3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery relocation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery relocation

I will be moving my battery to the back box.
Anyone that has done this, what size wire.
What did you do with with smaller wires on post,
splice or run separate wires.
Does anyone know the # for QSB 480 marine pistons.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'v not done this particular job. But, a long run with high amps should be done with 0 or 00 battery cable. Use battery cable, and nothing else. You can buy it in bulk from a lot of places. But I buy my wiring supplies at WaytekWire.com

I use crimped and soldered connecters, with heavy duty wrap.

I bet they also have the terminals you're looking for, too. If not, check with one of the on line marine supply stores.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I moved my right batt to the frame behind the cab a few yrs ago (so I could build the ultimate air filter) and used 2/0 and soldered ends. That right battery is sure doing better than the left one under the hood - the left one is gassing and corroding badly and the right one is clean as can be! Don't do away with any grounds. I just built a rear mount for an Optima on the left side but haven't had time to do the right one yet or make the left Optima cables. I ran the right pos. cable directly to the starter and it made an improvement in the cranking - instead of going thru the left batt. I will do that with the left batt and refeed all the accesories, problably with the old left pos. cable if it's copper so I can solder on the ends on, I want. Craig
Old 04-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by C Schomer
I moved my right batt to the frame behind the cab a few yrs ago (so I could build the ultimate air filter) and used 2/0 and soldered ends. That right battery is sure doing better than the left one under the hood - the left one is gassing and corroding badly and the right one is clean as can be! Don't do away with any grounds. I just built a rear mount for an Optima on the left side but haven't had time to do the right one yet or make the left Optima cables. I ran the right pos. cable directly to the starter and it made an improvement in the cranking - instead of going thru the left batt. I will do that with the left batt and refeed all the accesories, problably with the old left pos. cable if it's copper so I can solder on the ends on, I want. Craig
Craig,
The smaller wires that are on cables, what size wire.
Did you run ground wire to frame near batt.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by C Schomer
That sounds like it deserves a write up and a photo album. I would love to free up some space in the engine compartment if I ever get free time day light and warm weather to coincide
Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 AM

i would love to see a write up and pics on how to do this as well. i would love to move both of my batteries under the bed onto the frame rail, to free up space under the hood
Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
x2 on the QSB 40 piston part # request... (.040" over)
Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 PM

Yes this would be a nice thing to do.
If I was going to do mine, I think I would get one of those Posts that is in my wifes audi v8 engine compartment that you can use jumper cables on to jump start your car or somone elses car with, its got a nice little cover you remove and there is a poss post, its used because her battery is under the rear seat.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:12 PM

I think the small grounds are #8 or #10. Just don't delete any of them. I fished the 2/0 neg thru the frame and came out next to the engine and bolted it back onto the block. I put nylon wire loom over the pos. cable and ran it next to the stamped sheetmetal rib on the underside of the floorboard and up the inside of the frame to the starter. I ziptied it to whatever was handy. I used the crossover cable to refeed the intake heater solenoids and pick up the atlernator batt. wire. The left side will be a little different cuz I have to rewire all the accessories and fusebox. Craig
Old 04-30-2010, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
x2 on the QSB 40 piston part # request... (.040" over)
I will call Tim Barber, he used them in his truck.