3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

feedback from a run on the new smarty beta....

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a long time critic of the SmartyCR, I'm happy to report that the new 4.x beta completely resolves all issues I've had with excessive/uncontrollable smoke all while using #9. Also, my EGT's are down compared to Crazy Larry 2.4.1, and as long as my fuel mileage doesn't go in the wrong direction it'll become my programmer of choice...

Thanks Bob and Marco... Keep up the good work...
Old 11-21-2007, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Bob, all looks great so far, it's much more friendly around town. It seems to get away from me on the freeway, it likes 75+, even with my 4.10's. I'm in it for the economy (for the most part, lol), so is level 1 still the ticket for best mpg? I kinda wish I had this BEFORE I went on vacation last week. Even so, 14.6 mpg when towing my 25' travel trailer at 60 mph is pretty sweet to me!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by MegaBOMB
As a long time critic of the SmartyCR, I'm happy to report that the new 4.x beta completely resolves all issues I've had with excessive/uncontrollable smoke all while using #9. Also, my EGT's are down compared to Crazy Larry 2.4.1, and as long as my fuel mileage doesn't go in the wrong direction it'll become my programmer of choice...

Thanks Bob and Marco... Keep up the good work...

Finally

Thank you
Old 11-21-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Horn 06
Hey Bob, all looks great so far, it's much more friendly around town. It seems to get away from me on the freeway, it likes 75+, even with my 4.10's. I'm in it for the economy (for the most part, lol), so is level 1 still the ticket for best mpg? I kinda wish I had this BEFORE I went on vacation last week. Even so, 14.6 mpg when towing my 25' travel trailer at 60 mph is pretty sweet to me!

Marco says to try 3 or 5. Please keep us posted
Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Ok, will try that tonite. Will try 3 due to stock trans. This is by far the best program yet that I've had. No more excessive rattling like before. I can almost start saving for the trans mods since my 442 is just about ready from the paint shop!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
no not yet and sive us some time to play catch. Thanks for your support

Please enjoy this for a few miles. hours , minutes..... man can you say long dyas for all

We do apprciate all the support.

Thanks
No wonder my tranny shifting seems so stock! No TM will be a big improvement for the big ballers w/ trannies. This new 4.x is very SMOOOOOTH!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned

level 3? mine is going straight to level 9 when i load the new program tonight
Old 11-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Banned

I've noticed most of the same stuff with the new beta version. EGT's are a little lower across the board...from idle to cruise to WOT. Power seems similar to 4.4 (A LOT!) and I think smoke is less but it's hard to tell since it didn't really smoke much before. Haven't put enough miles on it to check mileage yet.

It seems some people are seeing reduced timing rattle and others increased rattle. 4.4 had no rattle at all on mine. With the new one the timing rattle is definitely back.

Can't wait for the full-on race version!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:55 AM

Level 9 is strong, more smoke free...cooler, and the throttle sensativity is spot on. I got too used to the sensative throttle over the last year...and am VERY glad it is much more linear now. I think I am in love.

Plays great still with the TST...added a little fuel over the top...and a tad of timing and saw NO problems.

Speed limiter adjustment is AWESOME.

Questions...

Does it have fog's and high beam capability?
Higher maximum cruise control speed?

High idle, adjustible idle, and tire size/speedo is spot on.

The truck seems so quiet and the engine temps SEEM way way down. It took me 20 minutes at 70 mph (it was 25 degrees though) to get to operating temp with my barbless thermostat. Looks lik eI need to get that switched out back to a normal one asap.

Just effortless cruise down the highway...fuel mileage has to be up.

Bob...please check your email/pm box. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 AM

I am not sure if I would want less linear of a pedal travel...cause that is all it seems to me the different TM's did. Push more of the fuel curve into less pedal travel.

Anyways...I am surprised you have timing rattle...Flux's and all????

Two programs should be named "Stock/Flux injects" with the same timing programming as this beta and "Honed injects" with reduced timing for those who insist to do things the old school/hard way.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
I am not sure if I would want less linear of a pedal travel...cause that is all it seems to me the different TM's did. Push more of the fuel curve into less pedal travel.

Anyways...I am surprised you have timing rattle...Flux's and all????

Two programs should be named "Stock/Flux injects" with the same timing programming as this beta and "Honed injects" with reduced timing for those who insist to do things the old school/hard way.
Yeah, the rattle is there big time. Sounds just like the old Wild program I tried a few times (with stock sticks). Beta 4.4 is as quiet as can be though.

So is EDM vs honed the difference when it comes to injectors and timing? I hear some people say that larger injectors advance timing, and then others (like you) say larger injectors actually retard timing. I think Don M even posted once that his injectors retard timing. This has always confused me.

EDIT TO ADD: I really love the linear throttle range too. It's awesome when you're at 90% throttle(=haulin' but) and still have power to spare!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 AM

Larger honed injectors advance injection timing...
Actually all honed injectors by practice advance injection timing to a degree.

Some EDM's...like Don M's can match the OEM injectors injection timing...or even retard it some...

Don't ask me how...ask Don. But if I were to make a guess...it has to do with spray pattern, atomization quality and time, and I imagine some really far out there stuff like pulse waves/harmonics.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
Larger honed injectors advance injection timing...
Actually all honed injectors by practice advance injection timing to a degree.

Some EDM's...like Don M's can match the OEM injectors injection timing...or even retard it some...

Don't ask me how...ask Don. But if I were to make a guess...it has to do with spray pattern, atomization quality and time, and I imagine some really far out there stuff like pulse waves/harmonics.
Thanks for the info, man.

It sounds like a very complex subject, and I think I'm more confused than ever now! I thought the advanced timing came from the additional fuel injected into the cylinder. By the sounds of it things are much more involved than that. Maybe DonM will be kind enough to chime in and enlighten us...
Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Hello, Diesel experts. I'm a first time poster and diesel truck owner. The smarty programmer sure sounds cool, but I'm ignorant about most things diesel. I drive a 07 Mega cab with stock 5.9. Would like more horsepower, better mpg, when I tow my 3horse trailer. What single exhaust and programmer would you fellas recommend? What about buying a smarty from Canada, any problems? Appreciate any and all advice.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:25 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by flatshooter
Hello, Diesel experts. I'm a first time poster and diesel truck owner. The smarty programmer sure sounds cool, but I'm ignorant about most things diesel. I drive a 07 Mega cab with stock 5.9. Would like more horsepower, better mpg, when I tow my 3horse trailer. What single exhaust and programmer would you fellas recommend? What about buying a smarty from Canada, any problems? Appreciate any and all advice.
Smarty was the single best thing I ever put on my truck.

Exhausts, well up north, I'd suggest you go with stainless-- the 304 variety so it lasts more than one winter-- but as far a mfgs. are concerened they differ more in sound quality and fit and finish than they do overall gains in performance. There are many to choose from-- look around and ask questions before you buy.

Quick Reply: feedback from a run on the new smarty beta....