3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Amsoil EA Air Filters Not That Great?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil EA Air Filters Not That Great?

I know a lot of us are running the Amsoil EA Filters. So far I have been fairly happy with mine, I know it doesn't flow all THAT great though because my filter minder pulls down more with this than my old Napa Gold paper filter.

However I was looking thru www.thetruthaboutfilters.com and was surprised to see that the Amsoil EA filters not only were tested to be more restrictive than stock filters by 9%, they also had LESS efficiency as well. Of all the filters they tested it was one of the worst for flow and very average or below for efficiency.

I would normally say the results were doctored to favor S&B Filters, but for example, Air Raid beat S&B straight up and they posted those results, so I think they are being pretty honest.

Makes me wonder now if I shouldn't get a different air filter....
Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 PM

I have the same filter. I have not noticed any mpg or performance increase with the Amsoil filter.I probably will not buy another amsoil at their prices.

Has anyone actually used a filter that does any improvement other than the noise difference?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have about 10k on the Ea189 and the filter minder is still at 35%. With the factory filter it would be around 75%.
My boost is still the same so no flow issue there.

I'll take that report with a grain of salt.

MikeyB
Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ISO 5011 test data

this is the most comprehensive report I've found on this subject ... I know it's been posted before, but it's applicable to this discussion ...

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
BRT

Some Amsoil reps have posted that the filter used in the Duramax diesel.com test was an older foam oiled filter that they don't even sell anymore.

800 cfm I believe was the number for the Nano filter.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found new info on S&B site - in their ISO 5011 reports

Originally Posted by BRT
Some Amsoil reps have posted that the filter used in the Duramax diesel.com test was an older foam oiled filter that they don't even sell anymore.

800 cfm I believe was the number for the Nano filter.
Ya, I forgot to mention that thanks ... I didn't know what filter they compared exactly, but I do know that the test is a few years old now ... I believe 2004.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll believe the aftermarket hype and product pushing when they compare apples to apples their product vs. stock in a controlled ISO 5011 test, until then I'll reserve my judgement on their effectiveness. I believe S&B posts their CFM and restriction numbers vs. stock (yay!!!!) but I have reservations about putting an oiled filter on diesels.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:09 PM

For both being what is supposed to be certified tests, the numbers dont match at all, especially considering they are both test of some of the same filters for the same vehicle application.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:16 PM

I will tell you guys something, I work in an industry that has more testing capabilities on one single product that you can shake a stick at. Now, having said that, if there is to be apples to apples performance, flow, wear, blah, blah, blah, the test platform has to be the industry standard same throughout. I'm not gonna ***** about my Eaa189 drop in compared to my K&N planter box sitting in the corner of my garage, but I DO KNOW that the air going into my engine is filtered better and cleaner.

WOOD!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by DevilzTower
Ya, I forgot to mention that thanks ... I didn't know what filter they compared exactly, but I do know that the test is a few years old now ... I believe 2004.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll believe the aftermarket hype and product pushing when they compare apples to apples their product vs. stock in a controlled ISO 5011 test, until then I'll reserve my judgement on their effectiveness. I believe S&B posts their CFM and restriction numbers vs. stock (yay!!!!) but I have reservations about putting an oiled filter on diesels.

These tests showing the Amsoil EA filter to be less than spectacular WERE done in a controlled ISO 5011, putting their filter up against pretty much every other notable aftermarket filter out there. It lends them a little credibility as well that they showed Air Raid filters kicking their butts in the test too. AFE Proguard 7 also did really well.

I was just disappointed in the Amsoil's efficiency rating. (On top of having 9% more restriction than the stock filter they tested it against) These things are supposed to be the best filtering filter out there yet they were not looking so hot in these tests.

My actual stock filter was restrictive bad, but my stock replacement Napa Gold drop in I got later flowed very well. Just depends on what "stock" you mean. Stock for a PSD might flow better, I don't know.

I recently took my intake hoses apart to put my cord on my block heater and noted there was some dust on everything, which surprised me because last time I had it off after having the Napa filter in there, it was clean as could be. I thought I had a sealing problem somewhere since the Amsoil filter is so good it has to be something else right? Well I went through everything and didn't find any problem areas, just retightened everything down and will check again sometime. I even put a dab of grease along the top edge of the filter to make sure the lid of the airbox was seating properly. (It was) I guess I need to do a UOA because I haven't done one in a LONG time. Maybe that will tell me how well it is filtering.

I hope it is doing a good job, I spent a fair amount of money on it, and they are cleanable so I figured I might have it as long as I own the truck. I am a believer in Amsoil products for the most part, have never done me wrong, but was a bit surprised by this study. Even if it is from another company.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 AM

Good point, I am still satisfied with my nanofiber and commonly check inside the intake tube and don't find a dusted coating on the inside so far. I think I'v e had mine for 15k. I am all for good flow cause I'm going for mileage and efficiency.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:49 AM

Its a filter? Do you want flow or filtration. Theres a compromise along the curve some where.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:54 AM

From DevilTowerz link.

"Does it flow better? At very high airflow volumes, probably. BUT, Our trucks CAN'T flow that much air unless super-modified, so what is the point? The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give. And this remains true until the filter is dirty enough to trip the air filter life indicator. At that point performance will decline somewhat. Replace the filter and get on with it."
Old 02-07-2008, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by CTD Guy76
From DevilTowerz link.

And this remains true until the filter is dirty enough to trip the air filter life indicator. At that point performance will decline somewhat. Replace the filter and get on with it."
sorry but that is rediculous. the 'air filter life indicator' (filter minder) is USELESS! i've owned ctd's for over 10 years and been around friends' for even longer, and have seen drop-in replacement filters in the factory air box that were completely black and clogged with dirt, dust, bugs, etc. that had not moved the filter minder at all. i've also seen brand new aftermarket filters in an aftermarket intake, pull the filter minder down after one day of use- the reason is called the venturi effect, and has nothing to do with the filter being dirty or clogged.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:00 PM

Filter minders CAN tell you the difference in flow between two filters though. If one brand new filter pulls the minder down on a WOT run, then you put another filter in and do a WOT run and it isn't pulled down, which do you think flows better?

An oils gauze element will look FILTHY and still be outflowing a cleaner looking paper filter. Because more of the dust is stuck to the outside edge where the oil is making it look dirtier. I am not saying the filter better, but judging a filter's restriction level based on the way it looks it akin to thinking your oil is used up in your 04.5 or newer CTD because it is black. Doesn't mean a **** thing.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by CTD Guy76
Its a filter? Do you want flow or filtration. Theres a compromise along the curve some where.
This isn't just about flow. Amsoil claims their filter flows better, AND filters better. And has more capacity. Yet in controlled ISO studies they were shown to not only flow LESS than a stock PSD filter, they also filtered LESS as well. It did have great capacity however.

I don't care nearly as much about flow as I do about protection from dirt. So I bought the Amsoil thinking it would give THE BEST protection against dirt while still flowing good enough.

If this study is to be believed....this filter is not all it's cracked up to be.

Unless S&B have something out for Amsoil in particular, I don't see why they would show AirRaid and Proguard beating their own product yet doctor the results to show Amsoil being inferior. Makes no sense.

I didn't want to start an argument, I am just throwing this out there as food for thought.

Quick Reply: Amsoil EA Air Filters Not That Great?