3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

commander or stand alone gages?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
commander or stand alone gages?

I cant decide. Im leaning towards the commander. Are there any draw backs to the commander verses the stand alone type?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:44 PM

I am also wanting to go for the Commander - $359.00.
Seems a better way to go - view more parameters, unless you want 7 guages.
I would like to know how difficult it would be to install the Commander,
anyone done this themselves?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:57 PM

I installed mine about a month ago. It only took about 2 hours to get it done. I took my time and made all the wiring look good, and also installed the tranny probe in the hot line of the tranny, not the test port. It is really easy to follow directions. I also installed the fuel option to it as well. I am still waiting to see what happens w/ quad and the fuel sending units. It is hit or miss with them reading correct. Great customer service as well. Highly recommend the Quad
Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by rodsram
I am also wanting to go for the Commander - $359.00.
Seems a better way to go - view more parameters, unless you want 7 guages.
I would like to know how difficult it would be to install the Commander,
anyone done this themselves?
Be sure you call to get your DTR member discount off that price
Old 11-14-2006, 05:31 PM

I like the Commander for the ability to store the high and low parameter values and the ability to defuel on whatever setting you decide is to high (1300+ egt). I personally like the analog gauges for "at a glance" readabilty.

Just pray you don't have to return the Commander for repairs though. I've been waiting over a month to get my screen issue resolved (early model problem).
Old 11-14-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vote would be for the X-Monitor or the Outlook Monitor over the Commander. I have all three and am sorry to say I actually liked the Commander the least out of the bunch.

I like the Outlook the best. Many more features, some useable and some eye candy. The X-Monitor comes in second in my book, but is the most reliable. I'm still using the same X-Monitor that I purchased many, many years ago and never a glitch with it. I have been through several Outlook Monitors over the years (warranty replacements).
Old 11-14-2006, 07:48 PM

I like the idea of the Commander being able to download upgrades online later on down the road.

I personally would like to have the ablity to toggle between a 3 and 4 parameter screen without having to reload what I want to view each time. A turbo timer would be nice too.

On a level playing field, I think the Commander has more potential due to the online upgrades...plus a HUGE screen.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by J Double
I like the idea of the Commander being able download upgrades online later on down the road.

I personally would like to have the ablity to toggle between a 3 and 4 parameter screen without having to reload what I want to view each time. A turbo timer would be nice too.

On a level playing field, I think the Commander has more potential due to the online upgrades...plus a HUGE screen.

i 2nd this.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:30 PM

Are the readings acurate with the commander?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:36 PM

To the best of my knowledge, yes. If you're wanting to read boost numbers over approx. 45 psi it's not going to help you there. Boost is measured at the MAP sensor which is measurable up to approx. 45 psi.

If you're leaning towards a Commander, I'd say go for it. A DTR discount plus being upgradeable later down the road is definately a bonus IMHO.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by stealman
Are the readings acurate with the commander?
i think they are, i dont know why it wouldnt be.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:58 PM

Do you have to install a typical egt probe in the manifold, ie drilling and tapping?
As far as the transmission, there is am OEM coolant tube available with a port in it for a sensor, will the Commander be able to make use of this - as it will really be accurate as it will be reading the "hot" line?
It sounds as though the rest is plug and play except for the fuel pressure.? ?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:28 PM

Best price so far $310.00 www.thoroughbreddiesel.com
(Have a lookat the price of the Diablo sport tuner)
Old 11-15-2006, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by J Double
I like the Commander for the ability to store the high and low parameter values and the ability to defuel on whatever setting you decide is to high (1300+ egt). I personally like the analog gauges for "at a glance" readabilty.

Just pray you don't have to return the Commander for repairs though. I've been waiting over a month to get my screen issue resolved (early model problem).
You need to call our tech guys ASAP if this is the issue. I went and checked and any and everything we have ever had is back out of here?? I am not sure why or how you do not have it back.

I would have them call you but I am not sure of your actual name or what it is under.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
You need to call our tech guys ASAP if this is the issue. I went and checked and any and everything we have ever had is back out of here?? I am not sure why or how you do not have it back.

I would have them call you but I am not sure of your actual name or what it is under.
This is another example of why I would personally go for a commander. The customer service is second to none. Great job qzilla.

Kevin

Quick Reply: commander or stand alone gages?