3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Hello! Newbie here with a LOT of 3500 Megacab Questions!!

Old 05-06-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello! Newbie here with a LOT of 3500 Megacab Questions!!

First and foremost, Hello DTR!!!

I just today bought my 3rd Dodge 3500 (a 2006 Laramie Megacab 4x4 6spd fully loaded) and have done so to tow my Lamborghini's to track events, car shows, as well as take my Great Dane (properly named 'Diesel') around. I have always just left my prior trucks (an '02 and an '04) bone stock; however, since I love to modify my cars so much, I see no reason why I should leave my Dodge out of the fun! I also know that when it comes to heavy towing, modifications can be a MONUMENTAL improvement. My questions had to do with the following.

Does anyone have any experience with running the larger semi (22.5") wheels and tires and if so, will I need to do any lifting? (I would like to do the biggest wheel and tire combo WITHOUT lifting)

Is doing something like the Banks "Big Hoss Bundle" the best and easiest way to upgrade my truck?

Will I need a new clutch? (I am towing a 44' Gooseneck that, with cars, will probably weigh in around 16-18K (guessing, haven't had it at the scales yet))

Does Banks sell the best exhaust brake?

Does Transfer Flow sell the best 'in-bed' fuel tank?

What are some other improvements I can make to increase HP and TQ whilst still retaining the everyday drivability as well as the ability to use it in very heavy-duty applications?

Thank you guys so much in advance for any and all help and advice. I hope that as I start to modify, and change parts on my vehicle, I can be as useful a resource as you all will be to me! Sorry for the long first post but I have so much to learn and so little time!!!
Old 05-06-2006, 10:33 PM

Also, if I decide to run a regular 17" wheel, will a 37 x 13.50 Toyo M/T work without a lift?

Do any companies make aftermarket dually wheels ?

Thanks for helping this newbie out!!
Old 05-06-2006, 11:40 PM

welcome to DTR...there is a lot you can do to the truck and keep daily driving it without a problem. Twins with upgraded tranny and pressure/timing box, injectors, pusher pump, moded CP3 and a few other goodies can put you well over 600 RWHP and still drive perfectly. It will help your towning with keeping everything cool with the twins and have a lot of power..like running 12s in the 1/4 . As for running the 37x13.5s with out a lift is not possible...a skinnier 37 would work stock or with a leveling kit...hope some of this helps. With about $10K you can have a fast truck pulling an awesome car...ohh yea...post pics of the lambo..Jason
Old 05-07-2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
First and foremost, Hello DTR!!!

I just today bought my 3rd Dodge 3500 (a 2006 Laramie Megacab 4x4 6spd fully loaded) and have done so to tow my Lamborghini's to track events, car shows, as well as take my Great Dane (properly named 'Diesel') around. I have always just left my prior trucks (an '02 and an '04) bone stock; however, since I love to modify my cars so much, I see no reason why I should leave my Dodge out of the fun! I also know that when it comes to heavy towing, modifications can be a MONUMENTAL improvement. My questions had to do with the following.

Does anyone have any experience with running the larger semi (22.5") wheels and tires and if so, will I need to do any lifting? (I would like to do the biggest wheel and tire combo WITHOUT lifting)

Is doing something like the Banks "Big Hoss Bundle" the best and easiest way to upgrade my truck?

Will I need a new clutch? (I am towing a 44' Gooseneck that, with cars, will probably weigh in around 16-18K (guessing, haven't had it at the scales yet))

Does Transfer Flow sell the best 'in-bed' fuel tank?

What are some other improvements I can make to increase HP and TQ whilst still retaining the everyday drivability as well as the ability to use it in very heavy-duty applications?

Thank you guys so much in advance for any and all help and advice. I hope that as I start to modify, and change parts on my vehicle, I can be as useful a resource as you all will be to me! Sorry for the long first post but I have so much to learn and so little time!!!

22.5's are not possible without a lift and neither are 37's. 35's barely fit.

Transfer flow is a great tank because it comes with a pump and it fills into the stock tank, you dont have to get out.

Easiest way to increase hp and torque is a box like Edge Juice or Bullydog Triple dog. I have my juice on order, it just came out. It also displays about all the stuff gauges you will need. Runnin on the level 5 you will need a clutch. |Check out Southbend clutches. DONT GO BANKS, THEY SUCK!!! You dont need exhaust, you already have a 4" turboback exhaust. I would get some injectors if you really want to spend some $$

If you want a shop to talk to, check out Texas Trucks Unlimited. THe owner is nuts, his truck before last he did is a 06 dually on 24" wheels, tripledog stacked with edge ez, suspension...the works. They do some great work and can get you all the wheels and tires you want and make them fit.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:44 AM

Thanks guys. For 37" tires, will a 2" leveling kit work because I assume that the rear is not a problem as far as rubbing, but only the front. I just hate how the stock wheels and tires look completely overpowered by the wheel-well.

I would love to get to 600 RWHP, that's actually the power I am in the process of getting out of my Murciélago. I assume that Texas Trucks is in Texas ofcourse, and given that I am in Columbus, OH. right now, would I have to ship my truck to them? Or can they manufacture everything and ship it so I can have it installed?

Lastly, how do I post pictures ? I have been on many forums but none with this type of interface. What are, if any, the file size and picel limitations of posted pictures ?
Old 05-07-2006, 02:28 AM

Does anyone have any experience with running the larger semi (22.5") wheels and tires
If you do want to go with commercial wheels and tires for the increased load rating you could try 19.5". A company called Rickson has several different types of 19.5" wheels and stock several different brands of tires. They are pricey though.
For an exhaust brake I'd suggest the Jacob's (the only factory approved exhaust brake) or Pacbrake. Both companies make exhaust and engine brakes for commercial trucks and make great products.

Check out links here on the site as well as searching the web. There is much more out there than Banks. Banks probably just advertises the most.

To put pictures in your gallery, go into it and upload the pics from your computer. Love to see some pics of the Lambo!
Old 05-07-2006, 02:46 AM

I am glad to know that such knowledgable people are on this board. I know very little when it comes to modifying a diesel engine. I will definitely be doing a lot of research!

The only reason I would not do the 19.5" or 22.5" wheel and tire is for winter use. Am I correct in assuming that a tire like the Toyo M/T would perform much better than any commercial tire that would actually FIT my truck?

Also, I posted all the pics of my truck and of my Lambo in my gallery, they are just pending approval. I won't be able to post them in a thread until they are approved however.

What is the best way to acheive over 600RWHP with my truck? By best I mean the way that replaces all of the weak links in the truck so that I basically have a hauler that will be "bulletproof" as long as it is maintained well and one that can be maintained by the dealer. (I am not too worried about warranty because I have a very good relationship with the delaership since they service my Lambos as well.)

I just do not know enough about these vehicles to compile a "dream list" if you will like I can with most cars. Basically, I need a play by play of what to do. I think I am pretty much sold on the Super Glide hitch since the Megacab is a short bed, and I would like to do a 37" tire with a 2" leveling kit (assuming that is possible with a little finder trimming ) but that is where I am stuck. I do not even know of a good 17" wheel that fits duallies or, should I go to a 19.5 or 22.5 setup, what a good commercial tire would be that would be great in the snow.

Thanks for all of the help guys!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:55 AM

the biggest tire you could get on a levelin kit will probally be a 35" tire or a 315/70r17 which is aprocimatly the same as a 35.. a 37 will rub more than ever unless you wanted to trim into the cab... to run a 37 you will need a 5-6" lift i like the kore lifts.. check them out they are sweet...
Old 05-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Banned

looks a bit too like a car I have seen, you get that stereo work done in Long Island? Unique Autosports hook you up with that system?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you truck is a dually there is a limit on how wide a tire can be used on the rear without rubbing each other. I believe you can run a 285/70/17 but a spacer will be needed between the rims. 265/70/17 should fit without a spacer.

MikeyB
Old 05-07-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Thanks guys. For 37" tires, will a 2" leveling kit work because I assume that the rear is not a problem as far as rubbing, but only the front. I just hate how the stock wheels and tires look completely overpowered by the wheel-well.

I would love to get to 600 RWHP, that's actually the power I am in the process of getting out of my Murciélago. I assume that Texas Trucks is in Texas ofcourse, and given that I am in Columbus, OH. right now, would I have to ship my truck to them? Or can they manufacture everything and ship it so I can have it installed?

Lastly, how do I post pictures ? I have been on many forums but none with this type of interface. What are, if any, the file size and picel limitations of posted pictures ?
Just call Texas Trucks Unlimited...just talk to them about the wheel thing, they will help you out.... you can get it done somewhere else but they know their stuff.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Banned

i have 37 in cooper discovery stt2's on h2 wheels with level kit no rubs i think every truck is different so i wouldn't take a word for it i need to update my pics
Old 05-07-2006, 11:23 AM

Nice truck, even nicer car!!! I also started where you are at, totally ignorant in regards to a diesel I went with a Quadzilla parts box (100hp), Quad intake, and a MBRP replacement muffler. The guys here all raved about Quadzilla's customer service and the owner reads all the boards. Good luck.
Try posting with QUadzilla Help!!!! The owner will read and help ya out.

I am military and moving to Philly area next year, maybe we will meet sometime since u are in that area.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mikmaze
looks a bit too like a car I have seen, you get that stereo work done in Long Island? Unique Autosports hook you up with that system?

Unique is correct. They did my fiancé's M3, my H2 and my Lambo on the episode "Duelling Lambos".
Old 05-07-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by alwaysfaded
i have 37 in cooper discovery stt2's on h2 wheels with level kit no rubs i think every truck is different so i wouldn't take a word for it i need to update my pics
I would definitely like to see pics of that. What's the width of your tires? Are spacers heavy-duty enough for heavy towing? How much of one did you use?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hello! Newbie here with a LOT of 3500 Megacab Questions!!