3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Anti Smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anti Smoke!

I see many folks trying to get more smoke out of their engines. For what sane purpose?

Smoke might be fine and cool at track events, however have you ever considered the safety, liability, and legal issues that may occur if you cause someone to have an accident because of the cloud of smoke you may leave? Not to mention smoke is just an indicator of tremendous fuel inefficiency. All that smoke is just unburnt wasted fuel and it is not really good to breathe it either.

A few months back I let some diesel (don't remember what it was) in front of me while getting on the on-ramp to a freeway here. As he accelerated up to highway speed he left a huge long black cloud which I subsequently entered and was blinded to traffic around me for a couple of seconds. A scenario for a bad accident especially if an inexperienced driver had followed this truck or for vehicles maneuvering to change lanes behind the truck for an off-ramp, etc.

Please leave the smoke for windless days at the track.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amen to that. I set my Juice to least amount of smoke possible for normal driving. Big clouds of smoke should be for racing and dyno pulling only.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:39 AM

I only smoke those who deserve it (tailgaters) and so on.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only smoke after......... aww - nevermind!
Old 12-16-2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I only smoke after......... aww - nevermind!
That is some funny stuff.

It's not like the trucks smoke all the time. I used to be able to make a 3 lane highway disappear in my mirrors. I'd have to make the truck do it, but sometimes people deserve it because they are oblivious to the world.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:36 AM

Yea, I’d have to agree that smoke is unnecessary. My truck can make a pretty good cloud when stock. If you keep running like Pappy then get in to it you see a cloud. After a couple of good takeoffs you won’t see much smoke. I try to remain cognizant of someone behind me however. I have however let a few tailgaters know they need to back off.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by chrleb1
but sometimes people deserve it because they are oblivious to the world.
As in oblivious to world ecology, global warming, pollution, climate, green house gasses? What do ya mean?
Old 12-16-2007, 09:48 AM

To the people on the highway with them.

Diesel smoke is different. It's carbon. Plants and trees thrive on carbon. The smoke will actually settle after it cools. If you take a trip up I-80 between Sacramento and Reno, the trees are dead next to the road from all of the gas emissions. Next to the train tracks, they are green as can be. Ever seen the trains smoke climbing those hills?
Old 12-16-2007, 09:55 AM

I agree the smoke can get annoying, but know this, if someone rides my tail or does something to deserve it they are going to eat the black cloud. Thats just the way it is.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by kokalit
I see many folks trying to get more smoke out of their engines. For what sane purpose?

Smoke might be fine and cool at track events, however have you ever considered the safety, liability, and legal issues that may occur if you cause someone to have an accident because of the cloud of smoke you may leave? Not to mention smoke is just an indicator of tremendous fuel inefficiency. All that smoke is just unburnt wasted fuel and it is not really good to breathe it either.

A few months back I let some diesel (don't remember what it was) in front of me while getting on the on-ramp to a freeway here. As he accelerated up to highway speed he left a huge long black cloud which I subsequently entered and was blinded to traffic around me for a couple of seconds. A scenario for a bad accident especially if an inexperienced driver had followed this truck or for vehicles maneuvering to change lanes behind the truck for an off-ramp, etc.

Get over it...
Old 12-16-2007, 11:20 AM

The number of diesel trucks I see on the road that smoke, even a little, are few and far between. IMO there are better things to worry about.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by kokalit

Your on the wrong forum too complain about a little smoke...
Old 12-16-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by chrleb1
To the people on the highway with them.

Diesel smoke is different. It's carbon. Plants and trees thrive on carbon. The smoke will actually settle after it cools. If you take a trip up I-80 between Sacramento and Reno, the trees are dead next to the road from all of the gas emissions. Next to the train tracks, they are green as can be. Ever seen the trains smoke climbing those hills?

Cool info Chrleb1.

I don't like smoke, but if it means better power, MPG, and lower EGT's, I will live with it. And I have blacked out rude drivers a few times.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:30 AM

Now I can say I make my truck smoke on purpose because I love trees that much.

Real tree-huggers smoke for the environment.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by flytrip
As in oblivious to world ecology, global warming, pollution, climate, green house gasses? What do ya mean?
Do you realize that in your statement 3 out of the 5 things you listed are myths?

Global warming is a tree-huggin' hippies only reason too live....too bad there is no such thing. Climate change is the nature of the beast.....we are still in an ice-age.....every 60,000 years the earth has "climate change" so yet another piece of propaganda. And Black smoke is JUST carbon.....so therefore there are no greenhouse gas emmisions with it.

Quick Reply: Anti Smoke!