3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

A few questions for those with 6"+ lifts

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mocho
Just curious did you get this fixed? Looking into a 6" kit, but don't want one if it's going to cause vibration issues.
So far it's not completely fixed but it is 95% better to say the least. I still have a slight vibration around 65 mph and those vibes may be the tires. I did get the "wandering" issue straightened out.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 AM

For you vibration definitely check the front u-joints. If you are not sure, remove you front driveshaft and go for a drive. That will tell you if this is your problem or not.

As far as the "loss of control" feeling. I really recommend getting another Track bar from Don and install it. Yours might be fine, but Don's adds a better feel, and has more solid bushings that don't allow that much deflection. If that still does not fix your problem I would add a steering stabilizer and if still not good then go the route of checking/changing ***** joints on your axle.

My bet is on the track bar. Also, for a very solid steering set-up Don has his HD steering kits. I have one on my truck and absolutely love it. When you compare the price of that to replacing tie rod ends it is a much better option.

Just my $.02
Old 09-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Banned

To tighten your steering up. Get a steering brace (DSS, PSC, etc.)

See what happens when going from a Carli/Thuren Suspension to an actual lift kit. Problems w/ angles and such. Bling Bling rather than function........

Just busting your *****, hope you fix the problem.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by CrashCade
For you vibration definitely check the front u-joints. If you are not sure, remove you front driveshaft and go for a drive. That will tell you if this is your problem or not.

As far as the "loss of control" feeling. I really recommend getting another Track bar from Don and install it. Yours might be fine, but Don's adds a better feel, and has more solid bushings that don't allow that much deflection. If that still does not fix your problem I would add a steering stabilizer and if still not good then go the route of checking/changing ***** joints on your axle.

My bet is on the track bar. Also, for a very solid steering set-up Don has his HD steering kits. I have one on my truck and absolutely love it. When you compare the price of that to replacing tie rod ends it is a much better option.

Just my $.02
Thanks CrashCade. Yeah I've had one of Don's bars on my truck before and I loved it. Only reason I don't have it now is because it went with my other lift as part of the package. If you're talking about stabilizers -- as in shocks -- I've already got the Defiant dual kit with the diff guard so I'm good there. If you're talking about steering braces..... I've really been thinking about one.

Just took a look at Don's HD steering kit. That thing is nice! Another thing to think about......
Old 09-24-2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 06CTDforAU
Thanks CrashCade. Yeah I've had one of Don's bars on my truck before and I loved it. Only reason I don't have it now is because it went with my other lift as part of the package. If you're talking about stabilizers -- as in shocks -- I've already got the Defiant dual kit with the diff guard so I'm good there. If you're talking about steering braces..... I've really been thinking about one.

Just took a look at Don's HD steering kit. That thing is nice! Another thing to think about......
You are welcome sir. I have never used a steering brace so I have no idea how good/bad those are. Also, running dual steering stabilizers helps a lot too. If you have any play in your tie-rod ends the HD steering will make a huge difference.

Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW, I just pulled my front driveshaft yesterday for the 3rd time because of bad ujoints. I really think the free spin hubs are the way to go. Unfortunately the are very pricey, so in the mean time just keeping the front driveshaft out till winter/offroad trips, should help prolong that problem.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:06 PM

The 6 inch fabtech is a good kit. I like mine. Hope your solution works.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:51 PM

One of my buddy's had a '06 Mega c. w/ a 6" Fabtech w/ 37" x 22`" w/ dirt logic shocks and it was harsh ride, compared to my superlift w/ bilsteins. But i just took mine in to dodge and told em my truck couldn't be aligned and Dodge came back w/ :found gear box ***. is making a knock sound and has excessive play. Left drag link left inner tie rod bootis torn apart. PERFORMED :replace steering damper and inner and outer tie rods and adjustment sleeves. Replaced gear box ***. and alignment ....< WARRANTY This was 1k ago now @ 23k
Old 09-25-2008, 04:53 PM

O.B.T.W. the new front end is all from the '08 mfg. yr
Old 09-25-2008, 06:06 PM

Another thing to help tighten up the feeling from the front end is a sector shaft support for your steering box. Many of them to choose from to work with sway bar drop blocks or extended sway bar links, and relatively cheap for the performance they provide. I went with Defiant for the one piece design and the way it nicely tucks up to the frame to give an almost invisible appearance.