3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does adding boost fooler help spool quicker.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does adding boost fooler help spool quicker.

Im thinking about getting a boost fooler for the ram and id like to know if it will work for me. Id like to get quicker spooling from a dead stop. like from stop sign and red lights. I know the best way for this is to get smaller tires but not happening lol.

Thanks for any input
Paul
Old 03-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
no, boost fooler tricks the ecm into thinking it is a lower boost number when you are running bigger turbo/'s
Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 AM

so it only raises the boost at WOT
Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Chapter President

does not raise the boost at all. it tricks the ECM so it won't set an overboost code. does nothing for spool up
Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 AM

icic. so when people install it and there boost gauge shows higher than stock its not really? sry a little confused now. i understand what ur saying but i always thought it does raise boost
Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 AM

I don't know what everyone is talking about. My mechanical gauge shows higher boost at full throttle (40psi) and it spools much faster below that. Boosted launches are more difficult without it. It fools the ecm into thinking boost is lower than it really is, so it runs it up. Buy it!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 07BigHornRam
icic. so when people install it and there boost gauge shows higher than stock its not really? sry a little confused now. i understand what ur saying but i always thought it does raise boost

your mechanical boost gauge is going to read actual. fooler is electronic and only messes with the ecm to prevent overboost codes
Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by BigDogJeepin
I don't know what everyone is talking about. My mechanical gauge shows higher boost at full throttle (40psi) and it spools much faster below that. Boosted launches are more difficult without it. It fools the ecm into thinking boost is lower than it really is, so it runs it up. Buy it!
until he gets rid of the predator, he will never see 40psi and if he does, his tranny is going to be screaming at him. yours is built and you are running higher SW's from the smarty than he can (if he had a smarty) with a stock trans (unless his trans is built and just don't say it in his sig)
Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 AM

so then why are others seeing 40 when you say it does nothing to raise boost and only prevents overboost code.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Chapter President

i had one on my last 5.9 and it did nothing. they are designed to prevent over boost codes when running larger turbo's. smarty has boost fooling built in anyways.

and to get 40psi there are many factors, load, elevation, fueling etc.... come up to 5100 feet where we are and would lay money that 40psi would be very rare with a stock turbo
Old 03-17-2011, 09:11 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs

and to get 40psi there are many factors, load, elevation, fueling etc.... come up to 5100 feet where we are and would lay money that 40psi would be very rare with a stock turbo
By the time you subtract the lower ~3 psi from elevation and the compounded effect that has on air density... very rare indeed if not possible without grenading a seriously overspun turbo.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 AM

ok now that i know. scrap this idea. thanks guys
Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I believe cbrahs is correct in that the boost fooler tricks the ECM into thinking the boost is lower than it actually is. This does mean that the ECM will not throw an overboost code. However, I believe the primary purpose of this "fooling" or "tricking" is to prevent the ECM from telling the wastegate to open, thereby allowing more boost.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 AM

thats what i thought.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by randallp84
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I believe cbrahs is correct in that the boost fooler tricks the ECM into thinking the boost is lower than it actually is. This does mean that the ECM will not throw an overboost code. However, I believe the primary purpose of this "fooling" or "tricking" is to prevent the ECM from telling the wastegate to open, thereby allowing more boost.
Also note that this statement only applies to 04.5+ trucks with the electronic wastegate. On earlier trucks that don't have an electronic wastegate, the primary (and maybe ONLY) purpose of the boost fooler would be to prevent overboost codes.

Quick Reply: Does adding boost fooler help spool quicker.