3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Anyone had issues w/Howards Cool Down Timer & Dodge Sentry Key System

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone had issues w/Howards Cool Down Timer & Dodge Sentry Key System

Hi to all I searched the forums but did not find answer on this subject. It appears the stock Sentry Key "programing"/"computer" shuts down the engine b4 the 2,4 or 6 minutes of a properly working Howards Cool Down timer. It appears the vehicle shuts down b4 the 2,4 or 6 minutes because it is not "detecting" the presence of the Dodge Sentry key? Anyone seen this or heard of it?
Is it possible to adjust the length of time b4 the Pick up's "computer" says "hmm I dont detect the chip/key that is supposed to be with the Pick up to run I better shut down"?
Please respond with advice...
Thanks in advance to all
Old 06-05-2006, 01:35 PM

Oh great... I have the howards cool down timer sitting next to me waiting to be installed. I hope I don't have this issue. Your talking about the security key as in the grey keys?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Muted User

Reply to Horse hauler

Yes I am I installed my Howards over the weekend it was very easy (hope you have a "volt" meter or "Ohm" meter to detect the "hot side" of the fuses "line" they recommend to) & works great although I noticed that it shuts off b4 the 2 minutes were up & yet the the led light was still on the howards as still having power. I didnt try it at the 4-6 minute interval to double check I can turn the **** to but I doubt it will make a difference. Anyway that tells me the truck shut itself down with out the "chip" nearby. The reason I suspect this is that I had just a regular key made to open the doors with a hidden magnetic box in case I locked my keys in. The key opens the doors & fits in the ignition & starts the pick up but it then shuts down after ohh about 1 minute. I am assuming its becuase a "regular" key does not have a chip in it.
I am wondering if there is a way to reprogram/bypass? the Sentry key system to shut down after 6-7 minutes? I hope I can resolve this issue inexpensively sitting in the pick up a few min idling is a pain in the cabose!
Old 06-05-2006, 01:53 PM

Im not sure when i get to tackle the installation but thanks for the heads up. Keep us updated if you find out a way around it. I'll let you know how mine acts when I get it installed. I would think some other laramie owners have the howards timer and will chime in soon...
Old 06-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Muted User

Reply to Horse Hauler

I "talked" with some folks on other sites & they said to crank up the time. There can be "varible" times its not exactly 2 mins ( I was recording 1:30 ish on my but appears to be working at the higher settings although I did not crank it up to 6 minutes at the 4 min setting it was still going after 3 minutes so I guess all is well....
Old 06-05-2006, 02:16 PM

sounds good, thanks for the update
Old 06-07-2006, 02:49 PM

I have black keys. Do they have the chip? Will the timer work with them?
Old 06-07-2006, 04:53 PM

This can be an issue with remote start setup also. To alleviate the issue you can buy an extra key, break off the actual key part, and hide the rest up under the dash. Car audio and alarm shops do this kind of thing all the time.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Muted User

Reply to Got meat

I dont know what the key color means but mine are black w 3 buttons on them
open , close & panic. I did notice that the oem power locks & "chirp" only work up to ohh about 30 seconds after you engage the Howards for some reason after that time you have to hit the manual lock button. I dont know why. So be ready to get out & lock the door fairly quickly once you engage the Howards if you want to lock the door with your key fob.

As I problably wont be putting in a remote start (although that would be nice)I actually was looking for both a remote start & cool down which I think is available as I was researching this, anyway I seem to recall finding one that would do both but only on automatics... I have a manual tranny I could not find a remote start & cool down "gizmo" with a manual tranny set up.

Anyway I really like the Howards gizmo it is sooooo nice not having to sit there while your turbo cools down. I would say one of the best values I have seen of an aftermarket gizmo in quick payback..

Now if I could just get a Quadzilla for the same price....