3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drive pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:20 PM
O.T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive pressure gauge

Does anyone make a 2-1/16" drive pressure gauge??
Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Muted User

You just use a boost gauge and copper line. I've never seen a specific gauge labeled for it.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We make a TIP gauge kit that works with a standard Autometer gauge and uses the same hole in the exhaust manifold as the EGT probe does.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If we are runnin a 1:1 with resonable timing everything should be OK, right?

Isnt 1:1 or less what we are shootin for?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:06 AM

What size of gauge, up to what psi boes a guy need to get? I have another boost gauge but I think it only goes to 30. Isnt that to low.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 AM
wap

I would get at least a 60. In a lot of cases you driver pressures will be higher than or at least as high as your boost. You want it lower but high boost with small chargers ramps it up. If you are pushin more than 30 lbs of boost it would not be enough. I may just go ahead and get a 100 lb guage for mine, just in case.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:13 AM

Where are you gonna drill your probe?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My only question is why? If you have custom twins that havent been tested than sure. But if you have a set like BD or ATS they have been tested from the factory. Also you can find threads of other people running drive gauges and their results. But if you just want another gauge or have the money go for it. Its just my understanding you run copper from your exhaust manifold, and your gauge is gonna take some serious heat and not last for long. Just what Ive read, I have never run a drive pressure gauge cause I dont want 1300+ degrees running up to a gauge.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 AM

I guess I see your point but I want to know as I modify the truck and with different setups what Im getting first hand. It just takes some of the guesswork out of it. I wonder what would happen if I used the sender for like a digital gauge like the commander and then just used there boost gauge as a DP gauge. What would be wrong with that? Anybody else doing that?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tristan21
I guess I see your point but I want to know as I modify the truck and with different setups what Im getting first hand. It just takes some of the guesswork out of it. I wonder what would happen if I used the sender for like a digital gauge like the commander and then just used there boost gauge as a DP gauge. What would be wrong with that? Anybody else doing that?
I think that's the most practical way to do it. Not sure about the Commander probe, but I think some electric senders can take the heat no problem. I would call the manufacturer first to find out for sure though!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:42 AM
wap

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
My only question is why? If you have custom twins that havent been tested than sure. But if you have a set like BD or ATS they have been tested from the factory. Also you can find threads of other people running drive gauges and their results. But if you just want another gauge or have the money go for it. Its just my understanding you run copper from your exhaust manifold, and your gauge is gonna take some serious heat and not last for long. Just what Ive read, I have never run a drive pressure gauge cause I dont want 1300+ degrees running up to a gauge.
If you can find the logs for drive pressure for my set up I would love to see em. If a reputable source told me my DP was X at Y psi I would be satisfied with that but have yet to find that info.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:44 AM

I guess I was just confused as to why the dp gauge would be any different than any other egt or boost gauge?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by wap
I would get at least a 60. In a lot of cases you driver pressures will be higher than or at least as high as your boost. You want it lower but high boost with small chargers ramps it up. If you are pushin more than 30 lbs of boost it would not be enough. I may just go ahead and get a 100 lb guage for mine, just in case.
I wish we'd gotten a 100lb unit for the TIP kit - the 60lb version pegs the needle at 75psi!

Originally Posted by tristan21
Where are you gonna drill your probe?
Our TIP gauge kit uses the same hole as your EGT probe.

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Why?
Because no two 'charger setups necessarily run the same TIP, and because different fueling tunes usually alter the TIP/boost relationship.

You're correct about the copper lines from the exhaust manifold being an unacceptable method of plumbing a TIP gauge - the CTD engine environment is very harsh (lots of vibration and heat); that's why our TIP gauge kits are designed to operate under those conditions indefinitely, while still maintaining a remote readout in the cab.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:50 PM
wap

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I wish we'd gotten a 100lb unit for the TIP kit - the 60lb version pegs the needle at 75psi!

Our TIP gauge kit uses the same hole as your EGT probe.

Why?
Because no two 'charger setups necessarily run the same TIP, and because different fueling tunes usually alter the TIP/boost relationship.

You're correct about the copper lines from the exhaust manifold being an unacceptable method of plumbing a TIP gauge - the CTD engine environment is very harsh (lots of vibration and heat); that's why our TIP gauge kits are designed to operate under those conditions indefinitely, while still maintaining a remote readout in the cab.

Would you sell the kit minus the guage if, say, oh I dont know, someone had a spare boost guage?

Shoot me a price if ya dont mind.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:48 PM

Of course - that's how the TIP kit comes standard (w/o gauge), so each person can have the exact style they want in their truck... connection to a 1/8" boost tube is standard, but other sizes are available upon request.

Hope to have all the info up on the site next week!

Tony (trik396) recently received a TIP guage kit - he'd probably have some feedback for ya...