3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does adding boost fooler help spool quicker.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason your seeing higher boost is because without a fooler your ECM defuels at 26psi and your wastegate will open. The fooler stops your ECM from defueling which I believe is the reason most guys run them.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Also with a fooler the pred will get him to 40 psi. I see 40 all the time but don't do it often
Old 03-17-2011, 10:34 AM

but will it cause quicker spooling. thats the main thing im after here
Old 03-17-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 07BigHornRam
but will it cause quicker spooling. thats the main thing im after here
Nope, it will only allow higher maximum boost.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 AM

ok thanks randall
Old 03-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Chapter President

The boost fooler does nothing below 28 lbs of boost which is where the factory wastegate opens up. The BF tricks the ECM, which keeps the wastegate closed allowing for more boost, thereby helping with EGT's, which is why most people run them. I can hit 40psi with just a set of 50hp sticks, intake and exhaust. It definately DOES help with EGT's and towing especially. On the '04.5 and up trucks all you need is the BF since it is electronic, on earlier thrucks you need a part to keep the wastegate shut.

The only thing that is going to change your spool up on a stock turbo is...well..changing to another turbo really. An open intake and exhaust MIGHT help a little, but only on higher horsepower trucks as the stock intake is good to 400hp. These turbos spool up pretty quick IMHO, I really think if you want instant gratification you need a supercharger or liquid drugs.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by randallp84
Nope, it will only allow higher maximum boost.
That is NOT my experience. I tow heavy, around 14k. The BF makes a noticeable difference in boost and egt's at all rpms. It compliments the Smarty well. The Smarty does not boost fool, it just prevents overboost codes.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 PM

what about when ur not towing?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigDogJeepin
The Smarty does not boost fool, it just prevents overboost codes.
I think this may be incorrect. I only see ~26psi on SW0, but will see it hit as high as 40psi otherwise.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Further...

"Q. Does Smarty do the boost fooling function?

A. Yes, all the the softwares in Smarty have modified boost tables in order to allow higher boost without defuelling.
( Except ;SW # 0 and of course Stock ) No external boost fooler is required!"

From http://www.madselectronics.com/faq.html
Old 03-17-2011, 02:11 PM

well after reading all the replys from the bag of worms i opened. i think the only way the fooler will help me out since it doesnt help to spool quicker. is to use it in the winter months when the grill cover is on, to help cool the EGT's when i have to get on it. Anyone agree ?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDogJeepin
That is NOT my experience. I tow heavy, around 14k. The BF makes a noticeable difference in boost and egt's at all rpms. It compliments the Smarty well. The Smarty does not boost fool, it just prevents overboost codes.
that is what a boost fooler does.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:37 PM

cbrahs, I don't have a BF, but it's my understanding that they plug inline to the MAP sensor. So I'm pretty sure all it does is lowers the value that the ECM sees. For electronically controlled wastegate trucks, I would think this would allow a higher boost. I don't know what other parameters it might affect such as fueling, timing, etc. maps, but I think you might be being a bit close-minded.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
ok.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by gadget
cbrahs, I don't have a BF, but it's my understanding that they plug inline to the MAP sensor. So I'm pretty sure all it does is lowers the value that the ECM sees. For electronically controlled wastegate trucks, I would think this would allow a higher boost.
That is pretty much how it works. In fact in all the cases I have seen it will actually make the wastegate inoperable. A fouler on my stock tuned 07 5.9 gave me an extra 5psi. Once I put on Crazy Larry and sprayed a little nitrous through it made > 45psi, and bully dog has no effect on the wastegate or boost fouling, it just provides the extra heat to really max out the stock turbo.

All a boost fouler does it prevent the map sensor voltage from exceeding a preset limit. It fouls the voltage signal to the ecm so that it never see enough map sensor voltage to open the waste gate. Of course like mentioned this only applies to the later model electronically controlled waste gates.

Quick Reply: Does adding boost fooler help spool quicker.