get...I mean, what would it take to put a sports car to shame, like say maybe a viper or a vette...is it even possible or are those speeds reserved for the really modded race-only trucks?

I know it is a really open question. But let's say one does the basics (tuner, intake, exhaust). Then the next step: compound turbos, more fuel, more programming, head studs, etc.
It would take a lot. Power:Weight is king at the drag strip. You're trying to launch a nearly 3.5 ton vehicle off the line. And then, once you get about 80mph or so, you have to worry about aerodynamics. I think the Ram is about as aerodynamic as my garage. The drag coefficient of a 'Vette is about .29; the ram's is about .43.

A stock Viper can run anywhere from low 11's to low 13's, depending on year/model. Corvettes are pretty similar. A few simple mods that many owners do can easily shave off a full second. What would it take to get a Ram into the mid 10's?

Lots of people brag about "killing" a sports car like a Corvette or Viper. Especially the Mustang GT guys. Unless you passed him at well over 100mph, he's not racing. The top speed of the average Viper is 180+mph; the 2010 models top out at 202mph.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
John P routinely puts vipers and vettes to shame with his 96 12 valve, but he is pushing 900 HP
Yea thats one of the exceptions right there. He's probably putting stock Vettes and Vipers to shame, if they are not stock then they are lightly modded.

You won't see a 900hp Cummins eat a 900hp sports car for lunch.

Can someone actually show me a 10 second daily driver? I don't mean a truck that has to have all the boxes pulled off and the nitrous shut off to drive around. Im talking about pulling 10's all day everyday.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel87
No I doubt there are many 10 sec daily drivers out there. A 10 sec 1/4 mile is really fast. Takes a lot more than a smarty to go that fast. Low 13s and high 12s are pretty easy to get to, but faster than that gets really expensive.
uh ya it takes more than a smarty, im just sayin if your doin for example 800 hp with th smarty or wat ever turned up against your more like down to 550 or 600 with it turned off. of course you'll have to have monster twins or huge single and huge injectors, dual pumps and engine work to get to that power level. but 600 or 700 hp can be used as a daily driver.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:56 PM

Fast is, as fast as your wallet will allow you to go.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:31 PM

I realize there is a weight issue, aerodynamics, etc. And I'm not looking at going WAY over the speed limits.

I just wonder with the different "levels", who's butt can I kick off the line when going from 0 to either 60 km/h or 0 to 100 km/h (road speed limits)? And from all I know now, there are three general (read $$$) levels: the easy mods (exhaust, programmer, etc.), the more involved (compound turbos, transmission, head studs), and the complex (rebuilding the motor, cams, tons of nitrous, etc.)

And apart from Vipers and Vettes, what about taking on luxury sport vehicles like BMW, Mercedes, etc.

I'm talking in generalities...a very general feel for car class vs. ballpark hp needed in the dodge.

I think it would be fun to spank the *** off some of these luxury cars with my super heavy truck.

And I tried it once...I had a porche tailgaiting me as we pulled into a turn lane for the freeway. The light turned green. Me and my empty utility trailer got onto the freeway....

HAMMERED IT!

I look back in my mirror and...where is he...?

He stopped dead cold on the freeway to wait for the cloud of smoke to disappear.

Oops. I failed to realize he had his top down.

Needless to say, I got a a long view of his middle finger and an earfull of some inaudible shouting as he turned off to another freeway.

Porche driver =

...hmmm...I guess that's one way to win...
Old 12-06-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EdmontonCanada

Needless to say, I got a a long view of his middle finger and an earfull of some inaudible shouting as he turned off to another freeway.

Porche driver =

...hmmm...I guess that's one way to win...
Do you know the differance between a porsche and a porcupine?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:04 PM

05 dodge extra cab 4x4,full billet suncoast tranny,arp head studds,sofab custom twins,smarty tnt-r ,ts mp8,dual fuelers from ats with stage 2 II pumps top and bottom,and wicked diesel injects.i can run upper 10s on fuel and with the 3 stages of nos i can scare 9s.that being said without drag radials it al all but impossible to put the power to use.70 mph going down the interstate,lock it in 4 wheel drive and kick it and the truck will blow the tires off and switch lanes at will.truck can be driven every day and was often times until recently when a guy and his money seperated us...
Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porcupine has quills a Porshe owner has lots of BILL$.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:10 PM

Well sure you can whip up on some luxury cars, but be forewarned. Alot of them are wolfs in sheep's clothing.

And it's not very often you're going to be neck and neck at a stop light w/ a sports or luxury car thats going to want to race anyways.

You didn't happen to burn the doors off a Porsche Boxster did you? If so, those don't count.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:13 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am in 11's and tow my 10k travel trailer to the event. Without changing anything. I daily drive 130 miles a day round trip tuned at over 800 and flip a switch (pressure box) for over 900. A little squeeze and ???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Fast Is Fast?