3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blown headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown headgasket?

My truck has been making a constant gray haze, not white, for a few months now at idle and under normal cruising conditions. I thought that it may be an injector, but I had them tested at the dealer and they tested fine. There are no drivability problems at all. The engine sounds fine, and builds boost fine. The antifreeze looks clean, and the oil level is right at the safe mark, but I did notice that the antifeeze overflow is a bit low. I am almost positive when hot the level was at full, now maybe it's down 1 1/2". I am going to do an oil analysis within a few weeks to check for coolant in the oil. Can a headgasket be leaking with no visible signs, like no internal or external leaks? Like I said, there could be coolant in the oil that's why I'm going to test the oil, but other than that everything seems fine. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Banned

The overflow tank is probably just low because coolant can splash out of the vent tube sometimes. I think a coolant and oil analysis would tell if it was the HG.

FWIW mine was hazing gray smoke at idle and while cruising with the stock injectors for a couple months before they finally started causing rough idle and white smoke. Sometimes the dealer scan tools won't pick up a bad injector with the kill test. It sounds more like an injector issue than a HG to me.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:53 PM

you can have a hg blown with no signs. I blow mine and there were no signs at all what was happening was it was blowing cylinder pressure in to the coolent system and at high boost it would slam coolent against the radiator cap it was crazy.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Sometimes the dealer scan tools won't pick up a bad injector with the kill test.
I'm pretty sure they checked return flow too. Everything was at the high end of the acceptible range.

I want to fix this problem, I just wish that what ever the problem is, it would just show it's ugly head.

I know a headgasket repair , I already have the ARP's, would be less expensive than 6 new injectors.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big P
I'm pretty sure they checked return flow too. Everything was at the high end of the acceptible range.

I want to fix this problem, I just wish that what ever the problem is, it would just show it's ugly head.

I know a headgasket repair , I already have the ARP's, would be less expensive than 6 new injectors.
The scan tool tests won't show bad injectors 100% of the time. I've read posts from people who's sticks have tested OK at the dealer, but they still had problems with them.

Don M at F1 can fix whatever may be wrong with your sticks for a lot less than what it costs to buy new ones...and you get added HP on top of it!