3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

got my ladder bars installed.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The difference is the GDP bars allow your suspension to do its own thing without getting in a bind. Plus trucks with bars like those ride like I've rode in many vehichles like that. If your truck pulls a sled and you don't want to have the suspension compress they work great.

Each person likes different things. I like the looks of the GDP bars, they do what I want them to, they are light weight, I can't even tell they are on the truck until I get on the go pedal, and the customer service is second to none and GDP supports all of the diesel forums.

Lucas
Old 02-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
What can you tell us about those ones?
They seem like they'd do the same thing for way less money?
(I'd be more interested in functionality rather than how cool they look)
A single bar design like that will not eliminate axle wrap/wheel hop. It will prevent it a little, but cannot physically stop it. The only way to truly eliminate axle wrap is with the two bar design. You need that triangle shape for it to work properly.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:59 PM

Or even beter yet would be a straight up four link. Not very good for haulin or towin but i have yet to ever feel one wheel hop.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned

Hay Triton, I just noticed your truck in DieselPower on the topGunz Kustom lift page!!

Love the truck..

Shane
Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Luken
The difference is the GDP bars allow your suspension to do its own thing without getting in a bind. Plus trucks with bars like those ride like I've rode in many vehichles like that. If your truck pulls a sled and you don't want to have the suspension compress they work great.

Each person likes different things. I like the looks of the GDP bars, they do what I want them to, they are light weight, I can't even tell they are on the truck until I get on the go pedal, and the customer service is second to none and GDP supports all of the diesel forums.

Lucas
Originally Posted by jrussell
A single bar design like that will not eliminate axle wrap/wheel hop. It will prevent it a little, but cannot physically stop it. The only way to truly eliminate axle wrap is with the two bar design. You need that triangle shape for it to work properly.

Thanks guys for the info.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:35 PM

I have a set of "single bar" traction bars...

No twist at all...or bind. They just have to be designed correctly. I will post pictures soon when everything is back from the powder coaters. I won't even run the fat factory overload/bottom leaf soon...and rely on my airbags for the difference.

5' bars, (2) 24 degree hiem joints, and the correct "angle" and mounting location...bingo. Great ride, flex, and NO HOP!

I wanted to do a "shackle" set like the GDP's...but I did not like the loss of ground clearance.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
My single bar completely stopped the axle wrap problem I was having with my 40's. And the ride is just as smooth with them on and with the swivel links, it still flexes very well. They're the superlift bars.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:45 PM

You are creating a "triangle" with the front half of the leaf spring pack. I verified the bind comment with a forklift...before and after flex measurements and a visual on the actual twist of the hiem.

I still would have prefered bushings and the lever arm w/ shackle style like GDP. I am not bagging on that. I just need the maximum ground clearance...and found another way with a "compression strut" style.

If you have super flexy leafs (more like a jeep instead of our trucks) the single strut may not work...because you may still be able to cause bending in the front half of the spring pack. I have yet to be able to do so on a pickup.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:06 PM

The GDP bars are nice but eat up way too much ground clearance for me. A well designed and executed single bar setup will work well enough (maybe not as well as a triangulated setup) and not eat up so much ground clearance. For someone like me who sees plenty of offroad use ground clearance is every bit as important as eliminating axle wrap.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
You are creating a "triangle" with the front half of the leaf spring pack.
Correct, but 1/3 of the triangle is not rigid when it's done that way (you're using the spring itself). It may prevent axle wrap to the point where you don't notice it, but the axle can and will wrap to some degree still. Put enough weight over the rear and apply enough torque and it will eventually begin to wrap.

I'm not saying the singles don't help or work, just that the two bars are better by design and therefore more effective. How much? That is debatable, of course.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:25 PM

I agree...and was just noting that the extreme situation that may cause the front half of my spring pack to buckle is not obtainible at 1200 ft-lbs. IN theory, the lever arm style works better.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
Hay Triton, I just noticed your truck in DieselPower on the topGunz Kustom lift page!!

Love the truck..

Shane
How 'bout that. I saw it myself the other day. Had no idea they used my truck for their ad campaign. Check out the do up on their web site .....

Top Gun Customz

I appreciate them using my truck and all but, I didn't buy a thing from them. They installed my lift which I supplied.

I gotta say though.... their shop it well equipped, they have a fab shop where they make their own suspension products which is pretty sweet and the people were all cool. The owner has been design suspensions for Rams for quite a while.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

The GDP bars probably take up about 2"s of ground clearance more than a single bar. The connection at the rear axle doesn't come any farther down than the bottom of the pumpkin

If I'm correct in assuming the single bars are even with the center of the rear axle, the GDP bottom bar is only a couple inches below that. The angles of a single or double bar are just about the same from what I can tell looking at the pictures.

Any bar ( single or double ) could be a problem when offroading or rock crawling.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
I agree...and was just noting that the extreme situation that may cause the front half of my spring pack to buckle is not obtainible at 1200 ft-lbs. IN theory, the lever arm style works better.
what bars did you go with?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 PM

From what I have read and heard I thought the traction/ladder bars should be mounted at the top mount of the shackle and the frame should be reserved for the solid point (bottom) of the shackle.

I'm sure the GDP bars work well just looking for some info.

Quick Reply: got my ladder bars installed.....