3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

Anyone using these have any mileage figures? I hate not being able to unlock the front hubs, especially when I want to use low range to back a trailer slowly. A nice mileage gain might help convince the CFO.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have them the dually takes a spacer and the conversion was a little more expensive, only seen 0.5 mpg improvement but spent two hours backing a trailer around the construction yard, worth every penney for that
Old 02-20-2008, 09:08 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
My buddy converted his and hasn't noticed much improvement.Peace of mind is the big improvement. What's going to make a difference is his recently installed Gearvendor under/overdrive. 450 rpm reduction at 70 mph.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
a guy here in town installed them on his 06 longbed mega and he reported 3mpg gain. truck is also lifted 6 inches with 37's. don't know how true it is but I am also looking into doing a conversion on mine.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by carl48
i have them the dually takes a spacer and the conversion was a little more expensive, only seen 0.5 mpg improvement but spent two hours backing a trailer around the construction yard, worth every penney for that

That is why I would love them.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM

I'm surprised at people getting as little as .5 or even no mpg gain with hubs. Did you guys maybe over-torque the spanner nut? I picked up 2mpg with the freespins. I actually saw more gain from those than the overdrive. Overdrive really won't give you any more mpg's. It just maintains what you're already getting at much faster interstate speeds.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:47 PM

Just got an email from Dynatracs about the Dynaloc upgrades. They sent me some pics of a Power Wagon with Dynatracs before and after upgrading to Dynalocs. It looks way better with Dynalocs and the hub only sticks out 1" outside the hub cap whereas with the Warn hubs it sticks out 2". I'm doing the Dynalocs upgrade here before too long. That was the one thing I hated about the hubs sticking out so far but only 1" they don't look so bad.. not bad at all...
Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i was a little disapointed in the mileage but i am also heavier than average, with 100 gallons of extra fuel 5th wheel and boxes my 9.2 mpg starting mileage when pulling the 5th wheel at 65 mph before mod to 9.8-9.9 after mod, did not check not pulling, now that i made the rest of the mods i guess i could lock in the hubs on the first half of a trip and unlock on return to see what the non pulling increase is
Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Banned

whats the price on the free spin hubs by the way? also i would think it would save some MPG being it doesnt have to turn the front DL and the drag of the free spin in the TC.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by carl48
i was a little disapointed in the mileage but i am also heavier than average, with 100 gallons of extra fuel 5th wheel and boxes my 9.2 mpg starting mileage when pulling the 5th wheel at 65 mph before mod to 9.8-9.9 after mod, did not check not pulling, now that i made the rest of the mods i guess i could lock in the hubs on the first half of a trip and unlock on return to see what the non pulling increase is
9.2 to 9.8 is slightly more than a six and a half percent increase in mileage, which doesn't seem too shabby.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 AM

How hard are they to install? Any special tools required?
Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 AM

Not too bad to install took me about half a day. Someone that's messed around with hubs before could probably do it in 3 or 4 hours. Only special tool that comes to mind that I had to get was a 6 point spanner socket other than that just standard tools. The worst part was teardown. Things were siezed up pretty good even though my truck was almost new. Kit was $1883 shipped to my house think it was $1795 no shipping that was last feb don't know what current pricing is. Machine work and fit and finish of the parts was all first rate. I'm gonna post the pics of that power wagon with before warns hubs and after dynalocs if I an ever get a good high speed connection sometime later today. It's a pricey upgrade but you hardly notice the hubs sticking out at all with dynalocs on there. They would work on an EMS hub kit too all you do is pull the warn locking unit out and replace it.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 AM

The dynatrac kit seems to be holding up pretty good. We have a dually fuel hauller at work that has a little over two months with them with no bearing problems yet. We are lucky to get 4 months on a set of front wheel hubs.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 AM

Yeah

Originally Posted by Danderson
My buddy converted his and hasn't noticed much improvement.Peace of mind is the big improvement. What's going to make a difference is his recently installed Gearvendor under/overdrive. 450 rpm reduction at 70 mph.
What he said!!!! Two greaseable Timken bearings supporting each wheel hub instead of a single roller bearing.

L9r,..........dogger
Old 02-21-2008, 11:07 AM

Junky, I looked in your gallery, those hubs you put on stick out quite a long way, I see you had to cut a hole in your wheel caps?
Is there some that don't stick out so far?

Quick Reply: Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs