3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

B1 turbos

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B1 turbos

anyone ever taken a KSB1-2 and changed wheels or housings to make something else?
can it be done?

Im getting mixed answers
right now im packaging mine to send it to turbo auto diesel and see what can be done with it
last month I was told I could make nothing but a KS with it
now the story is changing slightly
from what I heard today- not all ksb1-2's are the same, some have wastegated housings , some dont (mine is ,but dissabled)
and different compressor wheels can be used (dont know what I have, looks quite large)

just wondering if anyone has dealt with this , so as to give me a little heads up as to what to expect

can anyone shed some light on the B1 mystery?

also , how do you know what model B1 you have?
there are no markings on it. All I know is what the seller told me

thought we were due for a good turbo thread
Old 03-09-2005, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I think the confusion may be coming from what you and I would be able to change ourselves verses what TAD can do. As I understand it, the bearing cartridge is the same on all. You and I can change housings only in our garage. That limits us to going from a standard B1 of any size into a standard B1 of any size......or a KS of any size to a KS of any size. We can't go from a KS to a standard (non-KS) as that requires changing wheels and rebalancing.

If you're sending it to TAD, they should be able to change whatever they need to make it whatever you want. It should be a piece of cake for them to give you a new non-KS exhaust housing with a functioning wastegate and new wheels, all balanced and ready to go.

Brian
Old 03-09-2005, 04:31 PM

well
that would be probably the best explanation ive heard so far
makes sense

hopefully that peice of cake doesnt cost as much as the whole cake
Old 03-09-2005, 04:47 PM

would it be right if I was told I can only go from my KSB1-2 to a B1-2 , not a full B1

and what is a B1-04 in comparison to a B1-2
and what is a B1-03 in comparison ( I see this listed on peirs' website)

what about the turbo makes it a -2

Too many variables

Ive got different answers to some of these questions every time I ask them
sometimes from the same people, so I ask everyone

hopefully someone who really knows can shed a little light
Old 03-09-2005, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Agades
would it be right if I was told I can only go from my KSB1-2 to a B1-2, not a full B1
I wouldn't think so, not exactly. Again, the center housing is the same on all B1s. Even the shaft size and bearings are the same on all B1s. Only the wheels and turbine/compressor housings are switched around to make different variations. I would think that anyone who has a balancing machine, whether it be TAD or not, could make any B1 into any variation you wanted as long as you had the cash to buy the new parts and the shop had access to them.

Originally posted by Agades
and what is a B1-04 in comparison to a B1-2
and what is a B1-03 in comparison ( I see this listed on peirs' website)

what about the turbo makes it a -2
Now you're getting in too deep. Your right....there are too many variations and I'm not sure what all of their variation designations mean. Best to get it straight from TAD.

It gets complicated and I'm not sure I have it right, but here goes.
The major differences are KS or non-KS. If it is a KS, it has XXX turbine housing and wheel on it. All KSs are the same on the turbine side. The -2 tells you what size compressor housing it has. For instance, a KSB1 has the KS turbine housing and a regular B1 compressor housing. A KSB1-2 has a KS turbine housing and a slightly smaller compressor housing.

Same for the regular B1. All regular B1s use the same turbine housings until you get into the 3-character designations like the B1-2-04(or EX4). A B1-2 has the same turbine side as a full B1, but a small compressor. Again, the -2 designates which compressor it has.

The 3-character designations change everything. The -2 in B1-2-04 still designates the compressor housing, but the -04 designates yet another exhaust housing different from the regular B1 or B1-2. So, A B1-2-03 or -04 has the same bearing housing as a full B1, slightly smaller compressor housing than a full B1, and a different (whether bigger or smaller) turbine housing than a full B1. I don't know the difference between a B1-2-03 and B1-2-04, but one just has a bigger turbine side.

As for a B1-04, I don't think there is such a beast. There may be now as I haven't looked in a long time, but generally when you see someone say B1-04 (myself included), we mean a B1-2-04. All of the people on the forums that say they are running a B1-04, it is a B1-2-04. A little confusing and we probably shouldn't say it like that, but it is generally understood (well, we thought) that a B1-04 is a B1-2-04. Same for a B1-03. It is a B1-2-03.

Have a better understanding of what confusion is now?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:08 AM

Still confused!!
Thanks for the explanation!!
I say B104 but yes, its a B1-2-04 WG.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:04 AM

I would call J.R. Adkins. he has a lot of knowledge on this turbo and other thurbos. Plus he sell them at a better price than anybody I have seen so far. 317 281 3130. Its worth the call just for the information. he will not sell you something you don't need or ca't afford
DM01
Old 03-10-2005, 11:26 AM

thing is
I already own the turbo
bought it used
never installed it because I knew it was gonna go poof as it is right now

I think I did the right thing by finally calling the guy who built it

just looking for a little knowledge, spread a little knowledge
even the guy I bought it from , who was considered one of the main sources for the b1, gave me conflicting answers every different time I talked to him
Old 03-11-2005, 08:51 AM

You could just buy a stock Schwitzer S300 that this guy is trying to pass off as B1s on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

What sucks is he will sell a few and the buyers will probably be none the wiser. I sent him an e-mail and asked if it is a B1, how come it still has the stock S300 ID tag on the bearing housing in the picture. No answer.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by AK RAM
You could just buy a stock Schwitzer S300 that this guy is trying to pass off as B1s on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

What sucks is he will sell a few and the buyers will probably be none the wiser. I sent him an e-mail and asked if it is a B1, how come it still has the stock S300 ID tag on the bearing housing in the picture. No answer.

errrr , well , ummmmmm, ya see, uhhhhhh, I , er , well its just like a b1
Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 PM

The guy answered. Here is what he said:

"I HAVE BOUGHT TURBOS FROM TAD AND THE S300 THAT COMES FROM BORG WARNER IS THE SAME AS THE STD SPOOL FROM TAD.A B1 IS A S300 WITH A JOHN DEER TURBO HOUSING.THEY PASS THERE PUT TOGETHER TURBO AS THE BEST I PUT BOTH OF THE TURBOS TO THE TEST AND THE BORG WARNER MADE 18 MORE HORSE POWER.AND BORG WARNER DOES NOT GIVE YOU ANY PROBLEMS WHEN SOMETHING BREAKS. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU. THANKS SHAWN"
Old 03-11-2005, 09:05 PM

Yeah but it's still false advertisement.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:25 PM
DTR Advertiser

good old ebay!

Don~
Old 03-12-2005, 11:14 PM

The -2 stands for the type of wheel used, a -2 is more agressive than a -1 wheel. A B1-03 is a quick-spool housing and a B1-04 is a standard B1 housing.

John
Old 03-13-2005, 12:11 AM

Ok, now tell me what a B1-2-04 is, and do you know any of the specs on this turbo as far a wheels and exhaust housings?

Thanks

Quick Reply: B1 turbos