3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Homemade 6" Air intake, AKA the "whistler", tech write-up **Part 2**

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sensor does come off, there is a little gray plastic piece, atleast it's gray on mine, that locks the plug to the sensor. Just use a flat head screwdriver and push it out to unplug the sensor. Be careful, because if you push too hard that gray plastic piece will fly through the air. Not likely but just a warning. Once you take the sensor off, drill the 1/2" hole for the probe and set the sensor, drill and tap one side and put the screw in. Once that one side it bolted drill the other side with sensor in place. Can't mess up that way

Hope that helps
Old 07-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still believe you are sucking hot ambient air even with the shield. Air density should be an issue.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Graphite 6
On a bit of a different note, I'm having trouble aligning my IAT sensor holes up.Does the sensor unplug like a lot of others?, This would help but I didn't want to break it? I basically ruined the first tube, I marked them, pilot drilled them etc, this is not exactly new to me, but when I got one hole lined or drilled correctly the other one was off. This was after checking and marking twice. Anyone else have this problem, or am I just lame, any other clues what I did wrong?? Thanks
some times you have to push the plug on more, before it will release going off.

are you drilling into the rubber boot's or did you fab you own sensor bung??
Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by annabelle
I still believe you are sucking hot ambient air even with the shield. Air density should be an issue.
with this set-up you are sucking the same amount of hot air as any other intake except maybe a fully boxed intake, BUT I really doubt that it is enough to hurt performance and I also doubt those fully enclosed intakes flow as much either(i have no proof tho)..I have my stock intake box on right now and my truck feels like a real dog...I really believe this intake makes a difference.
When I get more time I will scan the air temps with the stock box and stage II whistler on the same day and one after the other...I bet I will see a pretty nice air temp drop with my intake.
but the SOMP dyno says it makes a big difference..
also if you compare this intake to AFEII then you would see the box is just as enclosed as it.
my .02
Old 07-11-2007, 04:41 AM

Any updates on the shield for either the stage 1 or 2 setup??
Old 07-11-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by biggator60
Any updates on the shield for either the stage 1 or 2 setup??
there is no shield for the stage I, I set it up like this for a reason....
stage I can be run in the winter when air is really cold and you dont want it so cold that you may have an incomplete burn. so I kept in the engine compartment with no shield for stage I.
stage II shields are almost done I cut out 6 shields but I only bent one up with the new material cause I want to make sure it fits before I do them all.
I just need to do the final fitment today and take the shield to the powder coater.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 AM

Help

Thanks for your quick response, let me ask for your opinion.I live in south Fla where its a million degrees everyday..i have your stage one setup installed now..i bought the parts needed for the stage 2....after you fabricated the shield for stage 2 do you think that would be a better setup than the stage 1 with the climate that i live in?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:53 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas, I'll give it another try. 53Willys, yes it was the aluminum piece w/ the bung. Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Graphite 6
Thanks for all the suggestions fellas, I'll give it another try. 53Willys, yes it was the aluminum piece w/ the bung. Thanks again.
use smaller machine screws so you have more room for error.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:09 PM

So I just got in from the fit test and I failed
I must have been off a little on one bend so I have to try again.
this is my main problem right now is repeating the exact same bends each time. good thing I did not just go ahead and bend all 6 at once.
sorry guys I am hurrying as fast as I can...but I want it to be a quality piece so it must be perfect before I ship any out.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:59 PM

We appreciate your hard work. Not to mention all your quality info.

Thanks.
Rick.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 04 SO CA
We appreciate your hard work. Not to mention all your quality info.

Thanks.
Rick.
Thanks Rick...I have been really frustrated cause I want to get these out for you guys but I also want them to fit nice..thanks for being patience all.
there is alot more fab work involved then I realized too.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 PM

yea man thanks im glad u care bout us and our trucks enough to do it the right way,.... cant wait to get mine in
Old 07-18-2007, 08:45 AM

Not sure this has been brought up. At what point do you guys get whistle? I just put on an AFE PG7 on my whistler, and initial testing seems to be around 2K RPM, I'll do more testing but thought others might want to know w/the different filters.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 AM

mine starts at around 1000rpm(with high idle on)

Quick Reply: Homemade 6" Air intake, AKA the "whistler", tech write-up **Part 2**