3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

First Impressions of Quad's new box

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were able to get it to pop only with a huge load on a semi-regular basis. On the load cell dyno we can make some unusual fueling spikes that we cannot seem to duplicate on the road. This inlcudes the truck being loaded.

We definatley twisted on the pressure to see the carnage when we were testing on our vehicles. It is also noted that some truck will run more psi than others? Once you get above 4.5v it is really unreliable.

The major point to the story is that I don't believe it to be possible to run the truck with the valve being slightly opened at all. I think it either pops or you are fine.

Quad
Old 04-01-2005, 12:51 AM

Okay...I took the plunge and ordered the Race version. It finally arrived, and like others have posted, it took me all of 10 minutes to install (w/o switch mounting).

First off I was very surpized to see how small the module actually is...It's about the size of a credit card at about 1/2" thick...And weighs in at a (estimated) 2oz.

The connectors are all top quality and the switch **** is very nice as well. It will set off my Laramie "silver" very nicely.

Now on to the testing. I, like everyone else, started off on the 60hp setting. Nice solid smooth increase. Well this only lasted for two rows through the gears. Then off to 100hp land. Okay...Now I really feel it! Did a couple of dead-stop, ****'s to the wall pushes, didn't break the tires loose, but did dump a good puff of soot. Then off to 140hp land. Well now! Perfect power IMO. Talk about smooth. I've heard all the reviews about this quality w/in the box and they are 100% correct.

Well here it is....I honestly don't think I will be keeping the **** under 100hp, and will most likely keep it on the 140. Around town, traffic lights, stop and go, you name it the power transfer was just like stock...With the exception of my foot only droping about 1/4 of what it did while stock. I can see becoming VERY comfortable running at this setting all the time. It's all about how far the right foot goes down. No surge, no huge two-strok'ish power spike, just very manageable HP.

I never slipped the clutch on the 140 setting either...I even tried a couple of dead-stop, 1800rpm
mild "dumps" of the clutch. Still didn't slip (I've got 27K on the clock now). I'm not saying it won't, but I haven't done it yet. I'm also very careful to roll-on the power before hammering to the foor (above 1800-2000 rpm).

Never managed to get the tires to "fry" either...I was sort of expecting a major "smokey-burn" type launch, but it didn't happen. What did happen was a lengthy chirp starting out, then into 3nd, and then a small chirp when hammering 4th. The sucker revs up so fast there isn't much time to really get the tires rosting before the clutch has to be tossed in again.

O'yea, I got a healthy amount of smoke on the 140hp setting as well, but only from a dead stop. Roll-on/full blown power was pretty darn clean.

Now I should state that I live at 7200' elevation, and could be why the tires aren't burning off. My max boost was 25psi on the 140hp setting, EGT's got to 1300 at 95mph WOT before I shut her down...Of course I could get to 1250 stock. It appears that EGT's are VERY close to stock in all settings....Even the 140!!

Anyway, thanks to Quad and this board I'm a very satisfied CTD owner! Thanks to all that have gone before me. Well...at least I think it's a "thank-you". It might be a **** you! I can see know why 600+ hp is such a pull. I can't imagine what that must feel like....Arrrrrgggg!

--Doug
Old 04-01-2005, 01:30 AM

D@$m you guys! Stop posting to this thread already! My wifes gonna kill me if I spend another 5 bills on this truck
Old 04-01-2005, 01:48 AM

325/600

has anyone tried the race version on the 325/600 . if so how about some of your impressions like smoke hopw the power comes on and will it ROAST the tires.
d12
Old 04-01-2005, 07:43 AM

Re: 325/600

Originally posted by durango12
has anyone tried the race version on the 325/600 . if so how about some of your impressions like smoke hopw the power comes on and will it ROAST the tires.
d12
I put one on a guys 04.5 - And it was very nice (way better then the Dr.P chip we took off), The power came on very predictable. It was a 6-spd dually, so the tires didn't roast, BUT they did start to break loose when I hit 3rd

It was dark, so i do not know how good the smoke show was, BUT it had stacks, and I think that is one cool looking way to go!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:17 AM

relief valve

Thanks for clearing up my qusetions regarding the valve opening or not.

Brian
Old 04-01-2005, 10:24 AM

gatf4

Sorry to say it, but I got mine before the wife could cut me off. Whoops, did I say the too loud
Old 04-01-2005, 12:26 PM

I was putting off this purchase since I don't even have a better air intake yet (or gauges) but when I saw the April special price just listed on this site, I had to order.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by gatf4
D@$m you guys! Stop posting to this thread already! My wifes gonna kill me if I spend another 5 bills on this truck
Again, its better to go ahead and buy it and ask for forgiveness later, than to ask for permission now.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:39 PM

Quick update: I just took a Ford friend from work out in the Ram to show off the Xilla'. Well let's just say that I've gotten more *aggressive* with the clutch on the 140 setting, and yes indeed she now leaves a nice 3 strip scratch (one for 2nd, 3rd and 4th). My buddy was definitely impressed!

I did manage to trip the ABS light on the last show-off I did, but it's gone now...Reset after about 1/4 mile. Dunno' if I'm the first on that one or not.

EGT's of some WOT runs on the 140 (at 7400' elevation) did hit 1350 on one burst, uphill, to 95mph. She does feel like she want's more fuel once hitting the uper RPM's in 6th. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but I'm sure it would be 0 on those runs. Again, I'm just playing now...My *normal* driving should never yeild this type of...Er...Situation(s).

Did I just say that? O'well...Rationalization is the key right?

--D
Old 04-01-2005, 03:46 PM

The ABS light will illuminate if the rear tires are going a lot faster than the front tires for a certain amount of time.

Now we all know what you were doing!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:54 PM

Alright, just found out I'll be getting more back on my taxes than I thought.. What she don't know won't hurt her Race box on the way!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK guys, I have my new Quad Race for my 600. How did you get the connector into the cab. I read the instructions, but I cant get the grommet referred to out. It will have to be a very big slit to get the connector through. How did you do it????

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:17 PM

I routed mine through the rubber boot a few inches to the drivers side. Had to cut a slit in the boot, pushed in the connector, then realized that the boot was double walled! Made another cut then presto!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:33 PM

Okay...Mr. Quad?

Question for you: Now that I've had the Race box on for a grand total of 18 hours, when are you going to have a "Super-Race-Only" 200hp box to compete with Crazy Larry? (Specifically for us 305/555 guy's).

Yes, I've been bitten. Clutch will be forthcoming soon, and I think I can make my stocker turbo last for a while (provided your next iteration [PLEASE] comes in with as proportionately the same egt/hp gain numbers).

So when is it? Can't let the TST guy's keep talking smack!

--Doug

Quick Reply: First Impressions of Quad's new box