3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Catback or turbo back exhaust? Which brand? What do you have, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catback or turbo back exhaust? Which brand? What do you have, and why?

Looking at exhaust systems and with so much out there i have to ask the guys here that have already been there done that.

1. What exhaust do you have?
2. pros/cons to turbo-back cat-back exhaust systems
3. any general advice?

*I'm not too big on the idea of stacks either

thanks for the help.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:56 PM

MBRP is what I have. Was recomended to me by a friend. Went with the cat back system due to CT. having emissions check. No droning and not very loud. I'm happy with my choice.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on what your goal is. If you're hoping top get more power or better mileage, forget that. So then it becomes sound and looks. Especially the sound. Some people like loud and harsh, some people like soft and deep. You really need to listen to a few and see what you like. Otherwise it's a crap shoot.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Basically turbo back is louder and more expensive, but in theory it provides the least restrictive path for your exhaust. Most guys say the factory muffler is the only real restriction; some say they have dyno tested with and without the cat and it makes zero difference. Thats why I just replaced my muffler with an MBRP one and now its louder but not as annoying as a straight pipe. Plus its the cheapest way. But if you want bling you'll have to pay for it.
Good luck
Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 075point9
Basically turbo back is louder and more expensive, but in theory it provides the least restrictive path for your exhaust. Most guys say the factory muffler is the only real restriction; some say they have dyno tested with and without the cat and it makes zero difference. Thats why I just replaced my muffler with an MBRP one and now its louder but not as annoying as a straight pipe. Plus its the cheapest way. But if you want bling you'll have to pay for it.
Good luck
very valuable to me thank you.
My goal (and its going to takes years to get there) is high horsepower with daily drive-ability. I really dno't want anything loud and obnoxious i want something that sounds good but isn't annoying to take on long road trips. kinda why stacks are out of the question for me. plus i have dreams of blowing coal in some ricer's window that try to race everything around here. is that bad?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

I'll post up a video tomorrow on what an 06 with a stock engine, cat delete, and an Aero-turbine muffler sounds like.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
keep the stock exhaust and muffler. Install an electric bypass valve and a straight pipe. You can have your cake and eat it too.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:53 AM

just to be the devil advocate. By law if your truck came with a cat, then you cannot remove it ($10k) fine. (This doesnt matter if your state does or does not have emissions test) The cat is not restrictive at all. Ill post a picture of mine that i just took off because my exhaust brake split the seam. My opinion, do a cat back exhaust.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 AM

whats a CAT? I'd get a nice MBRP 4" turbo back, but thats just me... I just wanted a few modds to get better fuel milage and look were I ended up.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F1B3R
very valuable to me thank you.
My goal (and its going to takes years to get there) is high horsepower with daily drive-ability. I really dno't want anything loud and obnoxious i want something that sounds good but isn't annoying to take on long road trips. kinda why stacks are out of the question for me. plus i have dreams of blowing coal in some ricer's window that try to race everything around here. is that bad?
I don't know what year your truck is, but anything with the 4" exhaust has all the pipe you need up to about 450 hp. So if your goal is more than that horsepower, then you'll need to open the exhaust.

A pipe will not increase smoke. Fuel will do that.

If you want power on a stock truck, put a Smarty on it. Then fuel, then sticks, then turbo, then exhaust, then intake and headers, then driveline, (well the driveline may be toast long before now ) and so on... Look at Big Swole's truck for inspiration.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
I don't know what year your truck is, but anything with the 4" exhaust has all the pipe you need up to about 450 hp. So if your goal is more than that horsepower, then you'll need to open the exhaust.

A pipe will not increase smoke. Fuel will do that.

If you want power on a stock truck, put a Smarty on it. Then fuel, then sticks, then turbo, then exhaust, then intake and headers, then driveline, (well the driveline may be toast long before now ) and so on... Look at Big Swole's truck for inspiration.
I just wanted to add, besides the driveline..... Carrier bearings, and u joints, power kills those things! Traction/ladder bars will be a must later on or else you'll be doing those things mentioned above with every oil change! trust me.....
Old 08-06-2011, 09:54 AM

@lost lake
I was looking to go some where between 700-850 hp. haven't decided where to set my goal yet. BUT looking at my goal and end result I wanted to get a transmission for it first to support any power add ons later. I really don't want to be down with a broke transmission later on. (if i could prevent it. I understand even new trannys built for this can still break) My original thoughts on build plan were

1. Transmission/Exhaust
2. Fuel system
3. Smarty
4. turbos.
5. Brakes/suspension

and all support smaller stuff that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head inbetween.

but again I have a LOT to learn and everything is just in a planning stage.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 AM

700 to 850 HP 5" turbo back then...
Old 08-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are several guys on here that have that kind of power and I'm sure they'll offer some fantastic advice for you, saving you money and headaches along the way.
What does this kind of power cost? I would think $10K is reasonable....
Old 08-06-2011, 03:13 PM

John P is who you need to talk too

Quick Reply: Catback or turbo back exhaust? Which brand? What do you have, and why?