3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help With Engine Noise !

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:45 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by t-boe
It has nothing to do with the ecm. It has to do with the injector itself. Don M explained it awhile back. I just can't remember the specifics.
Boy, if you could find that post, I would love to read it. I am just having a hard time putting it all together in my head! I'm not saying it isn't possible, but HOW?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vzdude
Boy, if you could find that post, I would love to read it. I am just having a hard time putting it all together in my head! I'm not saying it isn't possible, but HOW?
I'M W/YOU VZDUDE! I DO REMEMBER THAT POST AND DON DID A GOOD JOB EXPLAINING IT, BUT IT STILL DOES'NT SEEM POSSIBLE.I'M OPEN TO IT THOUGH.I BELIEVE THAT "RATTLE" PEOPLE HEAR IS NOT TIMING RATTLE, IT'S ADDITIONAL FUEL "KNOCKING" THAT IS GOING ON.MY INJECTORS DON'T HAVE A CLUE THAT THE NOZZLES HAVE CHANGED AND ALSO MY BODIES HAVE REMAINED THE SAME,SO HOW DID THE INJECTORS INJECT ANY EARLIER? IF ANYTHING ,SINCE I GOT MORE FUEL , THE ECM SHOULD RETARD JUST A TAD BECAUSE I DON'T NEED AS MUCH POWER TO DO THE SAME AMOUNT OF WORK. ANYWAYS , WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION AT HAND? WHAT IS GOING ON W/ MY TRUCK?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:15 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

What I found from DonM

"All flux injectors reduce ignition time by at least 2 degrees VS a stock injector.

The liquid phase ( time the fuel has not vaporized ) VS a stock nozzle is longer.

This is LESS timing than an engine would have with the same mods."
Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

So.....basically the timing of the injectors hasn't changed, more like a result of larger injectors.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:22 AM

I would like to find a solution for both of us because i hate to remove these that i just put in my trk but I think we are gonna pull mine back out tomorrow. I dont want to becuase they were put in for a reason. they really do help out but I dont want to risk trashing my engine at the moment.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwb600
I would like to find a solution for both of us because i hate to remove these that i just put in my trk but I think we are gonna pull mine back out tomorrow. I dont want to becuase they were put in for a reason. they really do help out but I dont want to risk trashing my engine at the moment.
NO DOUBT ABOUT TRASHING YOUR ENGINE!!

I'M STILL WAITING ON A RESPONSE FROM MY VENDOR

I'LL BE PATIENT AND KEEP MY COOL

FROM DTR MEMBERS THERE ARE 2 STORYS
1)IT'S FINE,RUN IT
2)SEND EM' BACK

I'LL WAIT MY TIME...IT'S GOING ON 4 WEEKS
Old 10-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

I believe I've found what, where and why. It's a lot of technical reading but very worth the time.

It does have to do with the ECM because the ECM senses the need for additional timing do to the increased amount of fuel. There's a lot more to it than just that but, as I said.... with all the questions I've asked about this issue, this thread explains it the best.

you may need an account to read the whole thread..... timing-cylinder-pressures

it's all in the tuning
Old 10-01-2007, 05:10 PM

ya but how does a normal guy back the timing off? im in the same boat as you triton I cant run the tst R49 and the smarty program without timing the issues are still there. the program is off my truck the rattle is still there. I am not trying to take away from #2 onlys thread. Im gonna try to pull these back out hopefully tonight. probably one more of the many reasons I should have kept my 05 if I could pull it off I would trade this truck for another 05 auto in a heartbeat but the dealer would rape me im sure
Old 10-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tritont
I believe I've found what, where and why. It's a lot of technical reading but very worth the time.

It does have to do with the ECM because the ECM senses the need for additional timing do to the increased amount of fuel. There's a lot more to it than just that but, as I said.... with all the questions I've asked about this issue, this thread explains it the best.

you may need an account to read the whole thread..... timing-cylinder-pressures

it's all in the tuning
I CAN'T READ THE THREAD,BUT I'LL TAKE YOUR WORD.WHETHER IT'S TRUE OR NOT THERE MUST BE A FIX FOR THIS,OTHER THAN YANKING MY INJECTORS.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwb600
ya but how does a normal guy back the timing off? im in the same boat as you triton I cant run the tst R49 and the smarty program without timing the issues are still there. the program is off my truck the rattle is still there. I am not trying to take away from #2 onlys thread. Im gonna try to pull these back out hopefully tonight. probably one more of the many reasons I should have kept my 05 if I could pull it off I would trade this truck for another 05 auto in a heartbeat but the dealer would rape me im sure
not to be discouraged dude. It's all a matter of tweaking. Different injectors may help but, you could be in the same boat again too.

What we need is a custom tune or adjustable box like the TST. Have you tried going through all the timing setting on the TST ? I would think you'd be able to retard it. I got rid of my TST since it doesn't work well with the 07's. Man did I hate haven't to do that.

I'm installing a new turbo Weds. I'm hoping it my help in one way or another. My rattle isn't so bad I don't want to drive the truck. It's just annoying :-)
Old 10-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by #2 only
I CAN'T READ THE THREAD,BUT I'LL TAKE YOUR WORD.WHETHER IT'S TRUE OR NOT THERE MUST BE A FIX FOR THIS,OTHER THAN YANKING MY INJECTORS.
Yeah there is... electronics. One thing I never mentioned to you cause I wasn't sure it was a problem with a single pump. What kind of feed pressure are you running ? You might try backing it down some to 15 to 18psi. That may help if you're running higher than that. Not a guaranteed fix but, worth a try.

Other than that... if you can talk to some of the performance box makers, maybe they can direct you to a adjustable box.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

My Truck Is Stock.how Much Lower Can I Go?
Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 PM

#2 only if u have a adjustible box like the tst u can retard beyond stock. and nice answering machine!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:16 PM

ty mine was just the R37. sad to say but I sold it also
I cant risk that either right now. im gonna wait until they have better things to say before I put it back on. my engine was made in 06/3/06. we have the valve cover off right now
Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 PM

I added Don M Flux 1's to my 07 and saw no difference in noise... Im happy!! must only be a problem with big sticks.

I am also thoroughly frustrated with the lack of custom programming for the 06.5-07's!!! Im running stock now with the mp8 because the smarty smoked way to much towing. Waiting for the C5 to get worked out.

Quick Reply: Help With Engine Noise !