3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gauge thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge thoughts?

So I don't really like any of the mounts for gauges that are commercially available today. I'm more of a minimalist I guess. I won't go into my reasons, but I just don't like any of them. So here is what I'm thinking:

Why not get an SRT10 pillar mount, and stick a Isspro boost gauge in it. Then, stick a trans temp guage on an old school basic mount in the space b/t the pillar pod, and the door. Then stick the pyro in the same type of mount next to the other side of the pillar gauge. I could then plum the wiring into the pillar, through a clean rubber gromet. That way, they gauges would all be far enough away from your face, you don't loose the grab handle, they aren't too high and distracting, and they aren't way forward on the dash, etc. Any thoughts? Is there enough room between the srt10 mount and the door to fit another gauge?

I found out that you shouldn't take these trucks into the sand on a beach. I was leaning on it pretty good for a minute, and was freaked out not being able to see if I was cooking the turbo or the trans fluid. It took a long time to get out of that sand. The tires suck, and the rear axle was giving me really sever tire shake / wheel hop. It felt like the truck was going to rattle apart. So I guess the shocks totally suck too. Anyway, I decided I need gauges to monitor internal temps now.

Thanks.

BMH
Old 05-08-2006, 03:15 PM

How's this look to you?
[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 05-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by N.Johnson
How's this look to you?
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/data/500/28670Gauges-med.jpg[/img] [/IMG]
That's ok, but I use the heck out of that cubby hole.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:52 PM

Did you drop tire pressure when going out on to the sand....?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:06 PM

N. Johnson

Nice Set-up very professional looking.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:34 PM

The secret to driving in the sand is air pressure. Drop it. I was at Johnson Valley with my rock crawler and I broke it. Had to take the Dodge and trailer out to recover it. Going by the sand dunes I got stuck so I dropped the air pressure to 30 psi all the way around and pulled right out, no more spinning just smooth sailing. To me 30 psi is high because on the crawler I air down to 4 psi. Lot of people are thinking, that is fine and dandy but what do I do when I want to get back on the street. For me it is no problem, on the crawler, I converted the AC compressor to on-board air so I have an endless supply; I also carry a Power Tank to run the air tools on the trail, which also works for airing up tires. I carry the Power Tank when the wife and I go for adventures in the Dodge in case I get over my head and have to air the tires down. I would never take the tires on the Dodge below 10-15 psi.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:50 AM

I agree with airing down the tires. This is my first 3/4 ton diesel, so still learning. 2 weeks ago the family took the quads out to a local river bed for the afternoon, I didn't even think about airing down and got stuck. Had the tire shake and all. After I got pulled out, (by a hemi Ram) realized the tires are at 60 psi. Could have saved a lot of headache by airing down.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Banned

BMH95,

I think from your post that you will be a lot happier if you get the overhead mount that goes above the rear view mirror and next to the headliner. Looks stock and is very non flash etc. We are beginning to sell more and more of them as they get out in the market etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 05-09-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark, have you heard of any issues with the over the mirror mount falling or coming loose? I thought I've read a recent post were someone had the over the mirror mount adhesive coming loose in hot temps.

Just curious.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Grim Reaper
Mark, have you heard of any issues with the over the mirror mount falling or coming loose? I thought I've read a recent post were someone had the over the mirror mount adhesive coming loose in hot temps.

Just curious.

I asked this same question when I was still waiting for my truck to be delivered. I had a few guys say that on really hot days, the velcro will loosen from the glass. I also was told that you might have to trim the mount a little to make it look and fit 100%. I am 6ft tall, and like to sit hight in my seat also, and I put a template up where the winsheild pod would go, and it semed like I would have to slouch down a bit to see the gauges. I just went with the dash top mount, and Im already seeing problems. I have a bad glare problem during the day, very hard to read the gauges on a bright sunny day, even when the mount has a slight visor built into it.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:00 PM

Maybe the overhead is the way to go. I was just thinking that if I do that, then I could also put an SRT10 pillar / pod in, and put a gauge there. That way I could add a real oil pressure gauge as well. What would be the best 4th gauge? I was thinking Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, and either Oil Pressure or Oil Temp.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:01 PM

Maybe EGT in the pillar? or would boost be better there?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by BMH95
Maybe EGT in the pillar? or would boost be better there?
How about the Westach boost/EGT combo guage in the SRT A-pillar mount?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
I asked this same question when I was still waiting for my truck to be delivered. I had a few guys say that on really hot days, the velcro will loosen from the glass. I also was told that you might have to trim the mount a little to make it look and fit 100%. I am 6ft tall, and like to sit hight in my seat also, and I put a template up where the winsheild pod would go, and it semed like I would have to slouch down a bit to see the gauges. I just went with the dash top mount, and Im already seeing problems. I have a bad glare problem during the day, very hard to read the gauges on a bright sunny day, even when the mount has a slight visor built into it.
Thanks for that very informative post, you saved me a bunch of work and some of my sanity.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:26 PM

Glad I could help, The only thing I can say against myself is, I mounted my dash top mount in the center of my dash, not towards the drivers side where it tells you to mount it, It shows it going between the 2 defrost vents on the drivers side. The reason I mounted it in the center is because I have a little radar detector that needs to be centered in the vehicle, and it sits perfect on top of the gauge pod. Maybe If I mounted it where they say to put it, my body or seat would help with the sunlight from behind me, and help the glare problem. I was really looking into the overhead window pod, but when the warmer weather was here, I saw posts showing up about the velcro not holding, and also saw some people complaining about blistering on the pod too. This was last year, so maybe by now, they improved the window pod. Like everything, some people sware by it, and others had thier share of problems. I might change where I put my dash mount, but now I'll have to get a new factory dash top, being it will have 3 holes in it from where I mounted the pod!!

Quick Reply: Gauge thoughts?