3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Black Chrome Treatment ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:36 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Chrome Treatment ??

Does anyone here know about black chrome treatments? I smacked a deer on Monday and it tore up my front end. I am working on replacing my hood with a SRT-10 hood and I wanted to get a chrome grille and have it smoked looking. One guy told me about a spray on treatment for the chrome but I always thought paint doesnt stick on chrome, its too smooth to adhere to. There is very limited info on the net about the black chrome treatments and I dont even know if they can do it to plastic. I just think that would look real sharp on my white truck, a black chrome grille.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Chapter President

When I had stacks on my truck I tried for months to find someone to black chrome them but i took them off and never looked back. Check with some custom motorcycle shops and see if they can point you in the right direction.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:28 PM

I always heard they couldnt black chrome here in the states due to the environmental stuff..

I had my rims on my old magnum powder coated with a black but the used some kind of tansparent stuff.. It had a blackish chrome look..
Old 05-28-2008, 12:01 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Here is one place that I have found. It says on their site that they do plastic chrome and they do black chrome. I sent them a pic of a Dodge grille and asked for a price to get it done.
http://www.4chrome.com/ChromeColors.htm
If you scroll all the way to the bottom there is a pic of a wheel done and it looks awesome. If I could get a grille to look like that I would be very happy.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:01 AM
Banned

regular ol' black > black chrome
Old 05-28-2008, 11:32 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Gary, I agree.... to an extent. I have a flat black grille now and it looks really tough with the truck being white. The SRT-10 hood is going to change the looks of it and I dont think the plain black grille will look right.

What about a gloss / semi-gloss black grille? I dont think I have ever noticed one on the front of a CTD before
Old 05-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned

I used Krylon Fusion semi-gloss on my front grill... truck originally had a chrome grill. I picked up an ST grill that was faded to a lovely gray (yuck)

I cleaned it really well and then wiped it down with Acetone and shot it w/ the Fusion paint. It looks really sharp, and it's held up very well to the road... had some love-bugs stuck to it for over a week, and they're pretty good at hurting paint, etc. Powerwashed them right off, and the finish held up great.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:07 PM

If you have the $$$ then skip the Fusion because even though it doesnt flake off it still look's rattle canned.

They have been black chroming plastic emblems for 10+ years now. It should look really nice, and there is a HUGE difference between spray paint black and black chrome.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

definately... my point is that I'd rather have the grill professionally painted black vs. black chrome.

the only way I like black chrome is if EVERYTHING chrome on the truck is done in black chrome
Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 PM

Maybe this thread from Cayuse66 thread will help you out.........

Lots of good pics and looks well done!!!!!!!

Like this???????????????
Old 05-28-2008, 04:02 PM

Hey Matego... your definitely stealing my idea!! lol and your exactly right, very difficult finding places to get it done or that sell it... awesome look, thats for sure!

-Jared
Old 05-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PEAKSTRYDE
Maybe this thread from Cayuse66 thread will help you out.........

Lots of good pics and looks well done!!!!!!!

Like this???????????????
looks like a work in progress (aren't they all?) it's missing the mark untill the bumpers and exhaust match the grill/wheels/emblems

not a dis, I'm in the same boat... my poor truck is waiting for black bumpers and then I'll finally be rid of all the chrome!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Theres a guy down the road that sprays some treatment on chrome or polished aluminum wheels and makes them look like black chrome. I know very little about this and I plan on stopping by his shop and getting a edumication. he seems to think it will work fine on the grille and said the only issue may be stone chips. I was thinking about getting a Ebay grille and having him do it. The Dodge grille is mucho expensive and I hate to use it for a guinea pig.

On a side note, anyone here run into issues with the check being made out to me and the bank? The loan guy at my bank said they prefer I take it to an approved body shop. I told him I prefer to do the work myself so I know its done right. I have seen way too much shady work and cut corners by flat rate shops. Now they want me to buy all the parts and show them the stuff is done before they will release the money to me. I can swing it but I never ran into a problem like this before.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Banned

well, I'll say that my ghetto Fusion rattle can job has held up great to road wear/rock chips/etc.

don't get an ebay grill... been there/done that. they just don't fit like OEM
Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 AM

Wow this thread is great. Rattle can? Love Bugs? Ghetto?....I love all those things. Ok but seriously this aint a train car or a subway wall, lets save the rattle can for vandalism and mind altering.

I bought an el cheapo grille after I smacked a deer and it dont fit perfect but then again if your gonna spray paint it..................

Quick Reply: Black Chrome Treatment ??