3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Homemade 6" Air intake, AKA the "whistler", tech write-up **Part 2**

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Guys I got mine in everything is a go I put my IAT sensor in the rubber elbow, but everything fits pretty well! Little rubbing on the A/C line up front but gotta do some adjusting! ***** thanks for the idea man! I also would like to purchase a box! Thanks
Old 07-06-2007, 11:34 AM

I just finished up a majority of the install on mine. I will get the AIT bung tig welded either tonight or tomorrow and drill a hole for the filter minder.

I made an aluminum shield for mine today. Took about 3 hours to measure and bend it up by hand on the bench. I don't know how much heat it will block, but it fits nicely. It has a 2" lip to mount to the battery tray and a 6" lip up front (can't really see it). The base is 11" with a bend to a 8" section by the alternator. I placed a slit in some vacuum hose and covered the edges.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by proworks1
******, I just finished my stage I for my 6.7 and I like the way the turbo sings But I am having a couple of issues and one is that the check engine light is on and the other is that there is now a little bit of lag on the low end. I am not so sure there is anything I can do about that butdo you have any suggestions about the check engine light?
I don't know??? I have not even looked at a 6.7 in person do they have two intake sensors now?? that would suck it they are like gassers now....to much air throws everything outta whack?? like MASS setups??

take some pics and post up I wanna see what it looks like under there???

***Any Utah guys with a 6.7 post up and I will build one and see what it takes!!!!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Grocery Getter
Sounds great! Read through most of this. Not sure what is Stage I and II? Avail. for 6.7? Is the shield the part that closes the airbox from the engine compartment?

Very interested....
stage I is when you just use the one 90* elbow(5.5"x6.0") and stage II is when you buy a second 90* elbow(6.0"x6.0") and drop the filter down into the fender more...
the advantage to this two stage set-up is you could run stage I in the winter for warmer air and less chance of water...and Stage II in the summer when it is really hot and you want the coolest air you can get

Originally Posted by TXOVAL
Well *****'s too bad I live in TX, I would help you weld the sensor bungs if I could drop them off...I need to post pics of my latest model with the prefilter
thanks for the offer
post some pics when you get time I would like to see.....

Originally Posted by Insayn
I just finished up a majority of the install on mine. I will get the AIT bung tig welded either tonight or tomorrow and drill a hole for the filter minder.

I made an aluminum shield for mine today. Took about 3 hours to measure and bend it up by hand on the bench. I don't know how much heat it will block, but it fits nicely. It has a 2" lip to mount to the battery tray and a 6" lip up front (can't really see it). The base is 11" with a bend to a 8" section by the alternator. I placed a slit in some vacuum hose and covered the edges.
NICE!!!! great job...
what is the shield secured to???
Old 07-06-2007, 09:25 PM

I got all my parts and am working on fitting that sensor on the tube. Does it matter how deep the sensor goes into the intake?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Scraper4x4
I got all my parts and am working on fitting that sensor on the tube. Does it matter how deep the sensor goes into the intake?
just make it stick out about the same amount as stock...witch is about 1/2" IIRC. on the 5.9's it wont matter to much, just make sure the whole plastic piece with slots for the resistor is in the air flow stream......
clear as mud???
Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 PM

Naw...I understand what your saying...Thanks for the quick reply..I cant wait to get this thing going...Anyone see a mpg increase?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
NICE!!!! great job...
what is the shield secured to???
Thanks!
The shield is attached to the battery tray with aluminum pop rivets, has a tab secured onto the tray with aluminum pop rivets on the 8" section attaching to the front of the fan shroud and the 6" section in front attaches to the rear of the fan shroud/radiator with a cutout tab. Tomorrow the bung gets tig welded onto the tube and a thick tab will also be added to support the filter and tube.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:09 PM

Pic's of new 4" intake

sorry for the glare, I still need to clean it up but it works great

Old 07-09-2007, 08:26 PM

I don't know??? I have not even looked at a 6.7 in person do they have two intake sensors now?? that would suck it they are like gassers now....to much air throws everything outta whack?? like MASS setups??

take some pics and post up I wanna see what it looks like under there???

***Any Utah guys with a 6.7 post up and I will build one and see what it takes!!!!
I built one for my 6.7...I think it is getting to much air. It started hesitating. Put stock filter back in and it was fine. I also couldn't make as much boost with the new intake. I think you are correct that it messes with computer program but i may be wrong. Here is the pic>>>>> http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...85127164VWnMgC
Old 07-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Chapter President

Just so i know the flange is what clamps to the tubing correct? i am ordering my filter tonight so hurry. Thanks,
Old 07-09-2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fire Rescue124
Just so i know the flange is what clamps to the tubing correct? i am ordering my filter tonight so hurry. Thanks,
yes the flange is the part that clamps to the tubing....if you are making a 6" intake then you need=Amsoil part# EAAU6080
Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Chapter President

yes the flange is the part that clamps to the tubing....if you are making a 6" intake then you need=Amsoil part# EAAU6080
Thanks, i am making a 4" so i just order the 4090 i should be up and going by the end of the week. Thanks, 53

also need on the list for the Shield. do you know about what it is going to cost?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:18 PM

On a bit of a different note, I'm having trouble aligning my IAT sensor holes up.Does the sensor unplug like a lot of others?, This would help but I didn't want to break it? I basically ruined the first tube, I marked them, pilot drilled them etc, this is not exactly new to me, but when I got one hole lined or drilled correctly the other one was off. This was after checking and marking twice. Anyone else have this problem, or am I just lame, any other clues what I did wrong?? Thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 07:46 PM

You can drill the holes on the sensor a little larger if you have alignment issues. Mine lined up perfectly...
Try drilling the hole for the sensor filament with the chamfer is you choose....then mark and/or drill the mounting holes with the sensor in place to guide you.

Quick Reply: Homemade 6" Air intake, AKA the "whistler", tech write-up **Part 2**