3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine problems...XZillaraider/Commander related?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine problems...XZillaraider/Commander related?

I threw some more codes this morning - P0116, P0192. No miss, no stumble, nothing but the check engine light to show that there was something wrong. In late December, as I was driving home from Montana (temp was around 5 degrees), the motor just died on the freeway, and threw the same codes. Motor fired right up that time and continued home without any additional incident.

Lately, I've been getting a stumble on startup periodically. I've been attempting to make certain its not me short keying it and being the cause. It also seems that its smoking more than normal, but again thats just a gut feeling.

I've had these same codes from the Quad stuff individually before, but this is the first time together. Besides just pulling the Quadzilla stuff, what kind of diagnostics should I do to see what the cause may be? I'm a little suspicous that temperature may be involved in the equation somehow, as its been below freezing every time I've had the check engine light come on (this am it was 27).
Old 01-29-2007, 01:01 PM

Does the truck ever try to enable the high idle on its own? I am just trying to see if the 0116 has anything to do with the rail? Sort of an odd couple when it comes to codes.

Also I am assuming that you are running winter blend fuel up there. I have seen trucks act pretty goofy when the fuel tries to gel up a little. I actually had a similar problem with my truck in Kansas around the 1st of December! I drove up there on good ol TX fuel and the next morning it was 3 degrees and boy that was ugly when I tried to start it. We finally got some conditioner in the fuel and everything was good.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Does the truck ever try to enable the high idle on its own? I am just trying to see if the 0116 has anything to do with the rail? Sort of an odd couple when it comes to codes.

Also I am assuming that you are running winter blend fuel up there. I have seen trucks act pretty goofy when the fuel tries to gel up a little. I actually had a similar problem with my truck in Kansas around the 1st of December! I drove up there on good ol TX fuel and the next morning it was 3 degrees and boy that was ugly when I tried to start it. We finally got some conditioner in the fuel and everything was good.
It hit high idle this morning - it started while I was out scraping the windows. I did NOT notice the check engine light until after I had gotten back in. This is the only time in the last month it has gone into high idle.

I believe we have a mix here in Seattle. They dont post anything on the pumps - which really chaps my edited by admin My fuel mileage always goes down around late October - leading me to believe they start mixing it then.
When I was in Montana at Christmas (when the motor died on the freeway), I had straight winter blend, with extra conditioner added. Many people in Eastern MT and western ND are having gelling issues with the newer trucks.

I agree that its an odd combo of codes.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 02-05-2007 at 08:29 PM. Reason: language, by-passing word filter
Old 01-29-2007, 02:41 PM

I wonder if the high idle is causing some sort of goofy issue. The reason I asked about high idle is that it is coolant temp dependant?

Very, very odd. I will have to put my thinking cap on for this one.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:17 PM

You know, now that I think about it more, the only other time I've noticed high idle kick in was the morning we left from MT......
Old 01-29-2007, 05:49 PM

Is it something that happen a lot below frezing point and with winter fuel I am curious being in Quebec Canada with a -23 Celcius this morning.

Thanks

Buzzman
Old 01-29-2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzman
Is it something that happen a lot below frezing point and with winter fuel I am curious being in Quebec Canada with a -23 Celcius this morning.

Thanks

Buzzman
Well, thats kinda what I am trying to figure out. The two times in the last month it threw codes, it was below freezing (5 deg and 27 deg.).
I have less info on the fuel since the service stations around here dont post what fuel they are selling.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:38 PM

I have just purchased a commander, not been able to install it yet, as I am away from home for a while, these issues I am reading about are placing me in an indecisive frame of mind as to installing the commander - no downloader yet!
Do I need to wait for any up-comming up grades before installing.

Yours truly
Paranoid.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:14 PM

The Commander is just a gauge and has no bearing on this problem and will not cause any other issues.

I am still not sure why threads like this come across the way they do. the problem with modifying the truck is that the second it makes a noise it is something to do with the parts they added. Sometimes this is true but, many times it is not.

I bet the truck has some sort of high idle flash issue or something when the temps are way out of whack or something?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:39 PM

qzilla,
I love my truck, paid good money for it and will be doing so for quite a while to come.
I have purchased the commander due to the excellent references on this forum, I an amazed at the response times you have to these queries.
I just do not want to mess my baby around - no direspect intended.

Thank you for your response.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:09 PM

RODSRAM: If you read forums much, you will notice that most of what you see are people having problems, the second most is the "I've never had a problem..", then you have the few that actaully provide some feedback and help (like Quad). The majority of guys that have a product that functions correctly arent likely to post anything. So using a forum to base an opinion of a products reliability is probably not wise. I personally would only use them to see what problems I MAY run into, not to see what the frequency is.

I posted my problem I'm seeing as a question of how I can better determine what the cause may be, and if it may be related to the products that I have added to my truck. Yes, I've had a history of each of these codes with Quads products. My first Commander threw the water temp voltage code when I was installing it - I changed the wire tap out to solve it, and my first XZillaraider threw the other code with a loose connection at the box - I beleive that one was solved by a whole new harness and box. But that doesnt necessarily mean that its causing the problem this time.

In my own OPINION, I think I see a higher frequency of problems posted for Quadzilla products than say the Edge, but I think they are more superficial types of problems (I dont think I've ever read about someone actually damaging their truck with a Quad product on it), but I have read of such things with most of the other mfgrs. THe help on here form them is also better. Therefore, I would continue to use them.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:21 PM

Thiessen,
I will install the product, I seem to agree with you - don't know why, its all pretty logical.
Quad, as I have said, I am amazed to have this type of correspondance with a direct 'rep of the company. - Keep it up!
I have used forums in the past - dirtbiking etc. BUT! , I do pay attention to what others say, or this would all be a waste of time.
Thanks to all who contribute.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:16 AM

When I chose to actively participate in the forums I opened myself up for considerably more exposure than a normal "vendor".

First and foremost I love tinkering with these things and I want to help out as much as I can. I also learn quite a few things from people on here so to me it is a 2 way street. I have always run our business a lot different than most and I am extremely hands on. Maybe too much sometimes!

Anyhow, in doing this people realize if they pose question and problems on here that i am going to answer and or fix the problem or at leat provide some solution. For many people it is much easier than calling our tech dept or they can get answers many nights at midnight.

I take the good with bad and even though sometime things are frustrating I wouldn't change anything. We build so many parts it is ridiculous and we are bound to have issues either on our end or installation issues at some point. So to me seeing a few problems here and there is not much over what is shipped but, if someone on hear has a problem or thinks that they have a problem you can be rest assured it gets posted so that I see it and help resolve it. You won't see that most of the time with others as they are call their dealer or the company direct.

By all means if someone has an issue or question post it up so we can help you. Ultimately we want everyone to be happy and we will do whatever it takes to make that happen.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:16 PM

I though a P0236 and P0069.....Installed the commander and I have issues with it... Any help would be great....
Old 02-05-2007, 10:36 PM

Mudhog,

Your issues are a little deeper than just having a couple of codes. I sent you a response to your pm and I will call you in the morning. Before I worry about any codes we have to put all your wiring harnesses back together. There is not telling what is causing the issue at this point it could be a hundred things.

Do not put anything back together until we talk to you again in the morning. If you get a ground wire in the wrong spot it could be potentially really bad.