3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

How do 3rd gen wastegates work exactly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can substain 25 ish stock and empty. i cant see the 32 spike. only with it pinched. i think my problem is injectors.

as for gauges, im going into city next weekend and will look but i cant find anyone that sells isspro in canada or in the US that will send it canada. dieselmanor wont ship to canada.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sallyman1
i can substain 25 ish stock and empty. i cant see the 32 spike. only with it pinched. i think my problem is injectors.

as for gauges, im going into city next weekend and will look but i cant find anyone that sells isspro in canada or in the US that will send it canada. dieselmanor wont ship to canada.

If you pinch the line and it fixes your problem that is NOT injector related.... That has nothing to do with injectors... when you pinch the line you are keeping the wastegate from opening...

Plug a boost fooler in, if it changes nothing (not pinched) then you have a wastegate solenoid issue, if it does change something I would guess you have a MAP sensor issue. But I can not see anyway its injector related when pinching the line fixes it.

EDIT: You do have a boost fooler... so there you go, the wastegate solenoid on the intake side of the turbo is most likly stuck in the open position.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:36 AM

i have the edge juice attitude that boost fools yes. Pinching wastegate line doesnt solve my EGT problem it just postpones it a while longer. I can still hit 1400 with line pinched at 42 psi on highway unloaded. So u say not injector related?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:54 AM

i have the edge juice attitude that boost fools yes. Pinching wastegate line doesnt solve my EGT problem it just postpones it a while longer. I can still hit 1400 with line pinched at 42 psi on highway unloaded. So u say not injector related?
You have a Cummins 600, they hit 1400*+ stock, now your dumping more fuel with the Edge, so no I dont think its an injector issue... Its a issue of being a Cummins 600 with a box/chip/programmer other than smarty... If you want lower EGT's you need a different turbo or a different chip. Turn your Edge off, what do you get for EGT's and boost? But 1400* is VERY common for a stock or modified 04.5-07 5.9.... The timing was very retarded from the factory for emissions reasons, thus higher EGT's, that is why Marco gets 40hp with the Smarty jr on timing only...

You have a wastegate issue... I would be curious what your boost and EGT readings are stock....But based on the fact that pinching the line gives you more boost with a boost fooler you have a wastegate solenoid issue.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have an Edge Juice issue not an injector issue.

Thats pretty normal EGT's for the Edge with a stock turbo.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:07 PM

seriously. so im chasing ghosts. so 1400F is normal stock? why didnt you say so. ill just run her up to 1400 and no more then. As for smarty which is the good one to get? how many are there? Sr or Jr. which ones erase and clear codes? what can u all monitor with them?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He351cw, 04.5+ can push 67 lb/min of air, that is enough to cool 450 HP. They can be pushed to 40+ with no longevity issues.

1400* empty is too hot for stock unloaded, should be a little lower. Sounds to me like the solenoid is stuck shut. I'll bet a new 300 dollar solenoid will fix this, but instead of wasting money, unless you can get warranty to cover this, rig up the wastegate controller like I mentioned.

The reason, I think, the Juice is not allowing for more boost is because although it tricks the ecm and tells it to open the solenoid, the solenoid is faulty so it does not open and let boost rise.

Your Juice does boost fooling at the map sensor, so even if you push a lot more air 40 psi, the ecm will only see 26 so your truck will run just fine. Your turbo will live a long life at 40 psi.

You could also adjust the rod length, but since it is pinned, you cannot easily adjust it's length. You could put a washer under the wastegate head to space it forward a washer width. This will only net you about 4 more lbs of boost. If you want ultimate control, set up the wastegate controller like I mentioned.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:06 PM

but u still have to get out and physically adjust it. BUt i know what u mean. i can make one at work. all it is , is a one way valve and u are adjusting the orifice size until you get the right setting. ami right?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:13 PM

seriously. so im chasing ghosts. so 1400F is normal stock? why didnt you say so. ill just run her up to 1400 and no more then. As for smarty which is the good one to get? how many are there? Sr or Jr. which ones erase and clear codes? what can u all monitor with them?
There are 2 Smartys, Jr and Sr, Jr is for one mod and calling it good... It does 40, 70 or 100 hp, no aftermarket injector or turbo software, no monitoring (neither does Sr), but will read and clear codes....

As far 1400* stock, yes they will pull it, but most of us dont like it... You should see the color of my dads manifold from towing 10K stock, and that was with a pyro and keeping it at 1250* most the time, spikes occurred upwards of 1400*.... This is why dad and I run a Smarty Jr on out trucks, 1125ish is the hottest both dad and I have seen towing. The SW #1 on the Jr is "free" power since no extra fuel is added, 40 hp and better mpg's (thou not by much more than 1 if that), but when towing I have read the increase is greater (as you demand more hp)... I really like the no extra fuel, I think the motor has enough power for my use.. but I dont like the emissions based timing...

The Sr has more levels, 30hp - 230 hp, aftermarket injector and turbo software, read and clear codes....

With either Sr or Jr you should get analog gauges, in at least boost/EGT and trans if you have an auto.

The Smarty's are programmers, so no adjustability on the fly, which isn't really an issue. They also run cooler than any other chip because they have the most advanced timing map, for power/economy not emissions.

Whi

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
He351cw, 04.5+ can push 67 lb/min of air, that is enough to cool 450 HP. They can be pushed to 40+ with no longevity issues.

1400* empty is too hot for stock unloaded, should be a little lower. Sounds to me like the solenoid is stuck shut. I'll bet a new 300 dollar solenoid will fix this, but instead of wasting money, unless you can get warranty to cover this, rig up the wastegate controller like I mentioned.

The reason, I think, the Juice is not allowing for more boost is because although it tricks the ecm and tells it to open the solenoid, the solenoid is faulty so it does not open and let boost rise.

Your Juice does boost fooling at the map sensor, so even if you push a lot more air 40 psi, the ecm will only see 26 so your truck will run just fine. Your turbo will live a long life at 40 psi.

You could also adjust the rod length, but since it is pinned, you cannot easily adjust it's length. You could put a washer under the wastegate head to space it forward a washer width. This will only net you about 4 more lbs of boost. If you want ultimate control, set up the wastegate controller like I mentioned.
Very good post.... I think he would be best getting a new solenoid, even at $300... thou it may not be used with a chip... he could probably find one in a junkyard???
Old 03-09-2008, 02:12 PM

thanks guys. ill still post video this afternoon with wastegate line pinched. then u can see if it sounds different.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

1400* stock is completely normal for an '04.5. Some people see higher than that with completely stock trucks.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:38 PM

thanks russel.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Blue24
1400* empty is too hot for stock unloaded, should be a little lower.
Nope, 1400 is normal for a stock 600 series engine. They built them to run that way and Cunmmins says they wil take it. That temp is perfectly normal for a truck with an Edge on it also. Thats just the way the it fuels.

The Edge Juice is little on the hot side with the stock turbo and its boost fooling leaves something to be desired at times. Until you have analog gauges and can verify what you have for boost and temp I would not try anything too much different.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will admit that I do not own a third gen 04.5+ but I do know that it is still cold in Canada this time of year. I have also followed Sallyman's many many posts and he has stated in the past that he can hit 1400* empty, winter temps, with edge turned to stock. His temps are not far off, but I think ... know that his truck should be pushing a little more boost than it does. He has already tested out the vice grips trick and he runs cooler!

I know that his motor has extra oil cooling gets, better piston crowns yada yada, and that 1400* isn't hurting anything. But he could have more useable power if his wastegate issue were to be solved.

Sallyman, that controller I listed has a steel ball and spring inside that lets no pressure though till pressure is great enough to push back the ball bearing and spring combination. It has an adjustment screw to adjust the preload on the spring and thus adjust boost. Your actual wastegate will still open like normal when 26 psi pushes on the wastegate head, but zero pressure gets to the head till it overcomes your controller's adjustable spring-ball combination in the middle of the line.

Sallyman, I think your truck is fine for running around stock, but if you want to use your edge, which I think you do, you need more boost to keep her cool and more boost for more HP. I'd give you my solenoid to try out but then I'd have to rig up a fancy pipe plug to fill the hole. I am obviously not using the solenoid as I have no way to control it.

You can do what you want, but i would either rig up controller or just run around with vice grips. The vice grips really won't hurt ya till you add so much fuel, ie stacking, injectors, etc, that you start to push near 50 psi of boost. Once you are over 45, I think your turbo is close to grenade speed and longevity will suffer. If all that you can hit is 45psi, WOT with Juice set on kill mode, thats just fine, leave the vice grips crimped on the line.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:08 PM

wheres link for that valve again? i may as well buy 1 till my turbo goes.

also do you think my exhasut is sufficient? I have the factory 4" with CAT and STOCK MUFFLEr gone but i put a aero4040xl where cat was. some say i need 6 ". Im sure my exhaust setup is good for 550hp for sure

Quick Reply: How do 3rd gen wastegates work exactly?