3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

exhaust brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 06:59 PM
tcb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust brakes

have an 03 with a well performing 47re. any help on availability or adaptability of and exhaust brake would be appreciated. and yes i have no regrets about my 47re. i like it and figure 02 caryovers might work.

thanks in advance,
tim
Old 08-28-2004, 07:10 PM

I think I saw that Banks has a kit.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:40 PM

Being very experienced in the Diesel engine business, I would seek a "Jake" from one of two sources...

1.) Your Dodge dealer, assuming he is well-trained and competant with the Cummins application...

2.) Your local Cummins distributor... the house that specializes 100% on Cummins / Onan products.

The above two choices are not "cheap"... but you'll get the correct hardware and workmanship... along with a high integrity level of warranty...
Old 08-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Ted what is/are the part numbers for a true Jake brake for the 5.9 Cummins engine in the Dodge Ram configuration as I am only familiar with exhaust brakes?
So far the blank stare is what I get at a Cummins outlet and I am told; "There is no Jake Brake for the Ram as it works on the exhaust valves, not the exhaust."

It won't be the first time I give them their part numbers for things they told me do not exist.

thanks
Scotty
Old 08-29-2004, 11:42 AM

I can help with the part numbers there Scotty, and these are exhaust brakes, they donot make a valve type for the B engines

Cummins # 4089427 Price= 1327.71
Mopar # 82208277 Price= 1325.00 or better if ya know someone

But they aren't gonna sell ya one right now, they have recalled all of them off the dealers shelves. Not sure what the problem is with them but they are not selling them right now and oh yea it is for the 6 speeds only!!! I talked to the local Cummins guys and they told me that they have over 200 of them at the factory but that they could not get them as they are on hold indefinetly
Old 08-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Banned

The only way you can run an exhaust brake on an auto is if you have an upgraded torque converter and valve body. The stock TC can't withstand the force.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:50 AM

Scotty , these are the part numbers for the 600 , Cummins 4089598 and for DC 82208835 and these are made by Jake Brakes
Old 08-29-2004, 02:02 PM

The above appears all correct... Of the TWO types of Jake Brake (Jacobs Engine Brake Company)... Only the EXHAUST retarder type is available for the "B" Series Ragburner... and not recommended with the Automatic...

Here's an opportunity to explain the TWO entirely different types of Jake... Class is in session...

1.) TRADITIONAL... Electric over hydraulic slave cylinder activates exhaust VALVES (under rocker cover) type... Class 8 trucks (Freightliner. Kenworth, Peterbilt, Volvo, Mack, Western Star)... Principal of operation... We all know downhill resistance to the wheels is naturally generated by the engine's pistons going upward on compression UPSTROKE as the vehicle descends a hill at the no fuel injector setting... Athough no fuel fires, when the piston starts the DOWNSTROKE, ELASTICITY of the compressed air HELPS the piston back down, certainly OFFERING NO WHEEL RESISTANCE... What if, however, we could slightly open the exhaust valves near TDC (top dead center) for a split second, releasing the compression out the exhaust (LOUD!!!), thus downstroking on a vacuum... now resistance is created on the DOWNSTROKE thus more than doubling the engine braking, offering resistance to the wheels usually about equal to the engine hp...

2.) Exhaust type... much simpler... a gate restricting exhaust discharge... offering flow resistence thru the engine, retarding the wheels... Class dismissed...

Jake has a competitor... PacBrake in Seattle... I'll check with my friends there to see if they offer a unit for the "B" series...
Old 08-29-2004, 05:32 PM

Dr. Diesel is correct in that several people make exhaust brakes for these engines, Pacbrake......BD........Banks, just to name a few but the only one that is approved by Mopar is the Jacobs. None of the others are approved for use on the Dodge.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
So there is no Jacobs engine Brake for the B5.9...thats what I was wondering.
I knew of an exhaust brake by Jacobs.

I have a Pacbrake here provided by Bruce Sebring of Pacbrake for an article. I started to mock it up with my stock exhaust and started to look at the alterations and decided to set it back on the shelf til I get the new full 4" exhaust as this is an inline exhaust brake. Since I am doing two turbos on WLD RYD soon, I chose to go with an inline over the one that is bolt on behind the turbo.

Thanks for the info.

Scotty
Old 08-29-2004, 08:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
This seems to be a topic that reappears periodically.

The DC brake is Jacob brand, but is a butterfly type exhaust brake.

Jacobs also builds the compression type brake, that Dr. D outlined above, which allows the engine's compression pressure to be released near TDC so that the energy used to push the piston up on the compression stroke isn't returned on the following downstroke, but that type is only for ISC and larger...