3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got a Smarty

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a Smarty

I bought a used Smarty today and got a heck of a deal. I wanted to put gauges on it first, but this deal was too good to pass up. A Smarty Jr would be more up my alley, but I got it cheaper than what a new jr costs. I played with it all day and have tried all the odd levels excluding 9. I'm not man enough to try that one without upgraded parts. I never have given it full throttle yet (not without gauges first), but I really like the power it has. It drives like a stock truck putting around in it, but the power is there if you want it. Right now, I'm on level three with default settings except 2 for timing (most) and one for TM (stock) and the POD on 80. I figured this one would be a good start for getting the best mileage since it has the least aggressive TM and most timing (I already updated to the latest version). Any ideas or suggestions to try? I tried level 5 all on default, but it was a little hazy when shifting gears.

I do have a few more questions. One, if I read the sheet right, with the revo any changes you make to the default setting applies to all the levels? As in level 2, 4, 6, and 8 will have timing now. Next, the Smarty says it reads DTC on different trucks; does this mean all Dodge trucks or just trucks from 03-07? Lastly, my truck came with 245's but has 265/70/17's on it now. I looked up a chart and said the tires were 31.61" tall. So, in the tire size adjuster I entered 31.60. Does this sound right or did I put the wrong number in? Thanks for any answers and/or tips. Have a nice day.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:13 PM

I switched it to lvl 1 now with everything on default except for the TQM and TM on 3. I figure 30 hp shouldn't hurt EGTs with the timing increase. I think TM 3 is actually the same as the default timing. I won't be able to really tune for MPG since I haul frequently. It would take me a years to try all the different variations to dial it in, that's why I need suggestions or tips to speed up the process. Before the Smarty I was seeing 22 unloaded, which is rare to be unloaded for an entire tank full, 16-17 mixed, and 13-14 loaded. Not a bad starting point, but with diesel fuel over $4/gal, anything helps. The mileage is certainly better than the '97 which is usually around 16 unloaded.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 PM

No help at all?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the Jr. so a complete different set up but I get my best mileage on SW3 with the most advanced timing. and torque on default. It does haze while shifting gears but that is normal. As long as you are not hazing while cruising.

I think you can run level 5 even while towing and be good as far as EGT's go and power.

I'm sure someone will chime in with better info.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM

For the vast majority, I have kept the Smarty on lvl 1 or 3 with timing on 2. My mileage went up over 1 mpg. I don't know if it is from the tire height adjustment or from the Smarty. I think a little bit of both. I was surprised because I drove the truck harder than what I usually do.

I hauled some cattle yesterday with the Smarty on lvl 3. I was only pulling about 11,000 lbs but I can tell a difference when shifting from 3rd to 4th. I have to pull out and go up a steep hill before I get to the stockyards. Before I would have to hold 3rd or 4th would fall on it's face. Now before I reach the top of the hill, I can hit 55 MPH without giving it full throttle. I wasn't loaded as heavy as I usually am, but nevertheless I could tell a difference. Whenever I haul heavy next time, I'll switch to lvl 1 until the gauges are in. I should be fine with lvl 3, but I don't want to take a chance. Arriving to the yards a few minutes later is fine with me as long as the truck is in one piece.

The gauges I am going to put in are Autometer Phantom boost and pyro (just like my 97) on a dual steering column pod. I want to keep my A-pillar. I am going to add a rail pressure gauge in the future and maybe a BD low pressure warning light. I'll probably just use an universal mount for the rail pressure somewhere below the steering wheel. Eventually, I will add a pusher pump but I'll just have to wait until I have the funds to do all the proper upgrades so I can run all the settings. Until then, I am satisfied with the lower settings and should be fine on a stock truck.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would keep it to SW1 TM3 TQ1 until you get gauges.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:03 PM

I've had my Smarty for a couple of weeks now and have seen 1-2 mpg increase. The other day, I hauled cattle on the first half of the tank (about 100 miles) and drove around Southern Indiana on nice flat straight roads going about 55-60 mph unloaded. On the second half of the tank I got over 350 miles with about 1/8 left. Ended up with 17.5 mpg average. Very impressed. Towing I was on level 1 and just driving was level 3, TM4, RP0, TQ1.

I have one more question. I have read on this site that a Smarty on an SO will bring it up to HO levels. What does this mean exactly? Does this mean that with the Smarty on an SO that you will gain more than 60 hp on level 3 for example? Or did I misread a post that a JR will make an SO into a HO, programming wise? Are the HP gains on the back of a Smarty for an SO, HO, or same across the board?

Thanks