3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best over all turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the garret stage 3 especially with the exhaust side mod? Spool is good and supports 550hp.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
Yes it is... it flows the same air as a silver bullet or super B special. I am running one currently as the secondary on my twins. I am running a large .99 A/R (translates to about 17cm) and yes the BB does make that big a difference. Even with the large EH and in a twin setup (where the secondary can be expected to spool a little slower than if it were used as a single) the spool is remarkably close to that of a stock HE351... maybe a tad faster. There is no wondering about whether I can tow with it or not... it tows like a dream.
Wheres a good source for info and maybe purchasing the ball bearing Garretts? I checked out Garretts website, VERY slim on the diesel side.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:55 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The spool on that is awesomely fast, but flat runs out of air at that 550 mark... the OP was talking 550-600hp.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07
Wheres a good source for info and maybe purchasing the ball bearing Garretts? I checked out Garretts website, VERY slim on the diesel side.
Most of the diesel apps are done simply by modifying the EH for the desired clamp (like hx40 outlet or whatever) and using the standard compressors and turbines.

I've been going through Peak Diesel Performance.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 PM

would the 4094gt be laggy or even surge at elevation? I know it will support 600hp but how will it tow. Im paying close attention to this one because I'm about ready to buy a turbo and would like to stick to a single if I could. NOt trying to hyjack
Old 02-10-2009, 01:38 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

It is not laggy at all and no surge at elevation... it tows better than my old hx35/3b setup at lower (less than 450) hp levels. With the larger EH it is surprisingly smooth.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by diezel nutz
Wow thanks for all the info. I do want to hit a couple dynos. Maybe some 1/4s. Mainlly just a daily driver, that i can rip around with, and if i pull up next to a choke or a dirty, so be it. Something i could win a couple here and there with. But ya mainly daily driver. But thanks again for all the info.

For what you are looking for, I would probably just Twin over the stocker.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Yes it is... it flows the same air as a silver bullet or super B special. I am running one currently as the secondary on my twins. I am running a large .99 A/R (translates to about 17cm) and yes the BB does make that big a difference. Even with the large EH and in a twin setup (where the secondary can be expected to spool a little slower than if it were used as a single) the spool is remarkably close to that of a stock HE351... maybe a tad faster. There is no wondering about whether I can tow with it or not... it tows like a dream.
Not to get off track, but the Silver Bullet flows quite a bit more than the Super B special, theyre really not in the same league. I would think the 4094r would severly out flow the Super B special, but be closer to Silver Bullet (still flowing more)
Old 02-10-2009, 04:28 PM

the bullet is a good charger if you need a bullet that being said you dont need a bullet for a tow truck or something you only want 500 hp the great thing about the bullet is it leaves so much room for you to grow into if your a hp freak and think you might turn into one then its a great charger.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hintz
Not to get off track, but the Silver Bullet flows quite a bit more than the Super B special, theyre really not in the same league. I would think the 4094r would severly out flow the Super B special, but be closer to Silver Bullet (still flowing more)
While the wheel construction on all of them differ greatly (66mm inducer on the bullet, 64mm, I believe on the super B special, and 94mm inducer on the 4094), the maps are all at 80lbs/min. Actually, I have not seen a map on the super B special, but the BD rep stated in another forum that it pushed 80 lbs/min. So I take him at his word. The bullet is more attractive for the big HP due to its unique construction and large turbine to flow more exhaust... even if it is putting out the same air from the compressor side.

I agree with the premise you rate the turbos in order in terms of HP support. the special is only rated to 525hp... in comparison, the stage 3 gt3788r is said to support 550 hp, yet only flows 70 lbs/min... the regular super B is a 57mm inducer, flows only 61 lbs/min, yet is considered an upgrade over the stock HE351 with 60mm inducer that flows 67 lbs/min; personally, I still don't get that one.

I was only speaking to lbs/min of air which is only one part of the equation of HP support. The turbine wheel and design and EH size and design are all important too. Again, I do agree the bullet is in another league from the special... very close on the 4094.

Not everyone can pull a "Morkable" and blow up a bullet at 900+hp... of course he did use a tad bit of nitrous...
Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

One last thing... in comparison, a base s400 flows 93lbs/min. A gt4202r does 92lbs/min.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM

While the wheel construction on all of them differ greatly (66mm inducer on the bullet, 64mm, I believe on the super B special, and 94mm inducer on the 4094), the maps are all at 80lbs/min. Actually, I have not seen a map on the super B special, but the BD rep stated in another forum that it pushed 80 lbs/min. So I take him at his word. The bullet is more attractive for the big HP due to its unique construction and large turbine to flow more exhaust... even if it is putting out the same air from the compressor side.

I agree with the premise you rate the turbos in order in terms of HP support. the special is only rated to 525hp... in comparison, the stage 3 gt3788r is said to support 550 hp, yet only flows 70 lbs/min... the regular super B is a 57mm inducer, flows only 61 lbs/min, yet is considered an upgrade over the stock HE351 with 60mm inducer that flows 67 lbs/min; personally, I still don't get that one.
I was only speaking to lbs/min of air which is only one part of the equation of HP support. The turbine wheel and design and EH size and design are all important too. Again, I do agree the bullet is in another league from the special... very close on the 4094.

Not everyone can pull a "Morkable" and blow up a bullet at 900+hp... of course he did use a tad bit of nitrous...
10-4, also with the Super B special Ive never heard of anybody making 700hp as a single no2 or not (not saying some hasnt, just havent heard it), but I know someone has made a 1000+hp (with no2) with the silverbullet (but like you said it was Morkable and he blew that thing apart).
Your right Ive never figured that out either, the only benefit I can see is lower drive pressure, but thats it
One last thing... in comparison, a base s400 flows 93lbs/min. A gt4202r does 92lbs/min.
Are you talking about a s471, s474, or the s475 all are used as a base s400 by different companies.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:45 PM

Seen it, it was pretty loud!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:04 PM

If anyone has a Pic of the 4094r installed on a 3rd gen please post pics!
For some reason that turbo has always kinda had my eye!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bswope
If anyone has a Pic of the 4094r installed on a 3rd gen please post pics!
For some reason that turbo has always kinda had my eye!
I agree.

Hey Soulezoo, is there any turbo between the 3788r and the 4094r?

Quick Reply: Best over all turbo