3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best over all turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My goals are similar to yours, I'd like to have 600+ down the road. But couldn't afford it at the time to do twins first, so I just got what's in my sig to get me to 500hp for now and down the road the 62/71-13ss will go great for twins. Towing is manageable, spoolup is decent and top end is great. I would consider this or agree on the 64/65-13ss for now, trust me you don't want alot of lag.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 62-71-13 is a great turbo for 550 driving, towing is too much to ask from it. I turn my tnt on #1 (roughly 450-470 hp) for towing 16k and it keeps it under 1400. If I could do it again I would get a 64-71-13 or look further into the garrett turbos. I have no experience with them but it sounds like it may be worth checking out.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a HTT 62/71/13ss and I didn't care for it at first towing. You have to tune the truck for it and it works very well. I do have a little bit of lag with an auto down low but all I have to do is change my tune with the Smarty and it is very good. Another thing, Before with my stock charger I felt like my truck was falling on it's face towing down the interstate. Not with this one, It tows excellent and has plenty more at 70 MPH. I can flat out cook down the insterstate if I want to. Never had that ability before.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:07 PM

It tows great when I cut the power back to about 450-470hp but what I was trying to say was that It gets hot towing at the 550 hp level for me. I think the spool is fast and If I didn't want to tow with 500+ then I would buy it again.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The difference between us is you have 3 flow injectors, I don't. I have stock injectors with less heat. I tow on Smarty level 7, TM2, Timing 3. No issues getting hot. Are your EGT's hot or water temp hot? Most folks have stated that they have trouble keeping the water temp in check towing at over 500 HP. I just don't us all I've got when I tow. No need too.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 PM

Anyone have anymore input on the Silver64?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:47 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hintz

Are you talking about a s471, s474, or the s475 all are used as a base s400 by different companies.
the 471....
Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hintz
I agree.

Hey Soulezoo, is there any turbo between the 3788r and the 4094r?
Yes, the 4088.

But the 3788 was derived from the 4088 and using a different turbine and EH. They flow the same air, but have a different map. the 3788 has snap your neck spool, the 4088 is smoother and slightly slower. The 3788 has really only two EH choices, the 4088 has four, but really only the smaller two are useful and all are non wastegated. So to wastegate, a custom 3788 EH is used. blah, blah, blah...

These are really great turbos; problem is the cost of them for the bigger turbos are prohibitive. You can get a s400 variant modded to the hilt at 1/2 the cost of a gt47. But the smaller turbos are now competitive in price. There is just not a lot of experience and therefore knowledge with them in the performance diesel world. I've been really lucky to learn a lot about them and playing with a number of variations over the past year. I owe thanks for that first to Piers to getting me in with them, then Harry at Peak supporting me with them and Tom at turbo resource doing the work and mods.

You really have to experience these first hand to understand why I get excited with them. It is very much about having the airflow of a much bigger turbo with the spool of a much smaller turbo in one package. Then you always have four exhaust housings to choose from to tailor your individual characteristics to the performance. Although that still always comes down to a choice of spool vs flow.

I'll use this comparison to help explain for twins though. Everyone should be familiar with BD tow twins... spool super fast but supports only about 575hp tops. This is well documented. Then their r700 twins. Supports 700+hp, still reasonable spool, you can tow with them and a nice bit of air. BD did a really good job developing these.

My older set of BB twins, which was basically a 3788r stage 3 over a 4208 hybrid, did the 708hp listed in my sig yet spools a fair amount faster than the BD tow twins. A buddy has a similar setup to mine fueling wise with the tow twins so it is a good comparison. Bottom line is this... every setup, whether single or twins gives you a certain sized window of efficient operation. The Ball Bearing turbos, (Garrett or Turbonetics), just gives you a bigger window to play in.

Hope that helps...
Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 AM

thanks for updating us on the garretts. i'm looking forward to upgrading in the near future and your info will help make my..and hopefully others on here.. decision process less painful.
thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Were do i go to find the MPI twin kit using the stocker. Does any one have pics of this setup and what kinda boost i would be getting.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:56 PM

I'd really like to find out more about the compound garrett setup. I read the writeup in the TDR and it really seems like the ideal setup for what I am planning (550 to 600 hp and still be able to tow without egt issues). Where would be the best place to hit information overload?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:08 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mister M
I'd really like to find out more about the compound garrett setup. I read the writeup in the TDR and it really seems like the ideal setup for what I am planning (550 to 600 hp and still be able to tow without egt issues). Where would be the best place to hit information overload?
PM me for information regarding these sets. The one you read about in TDR was the first set made, I got the second and doing the R&D for different combos at higher HP. In any case, you are correct; for your target power level, the "TDR" set is ideal.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
PM me for information regarding these sets. The one you read about in TDR was the first set made, I got the second and doing the R&D for different combos at higher HP. In any case, you are correct; for your target power level, the "TDR" set is ideal.
For those of us that are slackers and let our TDR go out...what was the just of the TDR Article? What issue of TDR?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by diezel nutz
Were do i go to find the MPI twin kit using the stocker. Does any one have pics of this setup and what kinda boost i would be getting.

http://www.maximizedperformanceinc.com/

Nathan Wright AKA IdahoCTD

I would give him a shout, he will have all the pics and info you need.

Definately a first class guy to deal with, impeccable fit and finish on his setup, and the performance is amazing.

Nathan has done his homework on chargers, balancing drive pressure VS boost. You will not find a set that will run cooler EGT's at a given HP level than his.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by jgiachino
For those of us that are slackers and let our TDR go out...what was the just of the TDR Article? What issue of TDR?
This was the Sept 08 issue of TDR. The article was written by Scott Dalgleish. It featured the "tow" version of watercooled ball bearing twins put together by Piers Harry. It was basically a stage 3 gt3788r over gt4202r. These had custom EH's for it. The test truck had a PDR towing cam and a Banks six-gun tuner w/PDA... (yeah you read it right, although it had some Banks in house program to it so it wouldn't defuel when he put the key in the ignition) 90hp DDP stix, and made about (I am guessing from memory here) 675-680hp. Anyway, the gist of the article was that it ran like a raped ape (it really did) with low egts. This setup spooled faster than any other set of twins out there by a fair margin. I likened the spool to my old stock HE341 (yeah the older, smaller turbo) when I first put Smarty Beta 4.2 on sw9 with it. It just spooled stupid fast... Even with my set that I ran previously to the one I have now, which had a larger primary, I could be cruising down the road at say 65-70 mph, which is between 1800-1900 rpm for me, showing between 5-7 psi in boost, punch the throttle and be at full boost (say 60-65 psi) in 2 seconds or slightly less. That is no joke my friends. Even my larger set I have in the truck now spools faster and has a lot better driving manners and tows better than my old PDR tow twins, hx35 hybrid over bht3b.

Quick Reply: Best over all turbo