3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Finally, i did a boost controller write up

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can use this on any turbo that has a mechanical wastegate, and frankly all of our trucks have a mechanical wastegate till the the 6.7's with the variable vane stuff.

On an 04.5+ with an electric solenoid, you simply remove the silicone hose that goes from the solenoid bung and plumb in this system and then of course connect regulated end to the wastegate head.

Here is a pic of an 04.5+ turbo with electronic solenoid. As you can plainly see, there is still a mechanical wastegate and a silicone hose that you can plumb in the same way.
Attached Thumbnails Finally, i did a boost controller write up-.jpg  
Old 03-16-2008, 08:18 PM

And for those questioning how the solenoid works or wondering if it will interfere, the solenoid is simply and electronically controlled vent that allows incoming boosted air to vent when the solenoid is powered up. When the solenoid is not powered, most of the time, it is shut and allows all incoming boosted air to travel freely down the silicone hose to the wastegate head.

In even simpler terms, when the black D battery-like cylinder gets power, it opens a vent that steals pressurized air from the blue silicone hose. It takes about 22 psi in the hose for the wastegate head to start to move and about 26 psi for it to move enough to open the wastegate far enough to stop boost rise.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good call BB! but is it worth doing a controller on a stock electronically controlled turbo, i mean you can just get a boost fooler and hit 45 psi( at least i could)and more than that on a stock turbo might not be a good idea, and you are going to need a fooler either way on a stock turbo i believe. maybe with a programer that does fooling i guess it might work well.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 AM

If one had a faulty solenoid that didn't vent enough to keep the wastegate shut and let boost rise to desired levels, a controller would be ideal.

In my case, no ecm to control the "vent solenoid" I had to use a controller.

You might want to include a bit about a boost fooler for the map sensor on the engine block. Guys without boost fooling will override the stock wastgate and hold it closed by limiting the pressurized air travel to the wastegate head, but at the same time the ecm will see the high boost and cut back fuel.

So unless their is some form of boost fooling, the ecm will see too much and remedy the situation with less fuel.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice writeup, however I would have done one thing different. For the price of some additional feet of hose you could have ran it inside the cab and mounted it within arms reach. Now you can tweak it on the fly This is exactly how I adjust the external wastegate on my top turbo.

The only downside of this setup is that little kids like to push buttons and turn ***** in vehicles. The first time you drive it after kids have been in it, you may want to watch the gauge as you build boost the first time to ensure they haven't closed the regulator. Don't ask me how I know this
Old 03-17-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.9Excursion
Nice writeup, however I would have done one thing different. For the price of some additional feet of hose you could have ran it inside the cab and mounted it within arms reach. Now you can tweak it on the fly This is exactly how I adjust the external wastegate on my top turbo.

The only downside of this setup is that little kids like to push buttons and turn ***** in vehicles. The first time you drive it after kids have been in it, you may want to watch the gauge as you build boost the first time to ensure they haven't closed the regulator. Don't ask me how I know this

this is true, but how often do you re adjust your boost setting? if it warrants it, ok. but i never touch mine. set it and forget it for me.