3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Sweet Spot

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Sweet Spot

I don't know quite how to word this, so please bear with me. First of all, I have an Edge Juice with Attitude on my 04.5. I've played with the settings some; even level 4 and 5 with the stock drive train but haven't hammered it on those settings. There is a definite power increase I can feel in all the settings. It also seems like there is a slight increase in milage. I tow a lot so every little bit helps. What I am wondering is finding the sweet spot; aka the most fuel efficient cruising speed and Juice setting. On the Attitude monitor right now I have the EGT, Boost and Load displayed. What I found out while playing with the settings is that on level 4 and 5 the EGT, Boost and Load are all lower than when the Juice is set on the lower levels. This was cruising on level roads at 55mph. I was not towing at the time either in these settings. Am I correct in assuming that the point at which the EGT, Boost and Load are at their lowest is the sweet spot. If that is so then, should/can I drive ( not towing ) at level 5 as long as I keep my foot out of it?? It would seem to me that because these three variables are lower on the higher settings that the truck is burning less fuel at that speed than on the lower settings or stock and therefore should get better milage. Am I correct or am I missing something here??
Old 03-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Banned

The cummins gets it's best mileage between 1800-2200 rpm. As for the best edge setting I don't know. I set my comp on level 1 for a 2 hour cruise and got worse mileage than I did with it on level 3.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dorkweed's question is a good one. First, I don't know what he means by load guage, but in my mind the best fuel economy will be acheived when the output power is doing the job at hand and the EGT is at its lowest. My rational is these boxes raise rail pressure and advance the injection event timing and the lower the EGT, more work is being extracted from the fuel heat before the exhaust event. The amount of boost is not a player here because turbo work is reflected in manifold temperature anyway.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:55 AM
Muted User

Thanks Steve-I for your response. I was just making observations as to what the Attitude monitor was displaying at the various levels. Edge tells you not to use level 4 or 5 unless you have upgraded the drive train. I used 4 and 5 and drove like a Granny like I always do and reported my observations. The Load Gauge/Display is the % of total fueling I believe. On the higher levels it was 2-3% lower than on stock, level 1,2or 3. This would seem to say that it is getting more oomf out of less fuel.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:01 PM

There is more timing in the high levels.

More timing=more power with less fuel used.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Muted User

That's what I was getting at Big Red. Just too much stuff running around in my head to say that simply. I can't remember if it was in this forum or not, but I was reading that the 3rd event in the 04.5+ models actually happens well after TDC. If that is true, it's no wonder that that 04.5's and up don't get the mileage of the earlier models. So it would seem logical that if you can advance the timing a bit that it would help mileage. I'm also pretty sure that Edge tells you not to run in levels 4 and 5 without drive train improvements to cover their rears a bit for those that can't keep their foot out of it!!! If you mind your p's and q's, you can run the higher levels with no problems. Please chip in and tell me if my logic is off. I've had a few beers today!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 11:35 PM

Dorkweed, I'd bet that the load reading on your Juice is just a converted signal off the engine Map sensor. I'd also be willing to bet that combining the highest possible speed in OD with the lowest possible load reading is going to be your mileage sweet spot Maybe If you monitor that load reading at a given speed you could see the difference in which way the wind was blowing, with or against. It should be pretty accurate.