3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ATS transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATS transmission

I have a 2005. 5.9 4wd with the 48re. Got stuck in 1st gear. Brought to "hack" shop and "rebuilt" then had me tow it away. I need a replacement badly. Considering the ATS. Any thoughts from anyone? I want something reliable and able to tow my 8500 lb 5th wheel.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have limited funds and rely on my truck for work daily.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMG don't do ATS! I've read so many bad threats on cumminsforum & comp. about their trans that it's not even funny! Look at Goerend, HTS or somebody else
Old 01-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have had an ATS transmission for 4 years now, not a bit of trouble, and I beat on it almost every day.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ATS seems to make decent stuff, but I never hear many good things about their customer service if there is an issue.

Gorend is someone else I would look into.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Such a tough decision. Still doing my research and hoping to get lots of input. I know if someone does have a problem with somebody you here about it but if all goes smoothly you never hear about. I haven't discarded the possibility of ATS. I may call them and get some info. The Goerends seem a little pricier but generally we get what we pay for. I definitely don't want to have to do this again anytime soon. Thanks again for the input. Still mulling it over.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 PM

Well I have an ATS stage 1 with 5 star tq and what an improvement is all I will say. Now on the customer service part, well I must be real lucky because their great in talking with me. Not because I have issue. Just asking questions. It is a hole different animal its like I gain 2 more gears. Also my thought is find a local dealer for that handles the braind you choice and that will save you a ton of headecks. As they have an established relationship with them. Gorend was my first choice but no local support and I wasn't going to do it my self. Just an FYI mine was $5070.60 OTD installed at a well know shop. I added flex plate since tranny was out so just part cost.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

What are your goals? Don't skimp. You're close to ATS, being near the distributor and being able to go there help a lot.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 PM

Hello Madhat. I tried to finf the closest Ats dealer- do you know if any exist in Northern Nevada? On another post someone suggested you are very familiar with ATS. Thanks everybody for the feedback.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Comstock100
Hello Madhat. I tried to finf the closest Ats dealer- do you know if any exist in Northern Nevada? On another post someone suggested you are very familiar with ATS. Thanks everybody for the feedback.
Check there site they post there authorized dealers. Thats how I found my shop here in AZ then come to find out a few of my other dodge friends used them for an ATS
Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I was going to suggest that you go straight to ATS, but then I looked at a map . Look here...

http://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/dealer...alermap_us.asp

A lot of people complain about their customer service, but those same people will only call once and expect a problem with their tranny to get fixed over the phone like magic.

If you do run into any problems, let me or John_P know, we both know people at ATS that are VERY interested in making sure that every customer has good service.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a stage 1 ATS I've put about 12,000 mi on so far so good. I tow an 11,000 lb fifth wheel with no problems. Make sure you change the flexplate or you will be pulling out the trans when you tear out the center of the flexplate like I did.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 PM

I met with a builder in Reno "Transcraft" that comes highly recommended from several people I have spoken with. Speaking with Michael and seeing his shop I am confident he will build a strong transmission for a very fair price ( including tc).
Ammco basically said it would be an open ended bill and that doesn't work for me.
I will update when the transmission is complete and I am driving down the road in confidence again. Thanks everyone for all your feedback. It was all very helpful and great support in a stressful situation.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Good deal. Using an independent can be a good thing.

Before he starts, ask him where he's getting his parts from, what company, and let us know.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 PM

Good idea. I did question him but failed to write down the names. I requested he be specific in the estimate regarding parts used. The estimate should be here shortly.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 PM

I am also in the market for a transmission. I tow a 28ft 5th wheel, the truck has only a chip. I have been very impressed by ATS's advertising. I like that they make the clutches and TQ's in house as well as a variety of other things and they seem to have very high quality components at that. I like that they dyno each trans behind an actual cummins engine. I also like that on their web page you can see what you get with the stage of transmission that you chose, the others companys out there are not quite as informative. Im not real excited about my local ATS dealer so I would probably drive to Denver to have it installed at ATS's main facility. I havn't worked with the customer service yet, Il be calling them soon to discuss the posibility of a new trans so Il have to feel them out at that point. Il also be calling Goerend and Suncoast to feel them out but as for now I feel more in tune with the ATS because of the wealth of info shared on their website.

Quick Reply: ATS transmission