3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Do I really need an Air Dog?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do I really need an Air Dog?

Just before leaving on my Iraqi vacation I got the P0628 code and a dead truck. I beat the lift pump with a screwdriver handle, wiggled the wiring, and managed to drive it to the storage garage. Now it looks like I'll be headed home in the next month or so, and I know I'm going to have to get the lift pump fixed.

Here is where I hit my problem: Chrysler will do the in-tank system under warranty, but I know the Air Dog will flow more fuel. The only additional upgrades I'm thinking about are a Smarty Jr and an exhaust. Do I really need the Air Dog? Is the extra filtration worth it? Will the stock pump not deliver enough fuel for the Smarty JR? I mean, $500 and my install time for the Air Dog versus letting Chrysler fix it for free also means I can get the Smarty now instead of waiting. What do y'all think?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't waste money on it, I can run smarty on #9 and don't loose fuel pressure untill late in 3rd gear. However when I ran quadzilla I lost fuel pressure early in 2nd gear (auto) If I stack them I have no fuel pressure...

My factory LP is 25K miles old. I think I'm just going to spend $125 on a holley black to splice in and be happy.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 AM

I personally dont like mine, I have the AD150. Yes it delivers the fuel better than stock and has a 2 mic filter, but mine is LOUD like annoying loud. I can hear it over the engine at idle and over my dual disk clutch chattering. Id get it fix for free and up a h2o/air seperater and 2 mic filter for a 130 bucks from GDP, and be done with it.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:00 AM

There must be something wrong with your AD, it should not be that noisy.
I can hear mine when the engine's not running, can't hear it at all when it is.

Adam, I think you'd be fine with the stock pump, I was good with the stocker till I put Crazy Larry on my BD, then my FP would drop to zero.

I would get a fuel pressure gauge though, at least you'll know what's going on, you could always get the dealer to do the stocker then go with an AD if you see your pressure dipping.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
There must be something wrong with your AD, it should not be that noisy.
I can hear mine when the engine's not running, can't hear it at all when it is.

Adam, I think you'd be fine with the stock pump, I was good with the stocker till I put Crazy Larry on my BD, then my FP would drop to zero.

I would get a fuel pressure gauge though, at least you'll know what's going on, you could always get the dealer to do the stocker then go with an AD if you see your pressure dipping.
There a lot of people w/ noisey AD's there is a thread on CompD about it now.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should be fine with the OE in tank and the Smarty Jr.. I have yet to see below 5 psi with mine, and thats with 2 additional filters in the system.

And you get the same filtration ratings with a baldwin PF7977 drop in filter, and much better F/W separation.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM

I'd let chrysler fix it for free now, you can always go to a better pump down the road. At least this will get you on the road for free.

Travis
Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 PM

What about the new BD pump. It suppose to be quiet and flow alot of fuel.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's much easier to go ahead and bite the bullet for a new aftermarket pump and filter now due to your fuel canister. If they change it out to the new pump if you ever deceide to upgrade you will have to put in a drawstraw or find an old fuel canister like you have now. The in tank LP does work O.K. though. Just keep your future in mind.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spooler
It's much easier to go ahead and bite the bullet for a new aftermarket pump and filter now due to your fuel canister. If they change it out to the new pump if you ever deceide to upgrade you will have to put in a drawstraw or find an old fuel canister like you have now. The in tank LP does work O.K. though. Just keep your future in mind.
That's my biggest concern. If I get the warranty pump done, it'll be more difficult to upgrade later. On the other hand, if I don't need the extra flow from an upgrade, going stock saves me money and works just as well. I'm not a big fan of pressure boxes, and the Smarty Jr is going to be enough power to get me in (more) trouble. I just wanted to verify from those that have minor upgrades if the in-tank pump can handle the extra demand from a Smarty. From what I see so far, I think I'm probably going to let Chrysler fix the problem and spend the money on a remote oil bypass (or maybe the Smarty will come first).
Old 02-06-2009, 12:44 AM

... problem is once you get the 'junior' you might get the bug and crave even more power, that means you'll need more fuel...

Tough decision, good luck.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Adaminak
That's my biggest concern. If I get the warranty pump done, it'll be more difficult to upgrade later. On the other hand, if I don't need the extra flow from an upgrade, going stock saves me money and works just as well. I'm not a big fan of pressure boxes, and the Smarty Jr is going to be enough power to get me in (more) trouble. I just wanted to verify from those that have minor upgrades if the in-tank pump can handle the extra demand from a Smarty. From what I see so far, I think I'm probably going to let Chrysler fix the problem and spend the money on a remote oil bypass (or maybe the Smarty will come first).
It's also not like its impossible or really expensive to put in that draw straw either, if you do decide you need more fuel down the road. A little more work and a little more money, I think I saw the straws going for what, $25?

Travis
Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Adaminak
Yes, it will work fine. I had no issues with the mods I have and the way I drive when I had the stock intank LP. I only upgraded cause it died too.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM

I have the AD 150 and i can barely hear it run without the engine running..
Old 02-06-2009, 05:13 PM

You shouldn't be able to hear the pump over a stock engine.

You have air entering the system, a clogged filter or a mounting issue. It's worth you time to look into the problem and fixing it. It's possible that the pump is damaged, but Pure Flow would take care of you if that were the case.

garrett

Quick Reply: Do I really need an Air Dog?