3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ditching the Smarty - need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
Why don't you guys just talk on the phone?

1. It would be done a lot faster.
2. You could post the results here and leave it at that.

This isn't making sense to me, going back and forth on a public forum.
I SECOND THIS MOTION... I have a SMARTY and have NO problems
Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
on another note today I had a guy buy a smarty for his 2006 ram that he bought off the dealer lot with right around 100 mile on the clock

He bought a smarty and received the unknown software code

Come to find out he bought the truck off the dealers lot with the brazilian code loaded into the ecm

someone must have either did a download from another co or a try before you know but the truck was a problem off the lot.

contact info provide for the non believers . that really is a miff

You know what, I've heard of this before. I talked with Bully once about this. The reason the Argentinian software came about was people were getting it installed at dealers and Unknown Software problems were happening on their boards. It seemed like it was the new calibration, so Bully upgraded a selection of their boards to accomodate the software. Later it was discovered it was for Argentina, and Bully Dog removed it. They haven't been putting that software on for at least a year now.

Seems like in the beginning some dealers were installing them, probably didn't realize they were doing it.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by TexMexCowboy
is the problem with the Smarty common? I am thinking of getting one, but if there is problems with them i wont.
Rule of thumb is if you have used alot of different downloaders like bully dog, predator, etc...and then go to the smarty some have had problems. But it was in isolated instances and most I read about were because the old DL left a bunch of crap on the ECM.

Which as you can see if there were any bob and marco are stand up and guys will usually be able to fix it or make it right.

But for every 1 problem ive seen with smarty's im sure ive read about 150 or more, other people who wouldnt trade it for anything. I wouldnt give it a second thought but some people have downloadafobia.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:19 PM

is the problem with the Smarty common? I am thinking of getting one, but if there is problems with them i wont.
Basically no, but once in a while there have been a few issues....search the forums on smarty...you wont find too many prob posts....but they do exsist....
Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 AM

Well i think I will get one but i need to save up for it. i have never used any kind of downloaders so I should be fine.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:56 AM

Well i think I will get one but i need to save up for it. i have never used any kind of downloaders so I should be fine.
I hadn't either....you'l love it, night and day difference...just use common sense and enjoy....
Old 07-03-2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
on another note today I had a guy buy a smarty for his 2006 ram that he bought off the dealer lot with right around 100 mile on the clock

He bought a smarty and received the unknown software code

Come to find out he bought the truck off the dealers lot with the brazilian code loaded into the ecm

someone must have either did a download from another co or a try before you know but the truck was a problem off the lot.

contact info provide for the non believers . that really is a miff
So what occurs to me is that maybe some dealers are loading software onto their test drive vehicles. Make 'em just a little more peppy for the test drives, then pull the software while its being "cleaned up".....
Just a thought.....
Old 07-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
Why don't you guys just talk on the phone?

1. It would be done a lot faster.
2. You could post the results here and leave it at that.

This isn't making sense to me, going back and forth on a public forum.

For some people, the info that is being passed around is very informative. It might look like a waste to you but there is knowledge too be had here by some.

I learned that there is Brazilian code. How's that end up here in America when the truck has never left our soil? I still don't know but I have not looked into it either. But I did learn something from this thread.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 AM

Actually, I did contact Bob when I first had problems. He was willing to help until I told him the truck had never been downloaded until the Smarty. He quit replying to me after that. I guess it did not fall into the normal excuse which is "Bully Dog messed it up, but we can fix it." I contacted him a total of three times before I posted it on the net. It was after starting this thread that he was willing to help (good for publicity??) He has tried to help, but they can not fix it, so now they blame it on other truck problems. They are now ignoring the fact that these problems began right after the Smarty download.

At first he blamed it on a bad competitors download, I told him it was never downloaded.
Then he blamed it on the junk 06 ECMs. I reminded him it was an 04.5
Then he blamed it on the oversized turbo, and it is not his problem. I reminded him the oversized turbo has been on for 25,000 miles and never had an issue with this problem until the Smarty download. After that he was done "helping" and told me it is a problem with the truck, not the Smartys fault.

I do believe the instances are few, but have seen it happen a on other members trucks. I have recieved several PM's from other members that have been dissatisfied with the help from Smarty and them (Smarty) trying to pass the blame elsewhere when something goes wrong.

When I get this truck running, the Smarty will be up for sale, but for now I use the Code clear feature ALOT!
Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you send the SMARTY back to Bob and have it functionally tested?

If the SMARTY is functioning normally and we already know the firmware is correct (does work on other trucks) so now it's to a hardware issue. Possibility that there is an issue with the ECM during programming. Could be a weak memory cell (or cells ) that is marginal when it comes to programming voltage and timing. May take multiple tries to program correctly. Also could be a issue with the SCI drivers in the ECM not properly passing on the information to the memory controller (makes me wonder if Cummins is using the CCD bus for programming at the factory).
Another is the SMARTY getting programmed correctly. Not sure if Marco is doing a checksum when programming the SMARTY from the computer and then when the SMARTY is programming the ECM.

Just remember, there's always a risk when upgrading firmware. No matter if its a computer, ECM, iPod, cell phone, router, etc.

MikeyB
Old 07-04-2007, 11:51 AM

Thank you for posting this. I know it is hard since this is a VERY pro Smarty board. I think it is important that we, as consumers, get to hear the good AND the bad about all products. No product is perfect, especially when they are produced by the hundreds or thousands. Smarty is a very popular downloader, it would not be that way if problems like this were common, but like I said, it is good to know that the possibility is out there.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by OR Mega Cab
Thank you for posting this. I know it is hard since this is a VERY pro Smarty board. I think it is important that we, as consumers, get to hear the good AND the bad about all products. No product is perfect, especially when they are produced by the hundreds or thousands. Smarty is a very popular downloader, it would not be that way if problems like this were common, but like I said, it is good to know that the possibility is out there.
This is VERY true, I was,am thinking about a smarty but may waite and see now. I am the type of person that may research a product for a month or more before I purchase. So for a few people I'm sure this has been a very informative thread. Just more of the quality info people get on DTR.