3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Boost #'s with Commander????

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost #'s with Commander????

Ok as most of you know I got my new Turbo and Trans installed this weekend, and my commander doesnt appear to be reading the boost numbers as accurately as before. The turbo is wategated at 40psi from HTT I believe, and it shows that its reading 44psi max on my commander when I check the data logging?

You know why this might be guys?

Also, isnt there a kit/adapter for the commander to add that will read higher than the 44psi? Also, is the kit more accurate than reading at the map sensor or wherever it reads from in a stock commander?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by BossHogg
Ok as most of you know I got my new Turbo and Trans installed this weekend, and my commander doesnt appear to be reading the boost numbers as accurately as before. The turbo is wategated at 40psi from HTT I believe, and it shows that its reading 44psi max on my commander when I check the data logging?

You know why this might be guys?

Also, isnt there a kit/adapter for the commander to add that will read higher than the 44psi? Also, is the kit more accurate than reading at the map sensor or wherever it reads from in a stock commander?
Truthfully, you're probably making more than 44 PSI of boost with your fueling mods. The MAP sensor won't read past 44 PSI.

I have the adapter and yes it is more accurate and will read higher pressures than the MAP sensor. It reads true boost numbers directly from the intake manifold.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Justice4all
I have the adapter and yes it is more accurate and will read higher pressures than the MAP sensor. It reads true boost numbers directly from the intake manifold.
I would like more info on this...I was under the impression that you could only use the commander on the stock MAP sensor for boost..witch could be a bummer for the commander guys with higher boost trucks...if there is a way to make my commander read higher boost numbers please fill us/me in...I was thinking I would have to buy a mech boost gauge...also how high of boost can it read with the adapter??
Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM

also

BUT....my turbo is wategated at 40psi, so why would it read 44psi?

Also...it doesnt seem to read the off idle boost numbers. It reads zero when barely touching the peddle where before It would say 1-4psi or so...you know what I mean? Basically it doesnt seem to be reading very accurately..

Im wondering if its able to read aftermarket turbo boost numbers?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I would like more info on this...I was under the impression that you could only use the commander on the stock MAP sensor for boost..witch could be a bummer for the commander guys with higher boost trucks...if there is a way to make my commander read higher boost numbers please fill us/me in...I was thinking I would have to buy a mech boost gauge...also how high of boost can it read with the adapter??
Quad, has an adapter available that connects to the Commander boost lead and into the intake manifold via boost bolt. It collects and sends true boost info and reads out on the Commander. I have one and it works well. I regularly see 50+ PSI with my turbo.

I'm not sure about the availabilty of the adapter, you might have to contact them to get it. That's what I had to do.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Justice4all
Quad, has an adapter available that connects to the Commander boost lead and into the intake manifold via boost bolt. It collects and sends true boost info and reads out on the Commander. I have one and it works well. I regularly see 50+ PSI with my turbo.

I'm not sure about the availabilty of the adapter, you might have to contact them to get it. That's what I had to do.
thanks man I will do that
Old 03-31-2008, 01:17 PM

BUT....my turbo is wategated at 40psi, so why would it read 44psi?

Also...it doesnt seem to read the off idle boost numbers. It reads zero when barely touching the peddle where before It would say 1-4psi or so...you know what I mean? Basically it doesnt seem to be reading very accurately..

Im wondering if its able to read aftermarket turbo boost numbers?
40 PSI is an HTT estimation. It could actually be making 48 PSI and the MAP sensor just isn't reading high enough. You definitely have enough fuel to drive that turbo to 48.

The 1-4 PSI thing is the difference in lag. Basically, your new turbo starts building boost at a little higher RPM than the stock turbo did. The MAP sensors are pretty accurate up to around 40 PSI no matter what turbo you are using. It just doesn't read high enough for the pressure you are making.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM

....but if I were making 48psi, wouldn't my stock head studs allowed my head gasket to blow?

The boost gauge that your talking about, do you have to tap the intake manifold to get it to work and to install the boost bolt?

Plus I have the Commander set at 43psi max...for some reason its recording the max at 44psi. Maybe the battery was disconnected at some point and I didn't realize. We'll see.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 PM

....but if I were making 48psi, wouldn't my stock head studs allowed my head gasket to blow?

The boost gauge that your talking about, do you have to tap the intake manifold to get it to work and to install the boost bolt?

Plus I have the Commander set at 43psi max...for some reason its recording the max at 44psi. Maybe the battery was disconnected at some point and I didn't realize. We'll see.
You shouldn't have to do any tapping to get it to work. You just remove one of the bolts in the head and replace it with a boost bolt. Not sure if you are familiar with it, but it's just a replacement bolt that has a small hole through the center permitting it to get a boost signal. It works great. Like everyone else said, even though the wategate is set at 40 from HTT, I would be willing to bet that it is higher. Your head gasket wouldn't have necessarily blown at 44 psi or more. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I wouldn't run it real hard though until you for sure know the correct psi. The external adapter/sendor from Quad is probably just what the doctor ordered.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 PM

Your HG is most likely fine at 48 PSI. Actually, your HG will be healthier at 48 PSI with your new turbo than it was at 43 PSI running the stocker because of reduced drive pressure.

Just because your Commander is set to defuel at 43 PSI doesn't mean you will max out at 43 PSI. It just means that it will turn the module it commands down 1 or 2 power levels to get it within acceptable numbers, however it has no control over the Smarty fueling.

For instance you are just running the Quad box on level 3 without the Smarty and set the Commander to defuel at 43 PSI. When you exceed 43 PSI it alerts you and it automatically turns the Quad box down from level 3 to level 2 or 1 until the boost numbers are within the range you specified.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 PM

Ahhh...I see. So what lvl are you running your smarty/quad on?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:05 AM

I usually run the Smarty on either SW 7 or 9 depending on the programming. When I want a little extra kick I turn the X2 up to level 4. I generally don't daily drive with added pressure.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM

My boost stops at 32 with the commander. If I dont get the fuel, and boost problems fixed mine will be for sale soon.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:53 PM

Does anybody have a part number for the analog boost adapter? I have tried to speak with Quad reps on the phone and tried PM'ing Quad here but I have not had success. Not being able to read high boost is the only thing stopping me from getting the unit, pillar mount and FP kit, but they don't seem interested enough to take my money...
Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by mudslinger
Does anybody have a part number for the analog boost adapter? I have tried to speak with Quad reps on the phone and tried PM'ing Quad here but I have not had success. Not being able to read high boost is the only thing stopping me from getting the unit, pillar mount and FP kit, but they don't seem interested enough to take my money...
I don't have a part number, but I know they make them and they work really well.

Quick Reply: Boost #'s with Commander????