3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

ATS or BD Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...er.php?u=19559

http://www.trediesel.com/transmission.htm

Looks like Tim Barber is a little over 300 miles from you. He might be an option for you if you like DTT Transmissions. He can pull yours, build it and reinstall it.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very happy with my Goerend zero problems and the service is top notch. I had him ship a tranny to me, I installed it and shipped the core back to him again zero problems. You can always have him ship one to you and then have someone local install one for you. Chances are , except for a lucky few, a local tranny builder of the caliber of Goerend, HTS, etc is going to be several hundred miles away. Pick the one you want and have it shipped to you. If I went with the use a local guy mentality I would have an AAMCO or ATS tranny, neither of which I wanted.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 PM

i have a goerend and i am very happy with it customer service is awesome. now i have seen first hand the internals of an ats tranny with approx 80k on it . truck had around 500-550 hp and it looked great. i also had the pleasure of riding in that truck tranny worked great in my opinoin.

ask John P on here he knows them real well
( administrator)
Old 07-15-2008, 11:04 PM

Dont go With the BD unless you want to replace it every 6 months.
I am on My third one in less than 20000 km and Im not making that much power. They Did replace them on Warrnty but made it sound like it was all my fault. When this one dies Im NOT replacing it with a BD.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 PM

I've had an ats full billit for about a year now an I am by no means esy on my truck. the only problems i've had is electronic. I called ATS and told them my problem and what codes I was getting and they asked if there was a shop I wanted to take it to and they would send the parts and pay the shop. I did the repair myself and they took very quick and good care of me. that customer service for a large company is good in my book.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by good ole boy
Dont go With the BD unless you want to replace it every 6 months.
I am on My third one in less than 20000 km and Im not making that much power. They Did replace them on Warrnty but made it sound like it was all my fault. When this one dies Im NOT replacing it with a BD.
X2, I had the BD VB/TC, they are not much heavier than stock IMO. Suncoast and HTS is the way I would go, find a local guy who knows what he's doing w/ the 48RE, it's not a tricky transmission at all.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:38 PM

I Am On My Third Ats Tranny. They Are Always There To Help. I Only Paid For The First One. The Other Two Are Warranty. It Is A Pain, But They Always Have Great Customer Service.

06 Dodge Mega Cab,ats Full Billet,ats 5 Star Converter,ats Copilot Lockup,ats Compouds 3000 & 5000,ats Stage 4 200 Hp Injectors,arc Flow Intake,ats Fire Ringed And Big Valve Head,arp Studs,smarty Tnt/r,snow Water Meth,superlift Ladder Bars,ats Twin Cp3, I Cant Remember Everything.
683 Hp 1374 Tq 13.3 @ 105.27 1/4 Mile Just Ordered Tst Powermax Cr I Hope To Be I The 12's
Old 07-16-2008, 02:01 PM
tcr

Honestly, IMO you guys on your second and third ATS or (brand B) trannies under warranty, that's not such a great thing. I'm on my 1st Suncoast and I better not have to get a second or third or I'll be ticked, warranty or not.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:49 PM

Well put...as long as your truck does not grow up. A BIG problem is once person A gets Tranny B for X amount of HP...and then 6 months or a year or whenever later...decides to spend more money...person A should not expect Tranny B to work on 1.2X or 1.3X or 2.0X or whatever more amount of hp.

Every time the hp jumps...you SHOULD check with your vendor to see if you have exceeded any part of that tranny's capacity. It is NOT fair to keep changing the rules to which the builder has to play by!

That being said...I have broken about all that can be broken in a 48re...including a case! LOL

I have been a proud/happy owner of a Ultimate Transmission for nearly a year and a hard ~800hp plus 20k mileage. Had my fliud changed the other day and some monir tweaks...it all looked great...and performs great.

I do believe having that builder close to you is the best option for most. So if you are within a days drive of Boise...consider them as well.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:59 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cquestad
Well put...as long as your truck does not grow up. A BIG problem is once person A gets Tranny B for X amount of HP...and then 6 months or a year or whenever later...decides to spend more money...person A should not expect Tranny B to work on 1.2X or 1.3X or 2.0X or whatever more amount of hp.

Every time the hp jumps...you SHOULD check with your vendor to see if you have exceeded any part of that tranny's capacity. It is NOT fair to keep changing the rules to which the builder has to play by!
A very strong point that is often overlooked. Even when nothing is broken, a tranny can be set up for say 500hp, then the engine is making 700hp, and the owner is thinking "why does this not shift right now, my tranny is no good"... the point I am making is that nothing even has to be "broken" for the difference to be noticed.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:19 PM

I tow an equipment trailer that is about 14000lbs. Up hills and down hills. I push my truck when not towing. My ATS transmission is holding up great. One thing I did notice was my trans temp is much cooler than it was with the strock transmission. I have no complaints about ATS products. ATS is a large company, shipping out more transmissions than most. This might be why you hear more negative things about them than you do others. There's more ATS trannys out there. Of course you will get one that breaks once in a while.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since everyone else is chiming in...........

I cleaned out my truck the other week and threw away over 200 quarter mile time slips from the console. That is a lot of tranny abuse. If you do your research and learn what the individual parts are designed to do and you can make a better, informed decision. I wouldn't trade my ATS TC and VB for the world, but I would not use their master update kit. There are folks that design internals to do certain things.

Check out my signature for what I run. I haven't raced in two years, but I tow a lot since I stopped racing. I still have not done anything to it but change the fluid after 200+ races and two years of towing. I haven't even adjusted the bands (lazy, I know).
Old 07-17-2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by elandon1201
ATS has great customer service before the check clears.
You hit the nail on the head with that one. I will never own anything that has ATS on it. If anyone is coming to schieds in august. I'll be easy to pick out with an ATS t-shirt that has a special saying on it.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:03 AM

Recently I purcashed a used twin cp3 kit made by ATS. The kit lacked one fitting so I was unable to install it. I made a couple calls to ATS to request the fitting (which I couldn't get anyplace else after much searching) and a couple of days following I had a package on my doorstep. No charge.

Not bad for service considering I purchased the twin kit elsewhere (granted I did purchase other stuff from them in the past!).