3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Give me some feedback.......thanks

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Give me some feedback.......thanks

Hello Fellas,
I have a 07 QC Dodge cummins, all stock, I am thinking about doing a couple of things to it for fun and wanted some of your opinions.
I don't get to spend much time to scout the forums and play with the truck so excuse my ignorance.

First is, what size exhaust does the truck have 4' or 5 " ? I am thinking of pulling the muffler off and straight pipe it, just to get some
fun sound from it.

Second, I see this boost fooler thing by quadzilla I believe, it looks like a mod I can do quickly, easily, and it is fairly cheap. I don't tow
anything significant. Will thier be any great advantage to getting one of these, I assume a little HP, how about MPG though?

Lastly, the intake, I am about due to replace the filter, and I am thinking about taking those few extra bucks for the filter and apply
towards a different intake unit. I think that might give me a couple ponies and MPG, (maybe a nicer sounds too) . Two questions,
I am not looking to break the bank, I am looking for something not too expensive, and easy to drop in. Also, I live in the north east,
and occasionally I go to upstate NY snowmobiling, it could get to well below 0, will I have any problem, with another cold air intake. ?
Thanks
Jukenut.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 AM

Read on! Be careful you're about to get into a modification spree that can be endless. One mod leads to another.

You've got 4" exhaust and realy unless you add a lot of goodies no need to go further. Straight can be pretty loud even the MBRP is somewhat loud.

Derek <*)))><
Old 12-31-2008, 11:38 AM

First off, welcome to DTR and welcome to the Cummins family. You will find an abundance of information on this site as well as very knowledgeable people who are always willing to help you out.

To answer your questions:

1. You have 4" exhaust from the factory on your truck. Taking off them muffler will give your truck some sound without it being overkill. You can take the cat off as well, but in my opinion it sounds like a small airplane without it.

2. I ran the boost fooler on my truck before switching to the Smarty programmer earlier this year. I didn't see any MPG gains but I did get a little more out of my stock turbo. I don't know that you would see any gains from the boost fooler on a stock truck.

3. Intakes - the S&B and AFE Stage II Intakes are good pieces. The AFE is also a good piece that takes minutes to install, I am sure the S&B is the same. I have run my AFE since the truck was new with 0 problems.

Before you buy any parts, contact Lary at the DTR store (username Lary Ellis (Top) )to get hooked up with the best prices on accessories.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome to the DTR! Do you have the 07, or 07.5? If you have the 6.7l, you are going to have to go through a lot to straight pipe it.

I did a DIY CAI, I cut a 4 inch hole in the bottom of my stock box, and put a piece of 4" PCV elbow in there to give me more air flow. Pics in my gallery. I then dropped an Air Raid replacement filter in there, the whole deal probably cost me 70 bucks. That's just if you want to go cheep.

The boost fooler does not really do anything until you throw a programmer on there that makes more boost than the stock limits allow, it will keep you from throwing an overboost code, It will let the turbo push a little more air, but not too much.

I would reccomend a small programmer, like the edge ez or smarty jr if all you want is a little gain... (there are lots more out there) Make sure that you are running gauges before you start dumping power to it so you don't tear your truck up.

As stated before, find what you like, and go through the DTR store, Lary can get you a good deal.

Fill your sig in too, so we know what you have, instructions here.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
D45

Fill out your sig line so we know more about your truck.....
Old 12-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by D45
Fill out your sig line so we know more about your truck.....
Originally Posted by madhat
Fill your sig in too, so we know what you have, instructions here.
Beat ya to it!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:59 AM

Welcome to your new addiction!!!!!

Last edited by Riflemanusmc; 12-31-2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-2008, 12:14 PM

Welcome to the DTR! Be careful. I bought my truck and said I would not do anything to it, leave it stock, there is no reason to mod up a diesel. Well, just look at my signature now. This is all thanks to the DTR. Thanks for spending my money guys! Use the search, it works great.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:10 PM

IMO - replace muffler only (or straight pipe), drop in replacement air filter with either DIY Mod or search internet for PSM Buick (it's a kit that does the same thing)....would also recommend a small safe programmer that does boost fooloing...my personal pref would be smarty jr (use level 1 or 2).....these or something similiar will make it a whole other driving experience with better throttle response, more power, lower egt's....all around great daily driver that wont impact reliability....guages are highly recommended (EGT and Boost)...but i dont believe their needed if you keep the programmers on the lower levels.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:45 PM

I am assuming this is the truck he has...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=152191

If that's the case...Smarty, Jr. or Sr. (DTR Store)

Muffler delete (DTR Store)

DIY intake (Do a "search")

Don't worry about the snow...
Old 12-31-2008, 02:56 PM

i would go with a air filter of your choice,
muffler delete,(if too loud any cheep free flow muffler will work)
and a quadzilla mpg module(around 200.00$).
with these mods u should c about +50hp and increase in mpg 1.5-2.5.
if u are not planning on any high hp mods, a filter in the stock box will improve low end and mpg, without the expence of a whole filter and tube and box kit. except for muffler, u couild do these mods yourself.
any air filter should not change cold startup.