3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fass for 04.5 95 or 150 gph??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fass for 04.5 95 or 150 gph??

I am looking to buy a fass setup for my truck. Last time on the dyno anything past 4/4 on the TST wouldn't change the HP and TQ, it just stayed the same, so I am thinking I am out of fuel. I am planning on doing twins over the winter and I don't know which size to get. I would like to get the 150 if it is not going to be too noisy. My truck is pretty loud with the 5", I can't see how the pump could be any louder than the exhaust. I also have seen the 1/2" pickup mentioned in earlier posts, is that an option or a custom fabbed thing. Any opinions would be appreciated on which one to get or where to buy it.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:32 PM

95 is more then enough. These pumps are already overkill for our trucks.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the 95gph FASS installed about a month ago. Idle 18psi, normal driving about 15-16psi. With HOT Juice on 180hp and EZ on level 3 WOT will pull down to about 13psi and then climb back up to about 15psi through the 1/4 mile.

I think the 95gph will feed anything the injection pump can possibly use. I can barely hear mine with the window down before started. Cant hear at all after started even standing next to it.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:46 PM

TST and Twins

Go with the 150, replace all your fuel lines including the pick up tube(which you will have to partially fabricate). Use 1/2 inch ID hose and port any restrictions such as the Fuel Filter Canister!!!! The 03-early 04 have a micro congestion area at the stock lift pump to fuel canister. Lift pump delete and then after porting the canister you gotta thread the canister to accept fittings OR put a 05 style fuel filter canister on the truck.

Use 3/8 hose for all the returns and use a bulkhead to plumb both returns back to the tank.

You can buy your bulkheads and all hoses fittings ect at any Hydraulic supply shop.

You want as much pressure as you can get AND huge lines.

What alot of people don't realize is we are trying to superfeed our CP3 Pump so it can do its job a little(ok a lot)better when we are boosting these trucks that have TST and alot of Turbo(s). It is not just a matter of supplying it with as much fuel as it can normally pump, it is about supplying massive amounts of fuel so it will keep the rail pressured up.

Also it may be worth mentioning we achieved a 4mpg increase on "Tasha's Evil Twin" by doing this very MOD except with a Fuel Preporator.

James
Old 09-06-2005, 07:13 AM

Get the 150
Old 09-06-2005, 08:57 AM

95gph version here. I started out with a 150gph version and wasn't too happy with it. It had a lot of cavitation issues, even with a new pick-up tube and new line all the way to the CP3. It was also so loud that it got on my nerves while sitting at stop lights. I'm much happier with the 95gph version and it can provide more fuel than you will ever need.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:30 PM

What I don't understand is the new pickup tube. Does it now have a 3/8 tube going into the tank and I replace it with a 1/2. I was under the impression that fass would remove the stock fuel filter and canister and plumb 1/2 right to the cp3. Where is the best place to buy the setup, I think I am sold on the 150 just because I know future mods will follow.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dave04600
What I don't understand is the new pickup tube. Does it now have a 3/8 tube going into the tank and I replace it with a 1/2. I was under the impression that fass would remove the stock fuel filter and canister and plumb 1/2 right to the cp3. Where is the best place to buy the setup, I think I am sold on the 150 just because I know future mods will follow.
factory pickup tube delete... new hole in fuel canister, bulkhead installed in new hole, 1/2 inch ID(5/8 or 3/4"OD?), new tube run all the way down to the original pickup tube hole in screen(need to be looking at it for this to make sense). There is a secondary screen at bottom so you still screen fuel before pickup tube.

The factory Fuel Filter and canister is a little more complex in the 3rd Gen. We would delete it on the 2nd Gen trucks. on the 3rd gen just port out the heater inside the fuel filter canister and port/thread where the factory lift pump is attached and reuse. Install it without the fuel filter.

I have a dealership status with Fuel Preporator but not FASS. The FASS is alot more economical.

Someone will chime in soon and let you know about a FASS Dealer.

Good Luck
James
Old 09-06-2005, 07:20 PM

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!

Install the new pickup tube in the stock "in tank" canister...

If you don't and install it anywhere else in the tank, you will have cavitation when the fuel sloshes around.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dave04600
The FASS doesn't come with a new pick-up tube. That is a mod most seem to be doing to keep the bigger version from sucking air, causing it to cavitate. If you go with the 150gph FASS, a new pick-up tube is a must. If you want to replace yours, you will have to track down all the parts and drill a new hole in the tank for it. Some have reported cavitation even with the 95gph pump when using the stock pick-up tube, but simply removing the screen on the inside end of the stock tube seems to boost flow enough to keep the 95gph pump from sucking air.

The stock pick-up tube is 1/4" inside diameter with a screen on the inside end to restrict flow even more. Most replace it with a 1/2" pick-up tube as those assemblies are easy to get complete with bulkhead fitting from just about any big rig shop for less than $20. It is the same pick-up tube assembly they use in their big tanks. With the 150gph FASS, it is sucking so much fuel that the stock pick-up tube can't support the flow, causing the FASS to suck in air from every not-so-perfectly-sealed joint between it and the tank. The cavitation is just big air pockets hitting the pump. Brad at DPP said the air won't hurt the pump, but the volume of air can be so great that the FASS can't remove it all and it gets sent to your CP3 where it is not welcome. You don't want your CP3 cavitating constantly from large air pockets hitting it.

When I got my FASS, it was designed to bypass the stock fuel filter housing completely. Seems I remember someone recently saying DPP is now supplying the fitting to plumb the FASS into your stock filter canister, so you have the option to use it if you want. I would suggest putting a 3-micron filter on your FASS and bypass the stock unit, which is 10-micron and won't be doing you much good at that point. It won't hurt anything to use it though and some feel safer keeping it in the loop.

Rip Rook at www.sourceautomotive.biz and the folks at www.piersdiesel.com have the best pricing I have seen recently on the FASS.

For what it is worth, I run the 95gph FASS with a 3-micron filter sucking through a Racor Nomad fuel heater and my pressure holds steady at 13.2psi at the CP3 during a 1/4 mile run. The CP3 is pressurizing the fuel to 23,000+ psi. Plus or minus 2 to 4 psi at the back end makes no difference as long as you are maintaining positive pressure in the 8 to 10 psi range.