3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Banks???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with it for it's reliability and safety.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see the safety side of it. I just don't see why people are all about the reliability of Banks. I have seen people post threads about problems with banks chips or programming just like other companies.

I also wish Banks would stop with the big 6 page ads in the diesel magazines that say "Banks outperforms 'em all" because they sure don't.....
Old 04-06-2007, 05:20 AM
Banned

Seems to be less problems with truck itself.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:46 AM

when I called Banks the guy on the phone told me that they had to stop the testing on a duramax with Bully Dog because it was trashing it. I want to be safe, and I think Banks has it covered
Old 04-07-2007, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well you were talking to a Banks guy??? They are all out to make a buck and by the HUGE ads they have I would say Banks is making more than most... it must come from somewhere... But my money would only go toward there hardware and never there software.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:41 PM

I think Banks gets a good chunk of their business off of rookie owners that don't know about the potential of their trucks and are unaware of the massive amount of different products available. They're probably people that don't spend time on forums doing the research that I think is necessary before you spend hard earned dollars on someone's product. I myself was almost guilty of that. I was on the phone with Banks several times shortly after I bought my first Diesel, a 99 7.3 back in June of 04. The seller gave me a superchip and had already cut the muffler off which kept me happy for about a year. Then in summer of 05 I was ready to tinker with things. I finally found a couple of forums and started learning about all the different things and decided I wasn't going to waste my money on Banks when I could get the same or better stuff for less. I ended up buying a TS chip instead of a six-gun, and a SS magnaflow kit for about 400 bucks instead of a Banks monster kit for 550.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dieseljunkie
I know a lot of people happy with the reliability of banks. They may not claim all the huge power increases that the others do, but they are reliable.
Scott

Oh, they claim the "Most", they just don't deliver on it.

The word "reliable" is tricky. That is used because they don't offer much in the way of hp/tq increase which doesn't trash your stock auto or clutch. Their electonics do fail. I used to read about it all the time here....now most going to performance forums are wise to Banks and don't buy their products anymore.

Do like mentioned above, intercooler, high ram, and exhaust are fine from Banks, otherwise their products are a huge waste of money. Their hard parts are overpriced as well, but made fine.

Banks is a marketing machine out to hit the rookie getting his feet wet in the diesel performance business. They don't beleive you are smart enough to turn you boxes down when towing or to watch gauges. For those that don't want to think about it and only want minimal gains, maybe Banks is for them.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Banks has their place in the aftermarket. I thought I wanted their stuff until I saw the price . I never knew what was really out there until I joined this forum. I thought Banks was the best. They're not. They're just another aftermarket company that caters to a certain crowd. I think it all depends on what you want out of your truck and how deep your pockets are. There are more cost effective and just as, if not more reliable products out there. They don't want to compete with other products because they believe they're superior.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:30 PM

I agree with both of the two previous posts. I really would not have a problem with Banks if they did not make such outrageous claims to being the best, and "Banks outperforms 'em all" clearly printed on all of their ads really gets under my skin.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:32 AM
Banned

I only disagree with the statement that they are just a marketing operation. I found their techs to be quite helpful, and knowledageable. And its not just for rookies, but for people who ask indepth questions.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 AM

Don't blame you for going with banks for the price, I am getting a great deal on their ottomind 6. I don't want big hp, and I already have a egt gauge so I just want a box that protects the trans and gives me a little bump. So for me banks it the way to go.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by annabelle
I went with it for it's reliability and safety.
100% agree

You see I have read a lot of Banks Bashing but when I read it is reliable and safe but people go on to say it is over priced I just don't get it. We are rolling around in some expensive rigs to be putting in cheap electronics to get more power briefly only to blow up the dang engine. If the Banks products maintain everyday drivablity while giving a performance boost how can it be over priced relative to other un proven products? Mind you I have no Banks or anything in my rig yet so I am by no means a "fan boy."
Old 04-10-2007, 10:05 AM

I'd definitely grab the inter cooler and intake if I was you.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:10 AM

Clearly for the last 3 posters, Banks is for you.

Banks bashing started for a reason. They used to buy from other, more enterprising and creative suppliers in the market place. They'd pull the other stickers off and put Banks stickers on. Then Banks would go out in the market place and Bash those other brands and say "Banks has more". You tell me who started the bashing? Thats why folks in the know, don't like Banks.

Gale Banks is a good business man, and understands marketing, you can't take that away from him. He has gotten big enough to R&D his own products these days. He got to where he is by being a leech from the creative minds in the diesel perfomance industry.

If you want safe, stay stock. Banks and Peformomance have no place in the same sentence.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
Clearly for the last 3 posters, Banks is for you.
.....not including Rocky. He posted before I could get mine in.

Quick Reply: Banks???