3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How can i get traction on the strip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have factory rims, pm me if u need them. Nice times by the way!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 PM

u dont need to run ladder bars or a 4 link, get a set of Cal Trac traction bars and u will be golden.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
You don't need traction bars, etc. unless you are loosing traction from wheel hop. Get a locker in the front and do the tire pressure thing. If it was a 2x4 you could put 90/10 shocks up front to get some weight transfer to the back tires, but on a 4x4 your front tires are the ones that have the most bite potential. Get a locker and you won't have any more traction issues on dry pavement.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, when the drive axle under power is supporting a Hotchkiss-type suspension, the 3rd law of Newtonian physics dictates an equal amount of force will be applied to everything the drive axle is attached to - including the leaf springs.

All of the energy that is used to "S" the leaf springs would be better utilized to propel the vehicle forward...

of course, a nice fringe benefit to this conservation of energy is helping to prevent parts breakage due to wheelhop (but don't get me started on Murphy's Laws! )
Old 03-29-2007, 10:58 AM

ACook, You won't get 1/2 second just from tire pressure but also from finding the ideal launch boost, warming the rears with a good burnout, and ideal application of the go pedal....just mashing it doesn't give the optimum results off the line in my experience. If you aren't getting traction you also aren't making boost as you need the traction load to make power. I'm sure you will be faster but don't forget to mark the rims and tires....You don't want to take the under inflation too far and lose tire pressure...at speed. ks
Old 03-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
You don't need traction bars, etc. unless you are loosing traction from wheel hop. Get a locker in the front and do the tire pressure thing. If it was a 2x4 you could put 90/10 shocks up front to get some weight transfer to the back tires, but on a 4x4 your front tires are the ones that have the most bite potential. Get a locker and you won't have any more traction issues on dry pavement.
Traction arms are designed to prevent axle wrap, and transfer weight to the rear tires. Why would you change the front shocks to transfer weight to the rear tires? A shock will rebound quickly no matter what you are running, it is the amount of force applied to make the shock absorb a hit that is changed. You want the rear to drop fast with the front end coming up. So even in a 4x4 all the force is applied to the rear, therefore the front axle does not have the most bite potential.