3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Commander questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Commander questions

I was thinking of going from analog gauges to a digital monitor. I need something that can control my Van Aaken and TS Ramifier. So I’ve been doing a little reading and noticed that the Commander can control the VA...not too sure about the TS. I checked their site and it says that the Commander will control the TST (same as TS?)

Also, how is the Commander upgradeable? If it’s a monitor, what is there to upgrade?

If the Commander does not control both the VA and TS, any other controlers that I should consider?

Thanks for any help
Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 PM

Chris,

About the only thing I can help you on is the upgrade question. Its the software thats upgradeable via a USB port. With new software comes the potential for more capability, more things that can potentially be monitored or controlled. I know that in the near future its supposed to have a turbo timer upgrade. I'm sure to do this we'll also have to purchase some sort of wiring harness, but it will be nice to have the timer without having to add more equipment to the dash of the truck. Also, if a software glitch is found (I haven't found one yet) a quick download and its fixed.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Chris,

About the only thing I can help you on is the upgrade question. Its the software thats upgradeable via a USB port. With new software comes the potential for more capability, more things that can potentially be monitored or controlled. I know that in the near future its supposed to have a turbo timer upgrade. I'm sure to do this we'll also have to purchase some sort of wiring harness, but it will be nice to have the timer without having to add more equipment to the dash of the truck. Also, if a software glitch is found (I haven't found one yet) a quick download and its fixed.
Ohhhh, ok. I was a little confused because I thought only modules/programmers could be upgraded.

If I knew without a doubt that the Commander could control my modules, I would buy one.

I just went for a quick run today with the VA on performance and the TS plugged in (one setting, 100hp). My EGT’s climbed so fast I had to let out of the throttle before I hit red-line in 5th gear! I need something that will de-fuel both modules.

The Quadzilla site said it could control a TST, but I don’t know if that’s the same as TS?

But thanks for the info! Out of all the monitors, the Commander seems to be the best.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:32 AM

In short, yes it will be able to control both of them. Now it is going to be just a little while before that happens but, it will be able to work. It will require a small wiring harness to hook up to the modules as well as another small piece of hardware if you wanted to do both.

Also just FYI on another site the TS guys recommended that no one use the monitor with their modules as De-fueling was not needed with their module. They said that de-fueling is only needed on a module that is not properly tuned.

You control the VA right now if you want to. The fastest way to do this is to buy a Commander from Van Aaken. OUr newest update is out but we are testing it and should release it in a day or two and it will also include the VA as an option.

Quad
Old 11-17-2006, 04:12 PM

Question

Originally Posted by qzilla
In short, yes it will be able to control both of them. Now it is going to be just a little while before that happens but, it will be able to work. It will require a small wiring harness to hook up to the modules as well as another small piece of hardware if you wanted to do both.

Also just FYI on another site the TS guys recommended that no one use the monitor with their modules as De-fueling was not needed with their module. They said that de-fueling is only needed on a module that is not properly tuned.

You control the VA right now if you want to. The fastest way to do this is to buy a Commander from Van Aaken. OUr newest update is out but we are testing it and should release it in a day or two and it will also include the VA as an option.

Quad
TS module does not need to be de-fueled? I would assume (I know I shouldn't) that anything that raises EGT's should be de-fueled. I don't know, I'm still learning.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. I'm not in a hurry for the Commander. Early next year is good for me. If I can’t control EGT’s I’ll get rid of the TS. I like the VA a lot more.

One more question: How much are these adapters or other necessary items I need to run both boxes (Or where can I find the prices?)