3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

air bags on lifted application?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly is the advantage of those long travel bags?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
Just what you said, long travel.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:30 AM

Mike,

How do the upper brackets mount to the frame? Do they wrap around the frame or have a leg that sits on top of the frame rail? I ask because I have a B & W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch, and it sits on top of the frame rail and spans from driver's to passenger's side directly above the axle. The inner side of the frame is clear, but the top and outer side frame is blocked by the hitch. Do you think I could still mount these bags under my truck?

Originally Posted by jrussell
Those look pretty sweet.

Any pics of them at normal ride height? I'm wondering if they can really compress 10" from the position shown?
If Sage and Mike say they can.....they can. These guys build stuff that really works, they don't just say they work. They're the type of guys you want working on your ride.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
Just what you said, long travel.
Ok well here is how I am lookin at it you are still sittin on spring's, so do the long travel bags just take all the pressure of the spring so you get more of a air ride or what?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:40 AM

JD,

These are for guys who love to run their trucks hard offroad, but still have to tow things now and again. To get top performance in the dirt guys like me rework the leaf spring pack for a softer, smoother ride and more useable travel to soak up those big hits. This usually means we lose some load carrying capacity, and with the big 5th wheel toyhauler hooked up the rear sags a ton. Just adding the standard off the shelf air bag kit will give back the capacity lost, but it will take back the added travel gained with the new springs. With Sage and Mike's solution, we retain all the benefits of the new springs (soft ride and added travel) but can level up the truck for pulling the toyhauler to the desert or what have you.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:44 AM

Ok well here is how I am lookin at it you are still sittin on spring's, so do the long travel bags just take all the pressure of the spring so you get more of a air ride or what?
While not loaded I don't believe the bags will be doing much work. They may need to have 5-10 p.s.i. in them at all times, but for the most part they are just there for the ride until loaded up.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned

Oh ok well that makes more sense to me, when you are loaded and barralin down the highway and hit a dip does the backend kindoff float up and down?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
I am not sure how the LT bags are made...but you "can't" rip out a Firestone. I hope the are that tough! I tried...and could not do it.
I work on Dodges every day.........maybe you havent been able to rip out a Firestone bag but I see them pulled out of their mountings all the time,as well as bent brackets and broken u-bolts.Some of us work our rigs harder than others.

Bob
Old 03-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bob4x4
I work on Dodges every day.........maybe you havent been able to rip out a Firestone bag but I see them pulled out of their mountings all the time,as well as bent brackets and broken u-bolts.Some of us work our rigs harder than others.

Bob
Ya my buddy ripped out his rear axle the other day I should get some pics of that ya all would die, and when we all asked him what happened he said he hit a rock????????
Old 03-30-2007, 10:50 AM

Oh ok well that makes more sense to me, when you are loaded and barralin down the highway and hit a dip does the backend kindoff float up and down?
I am running 3" king shocks The ride is very controlled.The way Carli has these shocks valved is nothing short of amazing.I have a very smooth ride on the road but can still tackle ANY terrain off road with amazing speed.These are the same shocks that trophy trucks were running a couple years back.

Bob
Old 03-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Banned

Those look pretty sweet.

Any pics of them at normal ride height? I'm wondering if they can really compress 10" from the position shown?

I'll get you guys some more pics soon. But yes they do compress all the way. We tested them on the Baja 250 course just a few weeks ago.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bob4x4
I am running 3" king shocks The ride is very controlled.The way Carli has these shocks valved is nothing short of amazing.I have a very smooth ride on the road but can still tackle ANY terrain off road with amazing speed.These are the same shocks that trophy trucks were running a couple years back.

Bob
Well I see how this works for you guys but it would be pointless for me my truck just needs to get me and my mule to the end of the pavement than ol Kip takes over from there and he is real good at rockcrawling!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Mike,

How do the upper brackets mount to the frame? Do they wrap around the frame or have a leg that sits on top of the frame rail? I ask because I have a B & W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch, and it sits on top of the frame rail and spans from driver's to passenger's side directly above the axle. The inner side of the frame is clear, but the top and outer side frame is blocked by the hitch. Do you think I could still mount these bags under my truck?

If Sage and Mike say they can.....they can. These guys build stuff that really works, they don't just say they work. They're the type of guys you want working on your ride.
Upper mount was actually redesigned after our initial prototype just for the reason you that you stated. One of the boys at Deaver has the same hitch and so we redesigned them so it would work. I've actually never been a fan of airbags but these bags ride really nice even when unloaded. These things are making a fan out of me.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I hear ya. These guys definitely have the best reputation possible and I would believe it if they said it.

However, I think it was only stated that the bags have 10" of travel. Having 10" of travel and being able to properly use it while inflated are two different things though. I'm just trying to picture what those bags in the pics would look like when fully compressed (10") with air in them. Seems like they would have to "balloon" out quite a bit to get a full 10" of compression out of them, and then the bottom mount wouldn't be large enough to contain/protect the bag.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Banned

I hear ya. These guys definitely have the best reputation possible and I would believe it if they said it.

However, I think it was only stated that the bags have 10" of travel. Having 10" of travel and being able to properly use it while inflated are two different things though. I'm just trying to picture what those bags in the pics would look like when fully compressed (10") with air in them. Seems like they would have to "balloon" out quite a bit to get a full 10" of compression out of them, and then the bottom mount wouldn't be large enough to contain/protect the bag.

The bottom of the bag actually rolls over the bottom aluminum piece. It's kinda hard to explain I'll have to get you some pics. But, rest assured we have definately put them through their paces.

Quick Reply: air bags on lifted application?