3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ATS Trannies

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATS Trannies

Anyone running an ATS transmission? I am thinking about purchasing one and would like to hear the pros and cons about thier product. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:09 PM

ATS Tranny

My first truck I had an ATS. You can't go wrong. Excellent tranny. Be sure to get as much billet as you can afford and especially get the flex plate. Mine turned into a handgrenade!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an ATS tranny, if youd like to take a ride hit me up, where in colorado are you at?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:23 AM

located here in beautiful Colorado Springs
Old 12-11-2006, 08:32 AM

The ATS trucks take 30 seconds to a minute longer than a Goerend converter to spool up and than causes more heat inside yopu know.
I am sorry but you are flat out wrong with that statement.
Any GOOD pulling truck in Indiana with an Auto uses an ATS converter.
Let me list some for you: Terry Coppess, Scott Amos, Chris Harness, Carl Sugg, Mike Schinlaub. Not too mention the whole slew of Duramaxes that ONLY use ATS trannies and converters to SLEDPULL with.

There are some that are using the Goerand converters and they dont do as well as a whole but I dont think its all the trannies fault either.

By the way, the ATS Triplelok that is used for Sledpulling is not the same off the shelf unit. Haisley Machine and some other pullers had ATS special make the high stall pulling converters specifically for pulling trucks.....
The high stall lets them spool at the line.

Converters with high efficiency torque converters can't spool at the line cause they are too efficient.

Ok...Back to the thread at hand.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:51 AM

I love my ATS...have pushed 500+ hp through it for 80k. Almost 155k on the truck now. I agree with Out of Here...buy as much billet as you can...it will pay off in the future. I would also get a controller and learn how to use it.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:04 AM

Ive never had a goerend and im not gonna sit here and tell you whats best. BUT, "my" ats tranny and twins do not take 30 seconds to a minute to spool up. I agree with pourindiesel 100%. When you see the sled pullers and drag racers, they usally dont have the same tranny that your gonna buy off the shelf. Do some research and find out some "facts" for yourself and whats gonna work best for what you plan to do. I think your gonna be happy no matter what way you go.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:36 AM

ATS has covered/warrantied a 3-4k repair not caused by them...and ate more than 50% of the repair cost when I busted a stock intermediate shaft that wiped out the rest of my tranny.

I think they stand behind their product! I have no experience with Goerand or HTS...so I won't comment.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:53 AM

I currently have a Heinz 69 tranny that is mostly ATS. The one mistake to be made when getting a built tranny is not getting everything done at once and sooner rather than later. A billet flexplate, input and intermediate billet shafts are a necessity if you plan on towing heavy, exhaust braking or running big hp or any combination of these three. Most TC companies have different TC for what you are doing with your truck.....racing, pulling, towing, etc. Don't buy a 93% TC to win the once a month street race with some dufus down the street if you are really interested in having a good mileage tow rig. JMHO from someone who has spent way too much time and money fixing his tranny by not getting built sooner and better from the start. Lunch is over and the keyboard is crumbed up....gotta go. ks
Old 12-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Banned

Whats this whole percentage converter thing, sorry not to hijack but im kinda curious what i have? The only thing i dont like about my tranny is some times when doing about thirty and i go from a little throttle to none it kinda klunks, rather then shifts in the next gear?? Maybe just my driving style, someone told me to get a different builders valvebody but i dont even know if thats what it is.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:05 PM

It might just be your TC locking or unlocking...where is it set to lock...do you have a controller?

I can make mine do that if I want...or not do it depending on how I drive or where my converter is set to lock. That is the slack in the drivetrain....gears through u-joints through your rear gears catching up or slowing down when the converter locks/unlocks.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:00 PM

They have the best TQ converter in my opinion and they do warranty their transmissions when they break, if you live in Colorado it may not be a bad deal because you can take it right to them. My first ATS lasted from May 18th to August 15th of 2006. I did not get a warranty trans back in my truck until October 20th!!! So like I said if your close it isnt a problem but I was told that new sales go first and there was no extra cores to rebuild mine so I waited with no truck for two months. When my new one came it was getting second gear starts and they had to send a new solenoid to fix that which was another 3 days. My new one seems to be working really good I just wish it shifted harder than it does.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

yes cquested i have a co pilot but im not seeing the lock up LED light so i dont think thats what it is?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Banned

I didnt see anywhere that said this thread was about old tranny wars?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:47 PM

Humm... I guess someone didn't like my statements on this post and somehow erased them.

Quick Reply: ATS Trannies