3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Geno's Billet Fuel Filter Lid

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Geno's Billet Fuel Filter Lid

I'm about to install my GFS-392 Competition Kit from GDP and I am thinking about getting the billet lid from Geno's so I can tune the bypass valve and run the higher pressures with the Walbro pump. Will it hurt my stock CP3 at all running in the 30+ PSI range? I wasn't sure if the stock CP3 could handle that much pressure.

On the billet lid, I see that it has a 1/8" NPT Sender Port already on the top of the lid so I was thinking about using it for my sender tap (I understand this is reading pre-filter pressures, but I don't think it will matter because the Walbro pump supplies lots of fuel pressure and I change my filters at a certain mileage; not when the pressure drops). The gauge I have is an electronic gauge so the sending unit will require a grounded connection if I'm not mistaken. Will this create a problem?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:49 AM

I'm just checking in 'cause I just ordered the cap yesterday and have an electronic sensor myself.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:58 AM

I have one and it has worked fine for a couple years now...
Old 07-17-2007, 11:08 AM

My electronic pressure sender was plumbed into the top of the lid and worked fine. The only problem recently is the new 7 micron Fleetguards need to be modded a little in order toget fuel in the top of the lid. You just need to notch the plastic lip on the filter so fuel can get up around it. You'll see what I'm talking about once you get both pieces in hand. As far as 30 PSI to a stock CP3 goes, lots of people are doing it and don't seem to have a problem but I can't say for sure because my FASS is about 19 PSI.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I should be good to go.

I think I have read about the 7 micron filters needing to be modified for these lids. I'm glad you brought that back up; I completely forgot. I'm sure it'll be pretty obvious when I get everything in front of me.....
Old 07-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06CTDforAU
Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I should be good to go.

I think I have read about the 7 micron filters needing to be modified for these lids. I'm glad you brought that back up; I completely forgot. I'm sure it'll be pretty obvious when I get everything in front of me.....
Why does only the 7 micron need to be modded? I thought the 7 and 10 looked exactly the same and both snapped onto the lid?

That brings me to the question, how accurate is that port on the lid if fuel isn't really intended to be there?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Why does only the 7 micron need to be modded? I thought the 7 and 10 looked exactly the same and both snapped onto the lid?

That brings me to the question, how accurate is that port on the lid if fuel isn't really intended to be there?
The Fleetguard filters used to be regular and Stratopore. Once Bosch/Cummins decided to mandate a smaller micron filter they switched to the new style that has a flat and slghtly larger round flange at the top. It is no longer marked as Stratopore or anything else. The old filters never "snapped" into the lid and the new doesn't either. It does however fit flush now and doesn't allow fuel to go up past it like the other filters did. All you have to do is notch or cut a little v in the flange so fuel can go past it and fill the top of the canister around the lid. It does not compromise the filters ability to filter fuel. The billett lid is just an aftermarket part that was made for dress up and an easy way to get your fuel pressure sender mounted along with a little better holding power on higher fuel pressure than the stock plastic lid. As far as "accuracy" goes, it doesn't matter. If there is fuel present anywhere in the fuel system you will get a pressure reading that will be consistent with the rest of the system unless you are measuring post filter pressure with a plugged filter or some other weird problem.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 PM

Just got an email from Geno's saying the billet lids are on backorder for the next 7-10 business days.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by staarma
The Fleetguard filters used to be regular and Stratopore. Once Bosch/Cummins decided to mandate a smaller micron filter they switched to the new style that has a flat and slghtly larger round flange at the top. It is no longer marked as Stratopore or anything else. The old filters never "snapped" into the lid and the new doesn't either. It does however fit flush now and doesn't allow fuel to go up past it like the other filters did. All you have to do is notch or cut a little v in the flange so fuel can go past it and fill the top of the canister around the lid. It does not compromise the filters ability to filter fuel. The billett lid is just an aftermarket part that was made for dress up and an easy way to get your fuel pressure sender mounted along with a little better holding power on higher fuel pressure than the stock plastic lid. As far as "accuracy" goes, it doesn't matter. If there is fuel present anywhere in the fuel system you will get a pressure reading that will be consistent with the rest of the system unless you are measuring post filter pressure with a plugged filter or some other weird problem.
Mine have always snapped into and out of the stock filter lid. The 7 micron seemed to go in just like the 10.

I haven't installed the billet lid I have laying around so not sure if it's different.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 PM

Anyone have a link for the billet filter lid at Genos? Cant seem to find it on the site. Thanks.

Edit- Never mind, I got it.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Banned

I have a billet fuel filter housing lid and use a seperate sending unit. I run 42psi to the CP3 at idle
Old 07-17-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Mine have always snapped into and out of the stock filter lid. The 7 micron seemed to go in just like the 10.

I haven't installed the billet lid I have laying around so not sure if it's different.
They all snap in and out of the stock lid. I was talking about the billett lid. No filter has ever "snapped" in or out of that lid ever.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LT_FFCPP
Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Banned

They all snap in and out of the stock lid. I was talking about the billett lid. No filter has ever "snapped" in or out of that lid ever.

I see. Didn't realize it was any different from the stocker in that regard.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:49 PM

Hmm, so how is the filter placed in the housing properly? Or does it matter?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:57 PM

The rubber seal on the bottom of the filter press fits over the supply to the CP3 in the bottom of the housing. Once the fitler is pressed into the housing the lid just screws on but you do have to watch to make sure it centers in the lid while you screw it on. I've never had trouble but I always watch carefully.

Quick Reply: Geno's Billet Fuel Filter Lid