3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cant roast tires with edge

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant roast tires with edge

my truck stock could burn my tires while power braking if i splashed a small amount of water under the tires, just to get them going. Got my juice set it on level five and i couldnt even break the tires loose. I was rather dissapointed, i know 315's are a lot of meat to turn but if i could almost do it stock, then why wouldnt it do it with the highest setting? any thoughts? other than that i love my edge, better fuel, tons more pep and good smoke
Old 08-31-2005, 10:56 PM

Are you power braking? You should have plenty of power to sqawk the tires. I know of a truck with 315's and a edge that can get tire spin when the boosts hits in thrid gear. This particular truck has a 6 speed, but I would hope that the auto doesn't waste that much energy, that you can't even get the tires to spin from a standstill.

Something doesn't seem right

Carl
Old 08-31-2005, 11:14 PM

My guess... a combination of torque management and too much fuel and not enough air (turbo).

Aloha
Old 08-31-2005, 11:32 PM

with my bd on 90hp if im not careful i can cook them for a long time with no powerbrake
Old 09-01-2005, 12:38 AM

I think the torque convertor is a big piece of it. The autos are hard to power brake with the stock gear. It's been said before but it's true... building the tranny on an auto is like adding another box, with bombs the difference is huge.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:28 AM

I agree w/ Mudslinger on the torque converter theory. My lowly SO couldn't turn the tires over w/ the EZ on level 5 until I got my DTT converter.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:53 AM
Tire Hater

I can lite my 37's into 2ndgear lockup without a problem?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by John Rodriguez
I can lite my 37's into 2ndgear lockup without a problem?
yea John, but we know you would never make that a habit
Old 09-01-2005, 08:25 AM

I couldn't spin my tires either even with my Quad race box set on 130 until I did the tone ring mod. I picked up huge low end power and can now spin them until torque mangement kicks in at the second gear shift.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Maybe I'm different (Ok I am,....but my Psychiatrist is still working on that)
But I prefer not to "Roast" my tires.
Spinning is a loss of traction, and gets expen$ive in the long run.
I'd rather Hook-Up and be gone, leaving the other guy in Diesel smoke instead of tire smoke.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shovelhead, I'm glad you said something, because for a minute, I was starting to think that I was the only one without trees that grew money in my front yard I'm not really too interested in dropping $350/tire and then just melting them away in a juvenile act of machismo. One of the funniest things I've read yet on this board was the original poster djcheez saying that he actually intentionally splashed water near his tires to get them to spin.... Ahh that might have made sense to me when I was 16...never know
Old 09-01-2005, 11:13 AM

Well, I won't do it now that i have new tires but when my last set had gotten a little low on tread I had to try it..... Of course I did try it right after the new converter was installed too but honestly that's it. I agree that I don't want to make these tires wear any faster than I have to.....
Old 09-01-2005, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by cschulz
I couldn't spin my tires either even with my Quad race box set on 130 until I did the tone ring mod. I picked up huge low end power and can now spin them until torque mangement kicks in at the second gear shift.
what is this tone ring mod you speak of???
Old 09-01-2005, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by king d
what is this tone ring mod you speak of???
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=71543

read this thread.

basically a give you timiming advance. you can modify the slot on your tone ring or order a modified sensor. Depending on your mechanical aptitue and or wallet size you can pick the approach you like.

the tone ring give you more adjustment potential and is free. the sensor gives you 2dergrees and costs like $70. from what I have gathered 2-3 degree's seems to be optimum although trucks can vary I suppose.

Quick Reply: cant roast tires with edge