3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help with tire balancing...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4not
This would be false information for Dodge trucks. Our trucks and wheels are lug-centric. That is why they use conical lug nuts. Plain and simple.

I have Dynabeads in my 315s right now, but I have another vibration that by far overpowers any balancing issues so I can't comment on how well they work.

My Dodge truck has hub centric wheels!!!

What is a Center Bore? Hub Centric vs. Lug Centric

The centerbore of a wheel is the size of the machined hole on the back of the wheel that centers the wheel properly on the hub of the car. Centerbores on wheels are typically a standard size by brand or size (measured in inches or mm). Hub sizes vary by vehicle brand and style.

When this hole is machined to exactly match the hub so the wheels are precisely positioned, minimizing the chance of a vibration, it is said that the wheel is “hub centric”.

Some wheels require centering rings that lock into place in the back of the wheel in order to become hub centric and reduce the risk of vibration while driving. This is an acceptable alternative.

If you don’t not have hub centric wheels (lug centric), they should be torqued correctly while the vehicle is still off of the ground so they center properly. The weight of the vehicle can push the wheel off-center slightly while you're tightening them down if left on the ground.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:43 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by 4x4not
This would be false information for Dodge trucks. Our trucks and wheels are lug-centric. That is why they use conical lug nuts. Plain and simple.

I have Dynabeads in my 315s right now, but I have another vibration that by far overpowers any balancing issues so I can't comment on how well they work.
Didn't know that but I think the person who started this thread has hummer wheels.

When I did own an H2(traded for my old 04 cummins) and went aftermarket wheels the Centric rings fixed the vibration problem.

Also when I went to 18's on my 04 Cummins again the vibration problem was fixed with centric rings again.

Running 22's on my 300C again the rings came to the rescue.

So I wonder why the stockers that I am running on my 06 are hub centric to the hub not needing rings?

Every car/truck I have owned and played with wheels always need rings to fix the vibration, more than a dozen vehicles.

looking forward to your answer, I have to believe anything with aftermarket wheels if not made to fit that one vehicle will need Hub Centric Rings...

Old 11-03-2006, 08:56 PM

I have BalanceMasters front and rear and I know their expensive, BUT OH MY GOD, they make my 35's ride like a dream. They control the 40's well, but their unbelievable with the 35's. I also put one on my front driveshaft, even though I probably didn't need it.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:20 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just checkin out balancemasters, the look similar to the centramatics.

Is there a differance?