3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do it right the first time.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it right the first time.....

1 year ago i bought all the parts from suncoast (billet input rebuild kit flex tq converter etc) and let the local guy thats been in business 4ever and said he knows dodges real good and could build me a tranny. I did this because i didnt have the time to drive to fla and get the real deal from suncoast and i thought it would be ok. One month after he built the thing it started slipping in reverse and he said there was nothing he could do because its installed right and thats just the way its going to be. One year later (like tuesday) the whole dang reverse fell out and first was going too. He said he couldnt warranty suncoast parts and refused to look at it. This mistake cost me 4500 bucks. Weds i got a friend to drive it to suncoast and get the realdeal installed and there is no comparison with the one my local guy threw together. Lession learned, never let the local guy build a tranny thats out of his leage to start with and this one cost me 9k to make it right.
Thank u suncoast for a fast build and install....Nothing like true professionals!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been telling people this type of thing for FOREVER. You have to PAY TO PLAY. Not just in the diesel performance world either, it goes for ALL MOTOR SPORTS. You sound like lots of guys around here that tried it the cheap way and ended up really paying for it in the end. One guy here is on his 3rd engine, 5th turbo, 6th head gasket , 4th trans (keeps going to the local guy with his box of SunCoast parts as you did, but he keeps on doing it) , and he still barely is topping the 600 Hp mark. It sucks that it happened to you, but hey you got to learn sometime. Unfortunately when it comes to these machines a simple mistake can be very costly. I wish you the best of luck with your new trans and hope that others out there can learn from your mistake before they have and expensive one too. I know I have shown a few people out there the "expensive" way of doing things a time or two .
Old 12-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amen brotha!!! The same thing happened to me. I took my truck to a local shop and had a bunch of parts installed. The transmission leaked for a long time out of the band adjuster bolt. I took it back several times and they said they fixed it each time. The last time they said they fixed it I found that they had just covered the outside of the band adjuster bolt with a big glob of silicone. Later I had some more stuff I wanted done and ended up taking it to James Trans. Tech. in Midlothian, TX. He came highly recommended here on DTR. James put in my new parts and fixed the leak. It has not leaked since (over a year). So, ask around before taking your truck to a shop. Find shops that come recommended by your DTR brothers.