3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BD 1030348 48RE Tranny Controller

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD 1030348 48RE Tranny Controller

The other day I spoke with Denise and Craig up at Goerend Transmission in IA about TC, VB and tranny prices. Craig recommended the BD Controller and mentioned that they install them in their units. I have not installed my Transgo shift kit mainly because if I ever do get up to Goerend for a TC/VB or tranny the installation of the shift kit will render my valve body useless as a core. At least that is what I remember of our conversation last year.

So I ordered the controller and installed it yesterday. Today I took it on it's first test drive and all I can say is HOLY CRAP!

My 48RE always shifted way too soon...well that doesn't happen any more. It now winds up past 2,000 rpm before it hits 2nd and when it does you know it. This is just what I was looking for.

The controller **** has 4 settings: 0 (off), 1, 2 and 3 where 3 is the highest on the performance scale. Honestly I have not had time enough to test each setting but even 0, which is supposed to be "Off" doesn't feel like 'Off"...which is fine with me...if I want it Off I'll unplug and remove the module. They all feel pretty robust to me. No more early shifting...the R's wind up nicely. The TC doesn't feel like it is slipping as much. The shifts are much firmer...a bunch. It actually feels like the shift kit is already installed. WOT shifts are not harsh. I believe the controller is designed to increase line pressure and raise shift points at less that WOT. If that is the case, they designed it perfectly. I recommend this controller to anyone wanting a tranny performance boost.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Anyone else sell this controller or one like it? I don't think I can support BD...
Old 03-01-2012, 03:51 PM

ATS sells the Co-pilot...they run around $550.00. "Can't support BD" ?

Can you elaborate? Something I don't know about?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
skydiver41,

I believe the following link demonstrates the reason why I will refrain from supporting BD. There is also another regarding an issue with a turbo around the same timeframe that did not make me want to change my mind.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...light=WARRANTY
Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 PM

Wow...I had no idea all that had happened...I do now. I bought the controller without quesition on the recommendation of the folks at Goerend.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 PM

Yup. Those would be my two reasons as well. The intercooler just blows my mind though. That's just blatant disregard for the customer. There's no excuse to not fix that. It's CLEARLY a defect in manufacturing. They just want to weasle out of it plain and simple. I can't get behind that.

$550 is a little rich compared to the $350 for the BD version. Hmmm...
Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
If anything were to happen with the controller, I'd see what the chances are that Goerend could help you out with a return or exchange since it was a recommendation of theirs. Just my opinion. I was going to make a comment about BD but didn't want to steer the thread off-topic. Of course, if you're curious, my comments about BD can be found in both of the aforementioned threads .
Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 PM

It's not really off thread if he asked. It is HIS thread afterall.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 AM

no worries...I appreciate the info. I have been away from wrenching on my truck for a year or so and have been away from the game. Keeping up on current events...knowing which vendors you can count on to stand behind their products in reasonable situations, even if the warranty has technically expired, is important to know. I appreciate the heads up.

I just wanted to share with everyone how much I like the way my tranny shifts after adding this controller. I'm still on the fence on whether or not I should install the Transgo shift kit I've got or just leave it the way it is.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 AM

P1749 Code

one thing I forgot to mention is that after installation truck threw a P1749 code...Transmission Throttle Valve Position Sensor Circuit Low. I will contact BD Tech support and see what they have to say.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 PM

That happened on mine too, once i got it plugged in all the way (took all my might, really tight fit) it shifted like i normal, meaning crappy. What came of yours?